Was a bit nervous booking Aston as some reviews were less then complimentary and I even described the hotel to the family as probably "not that great", but we were in for a lovely surprise. This is a really nice hotel! It's clean, looks newly renovated and the staff were all wonderful, friendly and helpful.
I booked an ocean view room and it was nice. The beds were fairly squishy for two, but comfy, with good donnas and pillows. View was great and overall the room was everything we needed (would of loved a kettle, but I guess that's not the American way).
Now let's address the amenity fee. Yes, it's a pain and I don't understand why they don't just add it to the price. We all pay it, it's compulsory, why even mention it. However, we fully got our $18 a day. The breakfast was great. Again, not sure what other people are complaining about. Plenty of food and we ate there 6 mornings in a row at all different times. Yes, cereal and donuts get boring, but then so does spending $50 for breakfast! (what we spent on our first morning pre-checkin).
We also hired a DVD each day (2 tired kids), which is included, so we were happy with the $18! They also advertise it everywhere, when you check in and again in your room, so no excuse not to be aware of it.
Tiki's was also a nice place for a drink or meal. We enjoyed the $2 tacos and free beer on a Tuesday! Also had the best Kalua pig taco cups I have ever tasted!
Service was also great, except for one lady at the tour desk, but I think she might have been about to leave and so wanted to get rid of me as quick as she could. I have to make special note of Lakai at the reception desk. I needed to scan and email an urgent document home and she happily scanned it for me and emailed it to me from her account.
Location wise, I'm not sure you could ask for a better spot. Right on the water front and close to everything. I was actually surprised that most of the hotels are not on the beach but a couple of blocks away. The Aston made going to the beach really easy as it was only a couple of meters from the pool, so no carrying bags etc. Also the pink trolley that goes to Ala Moana the big shopping centre stops right outside the hotel.
I guess if there was one thing it was that the hotel was packed and seemed to have numbers of groups of students (we saw a water polo team, cheerleading team and music group). But they were all great and so yes it was packed but I guess that's just life!
Other reviewers have made comment on the homeless outside the hotel. Just wanted to point out the homeless are all along the main road and in fact we saw them all around Waikiki, so this is not particularly a problem for the Aston. These people are just down on their luck, are polite and certainly not threatening in anyway. A polite "No thanks/sorry" seemed to do the trick.
All in all, had a great stay and would definitely stay here again if we return to Waikiki!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking one of the world's most renowned beaches, the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel provides an oceanfront experience at surprisingly accommodating rates. The Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel is the ideal vacation headquarters for couples, families (children stay free) and groups seeking the ultimate Hawaiian experience. The vast majority of our 644 guest rooms offer a private lanai and stunning full or partial ocean views. Diamond Head rises majestically on one side of the hotel, while legendary Waikiki Beach stretches out from the other. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Aston Hotels & Resorts, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Agoda, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waikiki Beach Hotel
- Aston Honolulu
- Resort Quest Waikiki Beach Hotel
- Resortquest Waikiki Beach Hotel Hawaii
- Aston Hotel Waikiki
- Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel Hawaii/Honolulu