Reading recent Tripadvisor reviews after purchasing an affordable travel package ($614 for three nights at this hotel, roundtrip transfers, lei greeting, etc) on-line through Costco Travel almost prompted us to cancel our reservation at this hotel. We are glad we didn't!
The package guaranteed a partial-ocean view room and for whatever reason we ended up on the 14th floor in an ocean-view room with full sweeping view of Waikiki. Our deck chair and its foot rest became a viewing stand from which we ate breakfasts, dinners (take out is nearby) and sipped morning Kona coffee (served at the hotel buffet) and sunset wine.
This 645-room hotel is one of Waikiki's older properties. It underwent renovations in 2002 and again in 2006. Some of the common areas, such as the decking around the pool, as mentioned by others, is in need of replacement. Our room with two double beds didn't have a lot of extra space but it was decked out in bright Hawaii colors, the sheets were as luxurious as those we've had at higher end properties, the carpet new and of bamboo design and the towels were thick. The room was very clean; the maids were there every morning, bright and early.
The hotel also has some nice touches. IWe were provided two cotton kimono robes and newspapers were available every morning at the elevators on each floor.
We are puzzled by some of the complaints we read in earlier reviews of the food provided each morning. The whole concept is to serve breakfast on/in disposable flatware so that you can put it in the insulated bag (a gift from the hotel to keep) and take it, along with hotel-provided beach chairs and towels to the beach just across the street - the hotel's Breakfast on the Beach program. Most guests seemed to want to cluster themselves around the pool however and for that reason hotel management told us they have ordered more tables and chairs to accomodate the morning diners. The food selection included yogurt, cereals, miso soup, rice cakes, fresh pastries, and fresh fruit. Hot items were available for a nominal cost. Kona coffee as well as two additional special blends were also available.
The only 'negatives' we would note were: the lack of wi-fi in the guest rooms (supposed to be installed in February 2013), and, a frustrating room key lock system that required several tries before the door opened. The elevator required the room key to be swiped both at the lobby level and on the floor before it would appear. (If you locked your key in your room you would have been unable to take the elevator to the lobby to get another one).
While others seemed to have negative check-in experiences, we had five people manning the check in computers when we arrived; we stood in line for less than 20 minutes and our wait for our room wasn't more than another 20 (our flight was early - we were at at the hotel before the 3 p.m. check-in). All the staff members we encountered from check in to check out were friendly and efficient.
The location was perfect: across from the famed beach, within a couple of blocks of high end shopping at the Royal Hawaiian shopping center, a block from the Honolulu Zoo and just a bit further to Queen Kapiolani Park and the Aquarium. Bus stops for buses going into Honolulu or away from it were within a block of the hotel. A Starbucks next door provided the free internet access we needed and for those with a sweet tooth, Coldstone Creamery was off the lobby.
Tourism is on the upswing in Waikiki and so are the hotel prices. We found this hotel to be well worth what we paid for it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another package from Costco or to make a return visit here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking one of the world's most renowned beaches, the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel provides an oceanfront experience at surprisingly accommodating rates. The Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel is the ideal vacation headquarters for couples, families (children stay free) and groups seeking the ultimate Hawaiian experience. The vast majority of our 644 guest rooms offer a private lanai and stunning full or partial ocean views. Diamond Head rises majestically on one side of the hotel, while legendary Waikiki Beach stretches out from the other. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Aston Hotels & Resorts, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waikiki Beach Hotel
- Aston Honolulu
- Resort Quest Waikiki Beach Hotel
- Resortquest Waikiki Beach Hotel Hawaii
- Aston Hotel Waikiki
- Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel Hawaii/Honolulu