“Very nice!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 83 hotels in Honolulu
Asheville, North Carolina
“Very nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Getting to the next floor up to check in was a bit confusing, but we did it in a few minutes. We were on the 18th floor and facing the ocean. Surfers were in the water when we woke early and still there after it was too dark to see them! "Breakfast-on-the-beach" is different. A little cooler is provided for you to gather what you want at breakfast - one pass through the line is what is expected. Most don't go to the beach, but there are not enough tables by the pool for all to eat. We learned it was best to go back to the room and eat at the nice table or on the balcony overlooking the surfers! Save your coffee cup. One can get coffee @ 6am, but then they remove the cups sometime after 6:30 am & you can get a refill only if you have kept your cup. Had plenty of decafe which was great for me! Eggs and waffles cost extra. Breads of all kinds and fruits were fabulous. Definitely try the purple bread & donuts made with taro root!! Lots of wonderful juices. The elevators are unique. To go down enter any floor number or star to get to the check-in floor. To go up, swipe your door key and enter the floor - look at that display for info on which elevator will take you there. I believe there were 5 elevators so waits were never long. There is an open area on each floor that faces Diamond Head - so walk to that area near the ice machine and get your pictures.
Both restaurants were good for their purpose. Wolfgang Puck is fast - take out or eat right there.
A zoo is between the hotel and Diamond Head. If we'd had a free morning I would have liked to hike Diamond Head. That is definitely an early in the day activity!! The ABC stores on every block & in the hotel are an all inclusive convenience store - certainly nothing like in my home state! We got to watch the 97th Kamehameha Parade from our balcony. Hawaii has lots of festivals. Be patient!

Room Tip: Ask for beach front if you want it. It was quiet up high. Some want Diamond Head View which is not...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Aloha Sandy,

The purple taro doughnuts are unique and delicious, we’re glad you liked them. Since we’ve received such great feedback from our guests, we’re tempted to try another similar item. Also, we’re pleased to learn you appreciated the elevator system. As you mentioned, there is a very short wait time. At large hotels and buildings, waiting for an elevator can be lengthy. Our elevators know which floor everyone needs to go then sends the most efficient elevator on route. It also assists us with security since a key is required to request one. Thank you for staying with us, and for the thoughtful review. We hope you had a lovely Hawaiian holiday!

2,373 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Korean first
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Great location...across the street from Waikiki beach but at the end of the strip away from the riff raff. Rooms were clean . Our room had an AC that was a bit noisy. After reporting it to the front desk they quickly changed our room. Had someone move all of our luggage and gave us an ocean front room with an amazing view.
The staff here really is the best. Janine who worked in guest services was the best. 4 hours before my wedding I discovered that FTD was not able to provide me with the wedding bouquet that I ordered. Janine took care of it and had a beautiful bouquet delivered to me just in time. She really went out of her way for me and I was so grateful. The entire staff is very kind and you could feel the Aloha spirit.
The morning breakfast buffet and entertainment was excellent as well.
The price was great and I would stay there again without a doubt.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha, we’re pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is good to learn that our staff was able to help you have a lovely Hawaiian vacation, even when it got a bit stressful before the wedding ceremony. I’m sure the flower bouquet was absolutely beautiful! Extending our Aloha spirit to our guests is what we enjoy doing every day. Thank you for the thoughtful review, and we hope to see you again in the future.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This place was like a cheap youth hostel. I was so disappointed, you never know what you're going to get when going to a new place and booking it on the Internet. This was pretty bad. The room was ugly and very dated. It is in the middle of the action but still felt poor and like I was a sheep in a herd. The breakfast was awful. Again, people with little complimentary coolers lined up like cattle at a feeding trough to fill their faces and coolers with cheap yogurt and breads. There were too many people lined up at the trough and nowhere to sit once holding your plastic plate and cup. Cheesy Hawaiian performers sang to a disinterested crowd sitting around a microscopic pool surrounded by concrete rooms and half dressed teenagers. All the fat ugly tourists gorging on banana bread made me physically sick. If you have $20 more to spend, go stay at a nice place, not here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Aloha, I can assure you that our hotel is far nicer than a budget hostel. The primary difference between a Hotel and a hostel is sleeping arrangement. In hotels guests do not have to share their room with other travelers. Also, the reason that many of our guests walk around in a swimsuit is because this is Hawaii. We are located directly across the street from Waikiki beach, it’s sunny and hot. We’re sorry you didn’t appreciate our hotel or amenities. We sincerely hope you had a lovely time in Hawaii, and thank you for choosing to stay with us.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel 2 years ago (Aug 2011) and really enjoyed our stay, so when we planned our return trip, the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel was the only place we wanted to stay. The staff is always friendly and helpful, so this was not an issue. Our flight arrived early, but we we were able to leave our bags and go explore; we were able to check-in about an hour early. The first problem was our room- a king bed room had been reserved but we were given a room w/two full beds and it was also a handicap accessible room which we didn't need. There was no bathroom counter to speak of. The staff was friendly, but we were advised that we couldn't get another room until the next day. So we had to be out by 12:00 pm, check-in our luggage downstairs, re-check in at 3pm, lug our bags back up and try to get settled in again. The room had a nice view of Diamond Head and the beach, but the bathroom was kind of gross- not as clean as it could have been and the tiles were broken. Overall, a very shabby bathroom. The room was comfortable for the rest of the week, but during this time a very large group of teenagers on a school trip checked in and proceeded to disrupt the whole floor (9th). They were drinking and partying in the hallway and slamming doors every couple of minutes or so. This went on for approx 5-6 hrs, late into the night. I called the front desk 3 times and was assured it would be taken care of, but it wasn't. I even had the privilege of listening to a very angry Australian woman (another guest) finally lose her temper with these very inconsiderate young people. I really feel like the hotel dropped the ball; security came up several times but never got things under control. The hotel did offer us another room on another floor (the next day), but I did not want to go through the whole check-in/check-out, get settled in thing again. Why should I have to? The morning breakfast was nice, not the best food, but nice atmosphere with the ukelele, singing, and hula dancing. And the bar is nice to relax and have a drink. Overall, it was not a horrible experience, but it wasn't as positive as our first experience. I'm not sure I'd stay again... I'd have to really think about it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Aloha Lisa,
I am familiar with the situation you described, and sorry that it affected you. We now have a better idea of how to prevent this from happening again. It is difficult confronting these situations, but necessary if our guests’ are bothered. If you will consider staying with us a third time, please feel free to contact me. We’d like another chance, and I’d be happy to do what I can.
Thanks again Lisa.

-Rebecca
Fayetteville, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

After reading some of the reviews here, I was worried about making a reservation for my husband and I for an overnight in Honolulu before an early flight to the Big Island. This was my first trip to Hawaii so I sprung for an ocean view. The room (king size bed) was spacious for two people and nicely decorated. The hotel staff members were quite helpful starting with someone who gave directions when we got off the shuttle. After a short wait at check-in, someone else assisted us with directions on how to use the keycard operated elevator. The view was absolutely amazing. The location was convenient to lots of hotels and shops. Some reviewers commented on poor air conditioning--we could have refrigerated our room. We left the next morning at 3:30am and the desk staff was helpful and cheerful (with coffee) when we checked out. If I have an opportunity to visit Honolulu again, I will definitely consider this hotel when we return if we want to be on Waikiki. It is not the newest hotel on the block and some of the fixtures are dated, but the floor where our room was happened to be clean and inviting. Our bathroom was spotless (albeit with older tile and fixtures).

Reviewers have commented on the $18 resort amenity fee. The hotel website was clear and upfront about this charge. I do quite a bit of traveling and while I don't like these extra charges, it is not unusual to pay extra fees in resort areas, even in places much less exotic than Waikiki.

I recommend the Aston Waikiki Beach very highly.

Room Tip: Spring for a high floor ocean view--so worth it!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Aloha, and thank you for recommending our hotel. We hope you had a fabulous time in Hawaii. We’re glad that you enjoyed our hotel, service, and accommodations. We do our best to keep each of our guests happy and comfortable.We appreciate your choosing to stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the future if your travel plans include Waikiki. Feel free to contact me next time you would like to make a reservation, as I'd be happy to help find another room that meets your needs.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The hotel was well located, just a road width from the beach. However it is showing its age. It was ok, probably best suited to kids and family holidays.

Included breakfast was a little too much on the muffin and pastry side.

The $US18 / day resort tax is a killer. But this applies to all hotels in Hawaii

Room Tip: Partial ocean are good as you can see the surf conditions without paying a lot for the ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Never considered us the new Surfer’s Paradise, but I can see it now! Waikiki and Oahu’s south facing shores get fantastic waves during summer months which surfers from all over the world appreciate. Most of our rooms provide enough ocean view to scope out the surfing conditions, and we’ll store your boards for you, too. Thank you for the review.

Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

After reading many reviews of this property we were concerned about our choice to stay at the Aston Waikiki Beach. We were pleasantly surprised when we checked in. The staff was friendly and accommodating. We arrived several hours before check in, our room was not ready, but they did finish it and get us in at 1:30 PM. Our room was clean, quiet, and had an awesome view (ocean front). The bathroom was dated and the room is small, but we found it met our needs for the 4 nights we stayed. Breakfast was a wonderful treat and was constantly being restocked. The hotel is busy, but we never had any trouble moving about. The new elevator system worked to perfection!

Room Tip: Watch for specials. We upgraded from ocean view to ocean front on a special deal and saved money!
Aloha Patrick,

It’s great that you saved money and upgraded to a room in an ‘Ocean Front’ category. These are our most popular rooms with some of the best views. We always do our best with early check-ins, and glad we were able to accommodate you since you arrived at the hotel before 3:00. We’re also glad you enjoyed our breakfast each morning. Were you able to find a use for the souvenir cooler bag when you got back home? (I use mine as a lunch bag for work). Thanks again!

Guest Services Coordinator

Been to Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!