“Dont stay” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Queensland
“Dont stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

This hotel is awful. Under no circumstances let them put you in a room ending in 04 or 05. We were in 805 and the floor was damp when we went in, by 01.00am in the morning it was WET – caused by lack of ventilation, humidity and the airconditioner – I got up in the night and slipped on the wet tiles (which were like an Ice Rink) causing extensive bruising to my knee, leg and foot, it was sheer luck I did not break my leg. The room was barely big enough for the bed, the lighting was appalling. The door and window were louvres and led straight onto a walkway – consequently the curtains could not be left open, nor the window as there was no security screens. After using the shower the humidity was even worse because there was no exhaust fan.
After reporting my fall the next morning it took the staff ages to find the form to fill in, in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if he was hoping if he took long enough we would just leave.
There is no parking out the front, the front door is almost invisible it’s so small, as is the lift – barely big enough for both of us and our bags.
In the fridge there wasn’t even ayn cold water. One of the lamps had a burn mark on it, the bedside lamps were falling apart, the rest of the furniture looked as if it had been picked up off the roadside.
How did this hotel get a Certificate of Excellence 2011 from Trip Advisor??????
We were meant to be booked into the Aston BEACH Hotel, not, Aston BEACHSIDE Hotel. Do not let anyone make that mistake with you.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
AWB_Manager, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about your recent stay with us. We do realize that the similarity in the names of the hotels can sometimes be confusing however the room prices do reflect the differences in the amenities and on–site service provided. Our hotel is like you mentioned a very small and affordable hotel in a prime location on Waikiki Beach. We offer very limited amenities and services, this in an effort keep our rates low and remain the best value just steps away from the pacific ocean and one of the most famous beaches in the world. We have found that many travelers that have tight budget restraints find our hotel a welcome alternative to one of the many larger very expensive hotels in the area.

I’m truly sorry that there was a condensation issue in the room you were assigned, rest assured that the air conditioning was thoroughly checked right after your departure and you reporting to us that you had slipped. Our guest’s wellbeing is of upmost importance to us and I’m sorry that there was a delay in finding the appropriate paperwork. I can assure you that the delay was not intentional but simply due to unfortunate circumstances.

I hope that despite the issues you encountered at our Hotel you were able to enjoy your stay in Waikiki and bring back many fond memories of your trip to our beautiful Island.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

472 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
Port Dover, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

This is intended to be just a quick review of this hotel because frankly, that's all it deserves.

My wife and I stayed here one night (thankfully only one). I entitled this piece "A Hotel full of Contrasts" because some of it was very good while some of it was very bad.

First the good news - the "beachside" is in a tremendous location and our ocean front room had an incredible view of Waikiki Beach and the beautiful Pacific Ocean. We could sit on our (very small) balcony and enjoy the view. Also, the people who were operating the place were very friendly and helpful. The final positive for this hotel is that it COULD be excellent - given the Art Deco charm of the building and the lobby but the maintenance of the building and rooms makes it a dump.

Ok, now the bad news - it's old, tired and run down. Old is ok if it's maintained but this place isn't. It clearly shows its age and no one is doing anything to help it. Our room was about the size of a postage stamp with no where to put clothes. The walls and trim work were scraped and scratched and these weren't new scrapes and scratches. Nobody cares or won't make any investment in the place. Had we been planning more than one night we would have looked for something else.

I think I've been realistic about this hotel. I hope it helps the hotel shape up or at least warns other Trip Advisor readers of what to expect!

Room Tip: A good room in this hotel is on a higher floor to minimize the traffic noises from Kalakaua Avenue...
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.
Our property offers one of the most amazing Ocean Views in Waikiki and I am happy you were able to take advantage of it. Also, my entire staff is determined to cater to all guests needs and it’s very rewarding when they are complimented for going above and beyond.

I sincerely apologize if you found that some areas of the property were not up to your standards, rest assured that both the Owners and the entire staff of the Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel continue to work tirelessly to enhance many areas of our property.

Once again, a big Mahalo for sharing your comments as it not only strengthens our daily operations but allows us to have a better understanding of our customers needs.

Coldstream, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Get a balcony to watch the passing parade on the main street below. The rooms are clean though basic, but you don't go to spend the day in your room. It's about the sun, surf and joy of the warm sun on your skin. Though the air conditioner was noisy, it didn't matter to us, we always turn off these things, we are after the warmth. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom had everything you need. The ABC store next door is great for a light breakfast, or other supplies. Lulu's restaurant is just down the road for a great breakfast, lunch or dinne that won't break the bank. Subway is up the road for a tasty and quick lunch, the beach across the road from your hotel for your morning swim and ride in an outrigger. Waikiki is all hustle and bustle, invigorating and exhausting at the same time. This hotel offers reasonable rates, a great location and fantastic staff especially on front desk. Couldnt believe our luck in finding this hotel. Location, location, location.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for two days prior to our cruise. although the room was rather small, it met our needs, and we had a beautiful view of Waikiki Beach (from the 9th floor - Deluxe room) very helpful desk staff.

Room Tip: pay the extra for a Deluxe ocean view.. it's worth it !!
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Due to a booking nightmare we were (hopefully mistaken) booked into this "4 - star" hotel. Larissa at the front desk was delightful, but the 6th floor room wasn't. Filthy floor carpet on the walls of the elevator was an early warning sign. The room was tiny, with nasty odour, a view of a tree, a tiny balcony with a broken table, and a dreadful bed and bath. Lampshades were burned from too - high wattage lighbulbs. Can you say fire hazard? Easily the most depressing hotel room in the last 25 years of my travel. We escaped via an extra $500 payment over to the Aston Waikiki Beach (NOT "BEACHSIDE") Hotel which was a huge step up in quality. How such a hotel can exist in such a state in this hotel chain is a mystery.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.
Aston Hotels & Resorts assumed management of the Waikiki Beachside Hotel on Jan 1, 2011 and in the short time we have been here, we’ve been working diligently on making various improvements to the hotel. Future plans include the elevator mentioned as well as many other areas of the Hotel.

Although it is clear that we did not meet your expectations, I’m very pleased to hear that our Guest Service Agent Larissa delivered “Legendary Customer Service” and that our sister property, Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, was able to accommodate you for the duration of your vacation.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I'm a bit surprised at all of the very negative reviews. My wife and I stayed here for one night in August. We arrived on Oahu on an early flight from Kauai and could not check into our room that early, so we left our bags there and went exploring the area for a couple of hours. When we came back, they had upgraded our room to a partial ocean view. As others have noted, the single elevator is very small. The hallway to our room was open to the air. Our room was small but adequate. It had a lot of Asian-style furniture, too much for the floor space; a round table with a huge vase and two chairs really cut into the space. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The bathroom was clean and the fixtures were in good shape. We were on the side of the building and could see the ocean in the direction of Diamond Head. The staff were friendly and helpful, and we liked having complimentary beach towels. The public area behind the lobby was under construction, with plastic sheeting hanging all over, but a small sitting area was usable; I took my laptop there to use the wi-fi. The location of this hotel can't be beat. It is right across from the Duke Kahanamoku statue and a nice, protected swimming area. A huge variety of shops and restaurants is within easy walking distance. For the location and incredibly low price (for this area), I was glad to put up with a few minor quibbles (and they WERE minor). As another reviewer said, why do you want to spend a lot of time in your room when in Waikiki?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011 via mobile

While in a good location, between the service (lack of) and unclenliness this hotel deserves no more than 2 stars. The staff is downright rude when the finally get away from the phone or chattin with a pal.

Our room was small, which is fine. The wall paper was pealing off and a makeshift plywood panel covering a whole in the wall was falling off. Upgrading for the " beach" view was a waste of money.

I have stayed in worse hotels, but they cost waaaay less. In summary this place was very overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed October 2011
AWB_Manager, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Although it’s clear that we did not meet your expectations, I’m happy to hear that you appreciated the location of our hotel, as we are in the very heart of Waikiki.
I do apologize that you felt that the staff did not deliver the standard of service we strive for. Please know that I will share your comments with all the staff members to ensure that no other guest will encounter a similar situation.
Aston Hotels & Resorts assumed management of the Waikiki Beachside Hotel on Jan 1, 2011, since then we’ve been working tirelessly on making improvements to many areas of the hotel. The future of our property looks very bright and once again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with us, as these will help us improving on our services.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of further assistance.

Charlotte B. Caster

Been to Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel? Share your experiences!