“Busy Waikiki” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel

Save Saved
You added Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel to your Saves list
Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2464 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Special Offer
10% Off with #AstonLife
Ranked #30 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
iowa
“Busy Waikiki”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great location across the street from Waikiki Beach. Great for getting to the beach. Bad for all the foot traffic--not an escape from the hubbub. You can easily walk anywhere along Kalakaua Ave. The staff was great. Although small (almost cramped), the rooms had a cool retro look. For the price a good value. No pool or restaurant. Also, people in condos (or apts) were very nearby and could easily see into our room.

Room Tip: Our room was listed as ocean view but that was primarily from the balcony. For true oceanview fro...

585 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This review is long overdue, but as I am already planning this year's visit, and going back onto Trip Advisor to see the recent reviews made me finally submit this one. If you are looking for a full amenities hotel experience this is not the place for you, but if you are looking for excellent value in Waikiki this can't be beat. I have been to Hawaii many times over the years and have stayed at both high end and lower end hotels. Since discovering the Circle, I have stayed there my last 4 visits. Yes, the rooms are small, but really how much time are you spending in your room when paradise is outside? I definitely recommend spending the extra for an ocean view or ocean front room and ask for a higher floor. The location is ideal - the beach is literally across the street, great unobstructed ocean views from many rooms - better than many higher end hotels. The balcony is a good size and although the rooms are small, they are fine for 2 people and the space is well planned out. Yes, the bathrooms are tiny but again, no wasted space. The renos done a year or so ago have brightened up the rooms. Staff is always very friendly and helpful. Close to all the restaurants and shops, easy walking distance everywhere in Waikiki. Love it!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sherwood Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was our second stay in this hotel. We chose to stay here again because we found it to be reasonably priced and ideally located. We arrived at the hotel and were quickly checked in. We had a room with two double beds and a full ocean view on the 18th floor. The room was beautifully decorated and completely redone. The bathroom was also redone but the shower is still really tight! The rooms are incredibly small. We have stayed in the room with three adults and found it to be okay. I'm not sure that four people would find the space adequate. You need to remember that you are not going to spend a lot of time in your room. The hotel now charges a "resort fee" of $15 daily. The fee includes Wifi (which we used), a daily paper (which we read), and in room coffee (which we drank). There was also a safe for storing your passports. The fee also includes a Play Station and free movies which we didn't use. We could not get over the transformation in the hotel. If you don't mind tight quarters, the location which is directly across the street from Kuhio Beach Park cannot be beat! We loved our stay and we will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights before acruise,I was a little nervous about the hotel because there was so many variying reviews ,we stayed in room 1104 oceanfront and We loved it.the view takes in the lenghth of Wakiki Beach.I could watch the surfers waiting for a wave( very opptomistic hardly any waves in Wakiki) from my bed.The rooms are not large but they are well laid out and very clean and comfortable,the staff are friendly and helpful.It is next door to an ABC shop so you get most things you need.We enjoyed hawai and hope to holiday there again next year we will stay in this hotel again.Just one thing to remember the flight from Autralia arrive 6.30 am and checkin time is 3 pm so try for an early check in wnen you book.

Room Tip: High floor ocean front ,a bit windy on the balcony but worth the extra.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Once more I got to organise the travel arrangements for our annual trip, Hawaii was calling us again. We have previously stayed at a high end on the beach hotel in an ocean front room – nice, & a really really nice hotel on the beach in an ocean view suite when we took the 17yo, this time it was just us so we looked for something a little cheaper as we still wanted an ocean front room, well did we hit the jackpot. Firstly because we are just over 50, you get a discount, yes!! Secondly where can you take 89 steps from your room to the sand in 4 minutes, well we could. No waiting for the lift, no huge lobby, no bar, (doesn’t matter, my other half played bartender & got those Californian Chardonnays to me from next door at the ABC Store quicker than the bartender at the Sheraton) (& 2 mini bottles for $3.50, are you kidding me?) for a drink on our 9th floor OCEAN FRONT room in the afternoon after our swim at the beach, did I mention 89 steps from the room in just 4 minutes. Didn’t need a pool either, beach across the road, amazing! Checked in with no problems, was asked if we would prefer a queen bed or 2 doubles, so jumped at the queen knowing the rooms were on the smaller side. I was a little apprehensive as our door was directly opposite the lift door, but I did not hear a thing the whole 5 days I was there. We needed a couple of extra pillows, not a problem, I had just hung up the phone & there was housekeeping at the door with them. Did I mention the view from the balcony, spectacular, did I mention the price for this view, unbeatable. Yes the room isn’t large, but there is everything you need, TV, dvd hire, wifi, bathroom amenities, room safe, coffee, refrigerator, air conditioning, which brings me to my only gripe, can you please install split systems & get rid of those noisy box aircon units, luckily it wasn’t scorching hot, so we ended up running the aircon on fan only, slept with the door open, which I closed with my foot (you are that close to it lying in bed) as the sun came us because I didn’t want any feathered friends waltzing into our room. The night before check out I asked where we could get a cab, no problem says the desk clerk, just come down when you’re ready & I’ll call one for you. There was a crowd at checkout, us & another couple, this is a crowd at this hotel, just loved it & it’s so quirky with its pie shaped rooms. We cannot fault the service with this hotel, it’s not the Ritz, but their website shows you what you get & there isn’t any false advertising, I actually feel we did very well for our money. This oceanfront room was about 1/3 of what we would pay elsewhere & we didn’t need any of the “extras”, this is Waikiki, everything is at your doorstep anyway. Thanks for a really good stay which was part of our 30th wedding anniversary trip. Mahalo.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Rooms are the way to go
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our family stayed here in 3 room for 3 nights on the way over to Kona for the Ironman then for another 2 nights on the way back... Small hotel with friendly staff and clean rooms... The price is great for the location... Close to all the restaurants & shops... Great to grab a towel from reception walk across the road for a swim on Waikiki Beach... If your looking for a great location at a good price then this is the place...

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to an ocean view room so can have a drink on the balcony while enjoying the sights...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Hubby booked this hotel without the benefit of my fabulous research...what can I say? We came here after a fab stay at the luxurious Westin Ka'anapali Villas in Maui, so right away it was a letdown to end up at a funky high rise motel on Waikiki. Truly that is what it is.

The Good:
Location-it's right across the street from Waikiki Beach, near the Duke statue, and SO CLOSE to all the fabulous shopping along the boulevard. Can't beat that.
Staff-All so nice, and helpful. There is no lobby, just a counter with staff behind glass, but they were always so helpful. We had a problem with our door lock, and the housekeeper rang up the maintenance man, and it was all fixed right away. Nice!

The "Meh":
Rooms-While they were charmingly decorated in a retro look, and the bed was comfy enough, the rooms are truly small. The bathroom also was tiny. But it was all clean, so can't complain too much.
Balcony-OMG, it was pretty scary to go out on that balcony. We were in #1307 (yes, 13th floor!!), so we had a decent ocean view. But going out onto the balcony made my legs weak. And the sliding door really didn't close correctly, so I was quite sure I would wake up at night and wander off the balcony and over the side. There was no screen slider, so we couldn't open the door and let breeze in. Whatev, I got over it by day two.
Parking-We are ADA, so we were able to take advantage of the handicap spot near the "lobby", but it looked like a small parking garage was what others had to deal with. If full, there were other Astons nearby, so maybe it all works out. Not sure about that.

So there you go. This is NOT a resort, and I guess the pricing is great. I truly think I could have gotten better room with some research and taking advantage of AAA or Starwood membership. If you want to see the real luxury, check out the Moana Surfrider nearby. Woo hoo, now that is where I am staying next time!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel? Share your experiences!