“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Salinas, California
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We go to this hotel every other year , great hotel ,great location, great service.
Room was always clean, breakfast was great, we took it to our room, got extra for snacks on the beach.
Only thing was we like the side of the hotel were the pool is on, and were told that side only had double beds, so went to Diamond head side, not a good view and had no balcony. Next time I'll take the double beds, we like the music from Tiki's downstairs.
Starbucks, ABC store, ice cream, subway , and Tiki' right down stairs.
Get a car for at least 1day got to go to north shore , shave ice at Matsmotos a must !!!!
Dole worth a stop, teds bakery best cookies ever.
Beach right across the street, get there early, and hotel has beach towels and chairs you can take.
All in all great hotel and we will be going back next year, miss Hawaii , only place we can relax

Room Tip: Get a room on pool side for view, or Diamond Head for quiet Higher floors better views
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Aloha, we are glad to see you enjoyed our hotel again, thank you for returning! Our Waikiki Side of the hotel has both King and Doubles, but at the time of your request it is likely that the Kings were occupied. The Diamond Head side of the hotel has stand up balconies, and the Waikiki side has larger balconies in exchange for room space. We do offer complimentary beach towel and chair rentals for the beach, we ask they are returned by 7:00pm.

Hope to see you next time

Guest Services Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Korean first
Downey, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

** Every room is different and taken care differently, so I can only speak of the two rooms I experienced on this trip! Also compare how thing have decline through the years and that they are better option at Waikiki for accommodations.

Our trip was for a surprise birthday trip for my husband for 3 days and with the intention of extending our stay one more day on our "favorite" hotel. We checked in around 1030pm-11pm and the front desk was quiet with two staff member. The young gentlemen help us check in and was quick at talking too! Maybe he was on a hurry to send us off! Room booked and paid for was Ocean View and put in a request if it could be accommodated ( highest room & one bed). Finally our room was #2311 and since we have stayed here before we knew it was one of the highest floor. Once we got there come to find out that this room are the rooms that are right behind the elevators... You know, up and down noises? Swishhhh up swishhhh down! Oh yeah and the beeping doing of the elevators. If your a light sleeper or after a 5-14 hr trip this is not what you need. The room had NO beach coolers and the view was amazing of Waikiki! Called the front dest to see if they could relocate the room or even downgrade to room to Partial Ocean View Room but after being on hold with the guy and him explaining that they are booked full no spare room and that he couldn't switch my room! Then he put me on hold to speak to the manager to see what he could do. After 3 minutes on the phone they told me to go downstairs and that they will relocate us to the Aloha Suite... I guess there was rooms available after all!!! Formally known as the Junior Suites now they switched it to Aloha Suites, mind that i have stayed a few times paying for that room and are quiet nice! We were impressed of the new room but it seem likes a quick reaction so something wasn't right! Went to pick up our new keys (heaven forbid you loose them cause it will cost you $2 per key! Before they would tell you take them as souvenirs not that I want them!). So our new room is now #928. So if you get the numeration the first digits are the floor number and the last 2 are the location of the room. Even numbers have Diamond Head and Odd have the Waikiki view. Also I just went from good view to a huge downgrade! But keep in mind is a suite so when we went in it was a total disappointment and after having to speak to the Front Desk earlier and this is what I ended up with it seem like I wanted to switch my countdown on this getaway trip to fast speed to get out of here!!! Tip: if your room number ends on #11 your very close to elevators!

I took pictures of the condition on the room #928 and will post. The bathroom was in terrible condition, tiles of different color, toilet with mildew and licking water when you flush, bathtub yellow stain on wall, walls patch up, wall edges pain coming off, tissue holder broken, desk plug not working and balcony sliding door didn't close. Yes the flat screen tv is nice but the options of tv channels aren't many and quality isn't that great, no HD tv here. We were tired so off to shower and bed but... Turn on the water and it seem like no one has used that bathroom cause the water that first came out was dirty brown... Let it run for a little and off to bed. I didn't bother to look for bed bugs cause heaven forbid I would find any!

Next day, bright and early ready for their free breakfast! FRIENDLY STAFF!!! Mind that I have stayed here for the past 6 years and I thought that even with the cross over from ResortQuest to Aston might not make any difference in the quality, it sure has now! Yes the lines are long and it can be a little bothersome for some of the people who just jump in or overly excited people but the food has change. Coffee, 4 options of plain cereals, yogurt, doughnuts, danish and pastries, mini muffin, mini bagels, some sort of soup ( catering to the Asian crowd), juice, milk, hot cocoa, and hot tea. Now they used to offer warm sandwich, French toast stick and burrito before for "Free" cause it was included in your final bill for amenities. Now the option for a warm meal can cause $4 additional on top of an amenities fee. You can save money by going to another hotel and buy breakfast at other places with options. The "free breakfast " has gone down hill from what it use to but again I'm stuck in this hotel for the next day. Music and hula dancer still there which is very nice Aloha touch and very slow wifi available at pool or you can use their business center for a few dollars and printing is extra.

On check out day and i see the bill I see the prices have gone up on taxes but most importantly the amenities fee. Total extra on top of the room cost is $49.57. There's $18 that goes to amenities fee which includes, newspaper, "breakfast", gym, movie/games rental which includes a lot of Asian movies (at the time I looked at it) and who knows what else they'll like to call amenities fee. With $18 I could have ate at Egg&Thing or somewhere, I'm on vacation so i don't need news paper, movies are okay on a rainy day if yonrather stay indoor but Tip: Subway does offer a $3 breakfast combo make it your way downstairs but I don't know how long the promotion goes for... Didn't try it cause I felt Aston already took my money and run with it. Since we were so disappointed we walked less than a block towards the Hyatt Place and ask them about their price and availability. Guess what? We were sold and our extra night went with the Hyatt Place (room and experience will be posted shortly- Amazing! And amenities fee plus taxes total $30.58 with real breakfast! Free wifi in your room, free computer and free printer) So since we couldn't drag our bags around Waikiki we used the bell/bag storage service at the Aston waikiki beach hotel. When we went to pick up our bags, to our surprise the young guy told my husband to come with him, showed him to the room, open the door and had my husband grab his own bag out the door. YES! What a liability to have anyone go into the room with other customer bag. Well it was $3 in tip we saved!

Remember we have stayed here before and even recommended and booked additional room in the past cause we thought it was a good hotel to recommend. We even got a postcard in our room from the "manager" appreciating my business and this time was the worst. REMEMBER, the staff is very friendly and full of Aloha at this hotel. At the time I booked this room I had options from Hilton Village for $175 and other hotels but I went with the only hotel I have stayed and thought I knew but this one was the last time will book them. Some one else got my business and glad I did! I seen reviews and how the Aston management team over and over try to justify the amenities fee to be justifiable but I took simple math elementary school and I think it's another way to nickel and dime during tough economy for struggling hotels.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms ending on #11 cause they are close to elevators. Great breakfast and economical...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Aloha, and thank you for staying with us over the years. We are sorry your first room was not to satisfaction, especially after your long flight. The second room you had was not a downgrade- it was a five category upgrade. The Aloha Suites have more square footage and a sofa bed. We apologize if there were no other rooms on the higher floor for you at the time. We did receive your high-floor request, and as the floor requests are not guaranteed, we were happy to accommodate it because we were able to. We do have to guarantee each of our guests receive the category of room that they reserve with us. This is the most likely reason we were not able to give you another room on the 23rd floor- (needed them for check-ins the next morning) however, we were able to provide an exceptional upgrade.

Our complimentary breakfast includes coffees, teas, juices, milk, mini bagels, pastries, kimchee, miso soup, and hot items such as omelets or French toast for a nominal fee. We realize that our hotel attracts individuals from all over the world, and we try to have a variety to satisfy each palette. We do have hotel-wide WiFi, around the pool deck and in each guest room.
Our daily amenity fee includes complimentary breakfast, hotel-wide WiFi, use of in room safe, daily newspaper, local calls, and unlimited DVD and game rentals from the Kiosk via Play Station 3 in the guest room. Many of the hotels in Waikiki, and all of the comparable hotels to us, have an amenity fee, and ours is tied at the lowest cost, and does provide a tremendous value to our guests.

We also provide complimentary luggage and surf board storage for our guests. Items are monitored by staff, in front of our manager’s/supervisor’s glass wall office (computer’s facing the storage), security cameras, only ‘one way in, one way out’, and each bag is issued a numbered tag with a matching receipt for our guests to ensure the correct bag(s) is issued. We also offer locked cages upon request for individuals who need a little extra in order to have peace of mind. We have not had any ‘mix ups’ or missing items.

Also, we are currently reviewing how we can upgrade many aspects of our property, including parts of the guest room. Our building, similar to most of the buildings in Waikiki, was built over thirty years ago. Our housekeeping and maintenance departments work very hard to keep everything in working order and comfortable for our guests.
I do know that your continued support was acknowledged by our staff and management- your high floor request was honored, our General Manager’s return welcome note was left in your room, and a five-category upgrade was gladly provided to you.

We hope you had another great Hawaiian vacation, and we are sorry to have potentially lost your support. The hotels in Hawaii, ours, and our competitors are in high demand. As for value and location, we provide a lot. The second hotel you decided to go with is fantastic, as well, but pricing cannot be compared because their location is not directly across the street from the beach, and naturally provides different sightlines from the property and guest rooms. .

Iraan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This hotel was very clean and had a free breakfast on the beach which is awesome so we can use the money for another excursion. The hotel staff was very professional and we enjoyed our room with a partial oceanview. We had a safe,clean rooms,and comfortable beds. The hotel is directly across Wakiki Beach and has access to all transportation, so you don't even need a rental car. They have an office (we used Expedia) to help with all excursions and every excursion was top-notch and no problems to get to or come back from. The hotel has a Tiki restaurant which was some of the best food we ate. We felt like we were on a 4 or 5 star restaurant. There is an awesome Hawaiian DJ and a wonderful dancer for your entertainment while you eat breakfast. They also provide a small breakfast bag in case you want to take your breakfast with you which is sooooo cool. This was one of our coolest vacations. The only small bummer we experienced was seeing the "homelessness" in the city. This is everywhere you go and it made my husband and I realize, since we are "country mice" what a problem it is around the world. We have been very sheltered in our area so this was an eye-opener for us. Other than that, this was an awesome experience and all the accomadations were the best and our hotel experience,restaurants,excursions, were the best.

Room Tip: we just needed a place to crash,take a bath and go for the rest of the day that was clean,safe and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha, and thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad to see you enjoyed our friendly service and hotel. We have three activity desks on property. Their ‘travel experts’ provide our guests excursions and transportation services.

Our breakfast includes coffees, teas, juices, milk, mini bagels, cereals, pastries, kimchee, miso soup, and hot items such as omelets or French toast for a nominal fee.

We do realize the homeless problem in Waikiki does affect some of our guests. We have taken a very strong stand and are working with local law enforcement and social service agencies to find a ‘win-win’ solution to this issue. We can assure our guests that our property is very safe. We have monitored surveillance cameras in the communal areas, hotel security 24 hours a day, a close relationship with Honolulu Police Department (who, in my experiences in Honolulu and Waikiki, have a quick response time) and our elevator system also increases our property’s safety because a key is needed to request an elevator to go up to the floors where the guest room are located.

We are thrilled to see you had an amazing vacation at our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back next time!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I would recommend staying at Ashton hotel located a perfect spot right across from the beach staff was very helpful I was ready to accommodate our needsand we always enjoy the entertainment during breakfast thank you for making your life richer with a great experience. Duane &Angela

• Stayed February 2013
Aloha, our breakfast includes items such as coffees, teas, juices, milk, mini bagels, cereals, pastries, kimchee, miso soup, and hot items such as omelets or French toast for a nominal fee.

Thank you for reviewing us, and we welcome you back in the future!

Audubon, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the Aston Waikiki June 2012. There was a little confusion upon check in as I was to receive a room with 2 double beds, not a king. After an 11 hour flight and having booked this trip almost 7 months ahead of time, I was not pleased. However the staff apologized and even though my sister and I were not in the correct room, they supplied us with a roll away bed and were able to switch our room the next day. The staff were courteous and accommodating. The room they moved us to was beautiful with a balcony and a stunning view of the ocean. Breakfast was great! I don't always eat a big breakfast so this was perfect, and the one time I did there was the opportunity to have a hot breakfast for a small fee and a hula dancer and ukulele player for entertainment! Everything was at your disposal, tours, restaurants, shops! Loved it! Can't wait to be able to go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Aloha, and thank you for reviewing our service and hotel. We are glad you and your family had a great time.

Our location is direclty across the street from the beach, and conveniently located near trasportaion and popular venues and attractions,

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great location with stunning views. There is room for improvement though! They just had wireless broadband installed while we were there in February, yeah! The bathrooms were a bit tired and they are the next to get a revamp. I wasn't a fan of the breakfast system, mainly because there was not enough seating around the pool area and it was all in the shade, nice in Summer but cool in Winter. The lifts were great and easy to use.
It was expensive considering the services on offer but it was nice and clean. There are better/ more affordable options a block back from the beach.

Room Tip: Try not to get an interconnecting door between rooms, the only noise we had were from the party boys...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha, and thank you for staying with us. Yes, we have fantastic views of Waikiki and Diamond Head, and are located directly across the street from the beach. We do have hotel-wide WiFi, and are currently in the process of reviewing what we can do to improve our property during the next renovation.

Thank you for staying with us!

Southern New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We needed a place to finish our vacation off, Due to our airline schedule we had to stay an extra day more than our timeshare had available. We were able to book a room at the last minute which was nice. We were on the eastern side of the building on the 25th floor with a great view of the beach, Diamondhead and the zoo. The check in was quick and easy. The few downsides to this hotel are 1st $27 valet only parking fee, and of course they want a tip to retreive your car. At the Aston Beachside 10 days earlier I only paid $22, and they use the same garage. a few hundred feet down the street. 2nd Is their AMMENITY FEE ?? This is the first time in 30 years of traveling I have ever been charged an ammentiyty fee. Basically they charge you $18.00 plus $ 3.00 tax ( ON A DAILY BASIS ) to have the continental breakfast, and use the high speed interent and DVD rentals. The breakfast consist of cold cereal, yogurt,pastries, and coffee But hey for another additional fee of $2 you can get french toast, or for $5 you can get an omlet. Since we were just a one night stay, We got 2 cups of week coffee and cold cereal for the $ 18.00. I think they should just add the $20.00 to the advertised room rate rather than the bait and switch tactic that they are using. If you book through Travelocity of other online travel sites these ammenity fees are not told to you. So you would need to add $21.00 a day to the cost of your room. If you have a rental car you can add $ 48.00 to your daily room expense. For anyone staying for 5 days you can round that out to an extra $200.

Room Tip: There is nom great tip for choosing a room, you put in a request on line and hope for the best. I s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Our daily amenity fee includes breakfast, hotel-wide WiFi, use of in room safe, daily newspaper, local calls, and unlimited DVD and game rentals from the Kiosk via Play Station 3 in the guest room. The Online Websites do inform shoppers that there may be additional fees on top of the room rate, and our website describes the information in detail. Our amenity fee is tied at the lowest compared to similar hotels in Waikiki, and our Hotel Valet parking is the lowest cost on Kalakaua Avenue.

We are glad you enjoyed the spectacular views provided from the 25th floor of our hotel. We are located directly across the street from the beach.

Guest Services Coordinator

Been to Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!