“Not so bad” 3 of 5 stars

10% OFF - #AstonLife
Ranked #60 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
“Not so bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

If you a looking for a clean room and a great price right across from the beach, Look no further! Comfy bed, quick elevator and friendly staff. Loved that I could sit on the balcony and look right at the beach, not that many have front views up and down the street strip

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Definitely not the fanciest place in Waikiki but the location is great if you want to spend time on the beach without paying through the nose. The hotel is dated and is in desperate need of renovation but having said that the rooms are comfortable and clean and the staff are efficient, helpful and friendly. A quick walk across Kalakaua Avenue has you on the beach and there are plenty of restaurants in the general area with the ubiquitous ABC store right next door. Unfortunately, there is no facility in house for laundry but there is (apparently) a laundrette just around the corner, rather than spend time doing laundry I suggest packing enough clothing for the entire stay.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are a must and worth paying extra for. See Alfred at the concierge desk for good pr...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

$125 per night. Right across from the beach - board rentals - bars -shops. The room was clean as a whistle. The place could use a little tlc - scuffs and dings, but I so enjoyed our stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

I will definitely come back to this same hotel, even with all the choices.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
San Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

I recently returned from Hawai'i where I spent 6 nights at the Aston Beachside Hotel. I will agree with others about the hotel being dated and lacking amenities. You'll find no continental breakfast, hotel gym, or any other fancy stuff here. This hotel offers you a basic room (maybe you get more if you upgrade), friendly staff (Lave is awesome), and a fantastic location! I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay there again! To be honest, why do you need all the fancy hotel stuff in Hawaii? You should be spending your days sightseeing!

• Stayed June 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This place is a pit. We were placed in an "interior" room, which was a musty and dank closet with no window. When we requested to move we were placed in another damp, dirty and cramped room that smelled like mildew. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. My wife and I stayed out anywhere we could as late as we could during our stay so that we would spend as little time in this horrible place as possible. A serious disappointment and a sad end to our trip to Hawaii.

Room Tip: Skip this place all together.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kevin W, Front Office Manager at Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for choosing Aston Hotels & Resorts and the Waikiki Beachside Hotel!

Our property offers a wide variety of rooms ranging from the Standard Interior that you mentioned (our basic, most affordable room) up to our Ocean Front (our top room, facing the Ocean, on the 9th floor or higher). I apologize if the room you booked was not to your liking; however, for those travelers who choose to not spend much time in their rooms, this option is great as it is cost-friendly and comfortable among other things. My staff did accommodate you in giving you a free upgrade to the Moderate category, and although it overlooks another building/wall, it does at least have a private lanai and some fresh air.

I have spoken with both our Housekeeping Department, and our Maintenance Department to take a look at the issues you mentioned. Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. Once again, I am truly sorry if this ruined your vacation.

Mahalo,
Kevin
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

My wife had read the reviews on here and was having second thoughts about our booking, but we should not have been worried. Whilst the room was small, it was clean and the cleaning staff attended to it everyday, the air conditioner worked well and we had a new digital TV. The staff were all friendly and helpful, with Lava on reception even singing and playing the ukulele for us. there was free WiFi available in the second floor lounge area if you wanted. When we arrived our allocated room was not ready, but they offered us another one with an ocean view on the 3rd floor and it was excellent. it doesn't have a pool or a restaurant, the beach is at your front door and restaurants are all in walking distance. There is only one lift, but we just used the stairs. There is an ABC store next door and you can purchase all your essentials. We will definitely go back here.

Room Tip: Full ocean view rooms are the way to go.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Groveland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I found this deal and when I read the reviews I was having second thoughts because there were negative comments but I was very surprised and glad I took a chance with this hotel. The location was perfect for walking around and we didn't need to rent a car. The staff was very helpful with recommendations on where to eat or how to get to places. The hotel was up to the "fluff" that I usually book but due to the hectic schedule of wanting to see so much I didn't feel that spending too much for a hotel room wasn't worth it.

Don't be turned off by the negative reviews if you want to save money then this is the place to go! Room was clean, bed was comfy, AC was great - What more can you ask when you are saving so much money?

Room Tip: No on-site restaurant but all are within walking distance. Yes, the Banyan tree covers most of the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel? Share your experiences!