We got a "kama'aina" rate as we live in Hawaii, and were attending a party near Waikiki. As we live 40 miles away, decided to stay over rather than drive home. While I can accept an "amenity Fee", I was not informed that with a kama'aina rate, if you stay MORE than one night, this fee of $23.00 AND the parking fee of $27.00 is waived. So while we got a good rate on the room of $161.00, the additional fees plus the GE taxes and the TA tax, we paid $235.00. That's a little high for checking in at 6 p.m., checking out at noon. In addition, this is the first bad experience at an Aston hotel. We have stayed often at the Aston Waikiki Beach and the Aston Waikiki Sunset over the past 20 years.
Our room was advertised as "partial ocean view." That's ocean if you can see it over the palm trees. (Request tenth floor and above for good 'partial' view.) Also, was over pool so was noisy, and we also got noise from restaurant with live music till late at night. That can be acceptable if one is getting a deal. What was not acceptable was: 1) hair on bathroom counter, 2) hair in bathroom sink, 3) hair on bathroom floor, 4) dirt specks on bedspread, 5) TV that kept turning off, 6) hairdryer that did not work, 7) little bar stool table with glass top that kept sliding all over the place, 8) no other type of guest chair but bar stools, 9) only one chair on lanai, 10) Keurig coffee maker with NO decaf available, 11) skimpy bedclothes and lousy pillows.
We have stayed often at the Waikiki Beach Hotel and always had excellent rooms and service.
This time the reception clerk, Chris, was outstanding. The man running the valet parking, Wayne, was rude, short, interrupted me, was impatient and just so lacking in Aloha Spirit. The driveway was packed full of cars so I had jumped out to go register us and then back to front to see what to do about our car, which was still in street. I can still hear Wayne's impatient Heavy Sigh as I asked for help. I understood that it was very busy, the the valets were shouting out "aloha" as they busted their buns parking cars. He was even very rude and condescending to a non-English speaking couple.
At checkout I stated my complaints about the room (cleanliness, things not working properly, lack of decaf coffee) and how kama'aina should not have to pay the full amenity fee, or at least have parking fee waived. That's when I found out that staying 2 or more nights will get both those fees waived. (Now I know.) But as far as the other complaints, all I could get was $5.00 off the amenity fee. And the gentleman at checkout was not very gracious about it, nor did he seem too concerned about my cleanliness complaint.
So, as customers of Aston for over 20 years, I have to complain. The room should have been cleaner (it had been too long of a day for us to complain at the time...we just wanted to shower, and go to bed) and all amenities should have worked, and the bedding of a higher quality. This was not Aston's standard that we are used to.
I am glad our hotels are full and our tourist economy doing well. But don't forget the locals. They support hotels here in Hawaii also.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking one of the world's most renowned beaches, the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel provides an oceanfront experience at surprisingly accommodating rates. The Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel is the ideal vacation headquarters for couples, families (children stay free) and groups seeking the ultimate Hawaiian experience. The vast majority of our 644 guest rooms offer a private lanai and stunning full or partial ocean views. Diamond Head rises majestically on one side of the hotel, while legendary Waikiki Beach stretches out from the other. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Aston Hotels & Resorts, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waikiki Beach Hotel
- Aston Honolulu
- Resort Quest Waikiki Beach Hotel
- Resortquest Waikiki Beach Hotel Hawaii
- Aston Hotel Waikiki
- Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel Hawaii/Honolulu