“Second time around” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
adelaide, south australia
“Second time around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed in room 902 this year - we had 1103 last year. Almost the same room, all of the familiar things we had become accustomed to the first time around.

Like - panoramic beach views, friendly staff, free Continental breakfast - so very convenient - free towels and mats for the beach. ABC Store next door, Maccas 3 doors away.

The floor of the rooms are now tiled so no more complaints about musty smells and dirty carpets. The antique Chinese furniture grows on you as it is really quite beautiful.

Best of all, the antique lift has not changed. Polished brassas mirrors and the walls clad in carpet. straight up, straight down - no waiting like in large hotels.

BUT you must order Deluxe Oceanfront - nothing less captures the moment.

Remember it is a boutique hotel very small but right on the beach!!!!

Aloha Hawai'i.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
West Memphis, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

We stayed here in June of 2008 and LOVED it. I didn't think I would enjoy it even more the second time around! The staff here are great! (Hey Lendy!!! Had any good chocolate lately?) The location and view were AWESOME! You can't ask for a better location any where near the cost of this hotel!!! We did have to have our room switched, due to a leak. The staff was very fast about getting us another room and very considerate about giving us enough time to get our things moved (Thanks Levarie and Lendy!) The guys that staff the front desk during the daytime were very helpful with bus numbers, other information, and calling for a cab to take us to the airport. My only "complaint" was that they use flat sheets instead of fitted and it would come loose every night. I hate for my feet or body to touch the mattress! Other than that I had no complaints. We will definitely be staying here the next time we visit Waikiki!

usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

this hotel was clean we also had windows we would stay their again people are wrong about the hotel

Trinidad & Tobago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

I spent five nights at this hotel. This is my third visit to Honolulu and even though I read alot of the negative reviews, I still took a chance and booked because of the location. The only plus of this hotel is the fantastic location on the Waikiki strip.

I booked a moderate king room. When I opened the door, the following was observed:

1. The sheets were dirty and as if they weren't changed
2. Bathroom cupboard was old and signs of water damage
3. There was a hole in the bathroom wall as if someone punched it in
4. The air condition unit was rusted
5. The lightning in the room was poor.
6. No towels provided

I called downstairs and reported the matter. The front desk call was dropped and I eventually went down. I had to switch to a moderate twin bed room based on current availability. This room was an improvement to the previous but still screamed for an upgrade. The linens were never changed for the entire stay. There was no towels after the maid cleaned the room after the first night. I had to report the matter three times before the front desk sent someone.

The hotel also advertise complimentary dialup internet access. The reality is that the internet access is wireless and can only receive reception in the lobby area. Even if you are willing to pay for it, you can have access from your room and I was in the 11th floor. The hotel has 12 floors. There's only one elevator for both guest and service staff. As many of you all travel on a budget, I recommend you pay extra and stay at another hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
aquacontinental, Lendy Ma, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2009
Aloha Shannon_P,

Thank you for posting your comments. I am sorry to hear that your recent visit to our property was not up to your expectations. I want to thank you for the list of your observations.

You are right, our hotel needs renovation. Apparently, we installed new tile in every guestroom. Our next project would address one of the areas that you mentioned, the bathroom cupboards. We had already ordered, and expected delivery shortly, of brand new bathroom vanities. The new vanities would be a major upgrade to our bathrooms.

Other areas you mentioned included no towels in the room. Because we were such a small hotel we did not have a large staff working 24 hours a day as some of our larger, more expensive neighbors do. Sometimes, the laundry service delivered the day’s laundry after the housekeepers had left for the day. Although this was not a frequent occurrence, it had happened. Such instances were beyond our control, but we realized that it was an inconvenience to the guest. We apologized for that inconvenience.

During the later part of the evening and overnight, our staff was very limited. Generally the demand for service is also less. Sometimes, it takes a few minutes or more for someone to be free to respond to a guest request. We were sorry that you had to wait some time before someone was able to respond to your call.

Dial up internet access is available in every guestroom by unplugging the cord from the phone and plugging it into the computer. Cost is 99 cents per call, assuming a local ISP number is available for your provider here in Hawaii. Most guests prefer our free WiFi internet access provided in the lobby and on the mezzanine levels.

It is true there is only one elevator in our property. It is not currently economically possible to add another elevator. However, we would reflect your suggestions to our management.

Regarding the bathroom, air condition and lightning issues, I had already informed the Maintenance department manager to take care of it.

Thank you for compliment our fantastic location on the Waikiki, it is always helpful to have this kind of feedback so that we can address our guests concerns as we strive to improve the quality of your stay at our hotel.

Mahalo

Lendy Ma
Aqua Waikiki Beachside
Irvine, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

Ok, so it isn't the nicest hotel in town. But, you cannot beat the location for the price. The staff were awesome! Lave & Greg especially! Even though we had to move 3x in 3 nights, it was still a great value.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

I have stayed in 5 properties in Honolulu from $50 to $300 a night. For the money this was a great hotel. The staff was helpful. The hotel manager was very visible and kind. The view from my room was the best I have had in Waikiki. There were some small problems with the room which I mentioned as I went out to dinner and they were fixed when I returned. Housekeeping did a great job. (Rosalinda). They are in the process of refurbishing the rooms. The hotel was quiet and across the street from the Duke's statue on Waikiki. It was just a perfect experience for $90 a night. Fron now on it will be my hotel of choice in Waikiki.

• Liked — The view of the ocean and location.
  • Disliked — Small elevator
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

Don't even think about it!!!!! This was the worst experience EVER!
This so called "boutique" is so small, so dirty and so old, it's not even funny!!! The worst thing was that THEY DON'T HAVE CLOSETS IN THE ROOMS, and we were supposely staying in the DELUX room, the best room with an ocean view (I think that was the only good thing there), so we kept our clothing everywhere!!! Our shower door, that became a temporary closet, was so bad that every time we took shower the water was all over the floor and we had to clean it ourselfs, so we won't fall!!!AND they don't have a hospitality room, so we were flying back at 10 pm and spent time at the beach that day (one last time) BUT, we had to change, without shower, in the 1st floor hotel washroom!!! This hotel doesn't have simple accomodations for a comfortable staying, it was horrible! Also, staff doesn't give a damb, they all half asleep...If you don't want to spoil yr vacation, stay away from this place!

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — dirty carpet and no closet space
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel? Share your experiences!