“Rent Underwater Digital Cameras for $20 per day” 5 of 5 stars

Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2570 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Ranked #52 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
A TripAdvisor Member
“Rent Underwater Digital Cameras for $20 per day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2003

We found the greatest deal. We found this company, "VacationPIX" that rents these compact digital cameras with underwater housings for cheap. We shot over 100 images and they uploaded them to a sharable web page and sent them to our family while we were there. We got some great shots of sea turtles. Check'em out at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel! 808-926-7774 There's a fun bar at this hotel too, Tiki's Bar and Grill.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Korean first
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2003

We had the pleasure of staying at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel for a
week in August. Since we read many reviews, we had an idea what to
expect in terms of decor as well as the notoriously slow elevators.
However, on the flip side, we had a partial ocean view room
--reasonably priced--with a breathtaking view of the ocean. We totally
enjoyed the fun atmosphere of the breakfast. It was lots of fun for our
daughter, since there were tons of kids around. In fact, we felt that
this hotel was a completely fun and "happening" place ,and that for a
family it had just the right casual atmosphere along with a high level
of customer service.

We found the Tiki to be one of the best restaurants around, and we
actually ate there several times. We were disappointed in many other
restaurants in town.

I took a walk through the lobbies of some of the more "upscale" hotels that were on the same side of the street and found them to be DULL , DARK,and STUFFY, while the Aston Waikiki, was busy, bright, and cheerful.

Additionally, although those hotels were also right across from the beach, the view was blocked by the hotels that were actually on the beach and the beach access was limited to a hard-to-find alley.
The Aston Waikiki Beach hotel has an unobstructed view of the beach as
well as complete access to it. When you are traveling with kids, what
can be more fun than a place with a great pool, a cool restaurant,
excellent beach access, a great hotel store that sells and inflates
beach floats (everything in the store is reasonably priced), a
Starbucks, Wolfgang Puck's, and a Denny's right in the same building,
and lots of other families with kids? The atmosphere at breakfast was
so friendly, and the food was great. ( Who wants to spend a beautiful
morning at Waikiki Beach searching for a place to have breakfast????)

And, yes, you do have to pay for valet parking, but, we found that to
be the case in most of the cities that we visited, and I am sure it is
true of most,if not all, of the hotels at Waikiki Beach. In short, if
you go into the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel looking for a fun, casual,
happening place to be, you will not be disappointed. We loved it and we
would definitely stay there again!

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2003

My partner and I stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel September 17th thru the 22nd. We requested an ocean front corner king but the hotel only offers corner doubles so we took it. However, the view was awesome and the sounds of the street, the ocean and even the poolside music were enjoyable and entertaining. I would strongly reccommend staying above the 10th floor if you are sensitive to the sounds and noise of busy Waikiki. The hotel is located on the less crazy side of the strip, just a short stroll from Kanipali Park yet still on the main drag with plenty of activity just outside the door. There was a lot of care and thought put into the renovation of this property and the surfer beach 60's look is all very amusing. Yes, rooms are on the small side but they make do with the space very well. The new furnishings are comfortable and include a small fridge and an iron and ironing board.
There is easy access to the nicely groomed beach accross the street and you don't have to trample through a long formal lobby to get there as you do at some of the other Waikiki properties. The pool and its Tiki bar and restaurant are nicely done, reasonably priced and offer a nice ocean view. The free tote bags, beach chairs and complimentary breakfast and are a nice plus. All the staff we encountered were pleasant and accommodating. On the downside, the hotel is not really a 4 star property. The hallway carpets and walls are not well maintained and are already showing a lot of wear and tear. There is no room service and I agree with previous reviewers that the $13 a day valet parking is a total rip off. Because of the hotel's reasonable prices, there were lots of young people and many local weekenders which made the poperty seem a bit over crowded. The Aston Waikiki Beach hotel is a nice alternative to the higher priced and stuffy Marriott next door and more charming than the Park Shore also located next door.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2003

My boyfriend and I spent 6 nights at the Aston Waikiki Beach hotel in a partial oceanview room. I upgraded from the Mauka Tower to get the free breakfast. The room was small but we had a gorgeous view of the beach (about the same, if better, than my parent's oceanview room) - the room was actually more spacious than the oceanview room (which you pay at least $100 more a night for). The free breakfast was good and the staff was friendly and helpful. We ate at the Tiki Restaurant for lunch one day and the food and drinks were very tasty. My only complaints were: valet parking for guests of the hotel is $13 (US) - it should be included for guests of the hotel; the elevators were very, very slow - be prepared to wait; they only give you three drawers in the room to store your clothes - I know you are pretty much in a bathing suit the entire time in Hawaii but, really, three drawers for two people?? If you are going to stay at this hotel, save your money and get the partial oceanview room (it's more spacious than the oceanview room and has the same view). We had a pretty good experience overall, but will probably not stay there again - only because Waikiki itself is too touristy and crowded.

• Stayed September 2003
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2003

Great location with AWESOME views if you get a beachfront location.
HOWEVER, this is NOT ON THE BEACH. You have to cross the street (didn't realize from many of the pics and misleading name). Snazzy, hip decor.
Still, I really loved the location overall. No room service, but you could eat at so many places very close by. The free breakfast that comes with some rooms is so-so. If you're not a big breakfast person, this could save you some change. I could hear the outside from my beachfront room as if my window was open!!! Really. Very poor insulation. This was one of the biggest drawbacks. Although I had a great time, I probably would shop and stay elsewhere next time. Opinion from a 29 yr old active guy on vaca with a few friends. Good luck. -JC

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2003

This is advertized as a "Superior" or 4-star property. It isn't.
But...it does have a good location. The rooms are OK if you can get past the totally tasteless decor. It's hard to see where they spend $30M on renovations. If you plan to spend a lot of time in your room you probably won't be too happy (but who goes to Hawaii to spend time in the room). Our partial ocean view room had a great view of Diamond Head and you could just see the sea from the 2 foot wide lanai.
Elevators are an adventure. Breafast on the beach is a decent idea - you get a cooler bag to fill up so you can get a cheap lunch as well.
Selection of food is basic. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. Probably better deals a block or so back from the beach.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2003

My husband and I stayed at the AWBH August 17th-24th. We liked the hotel very much. Although we agree that its not a 4 star hotel, we didn't pay that much for our room and we were there during the peek of their tourist season. I think we paid about $120 a night, so we didn't really expect a 4 star hotel. Reading prior reviews made me nervous, but once we got there I didn't understand why everyone is complaining.
You get what you pay for, if you expected a nicer hotel don't you think you would be paying a lot more? When I think of a 4 star hotel I would expect to pay over $200 during the peak tourist season. I thought the complaints about the room size where halarious - who goes to Hawaii to spend time in the room? Not to mention most hotel rooms in Honolulu/Waikiki are small. The worst thing about the room was the lack of dresser space. We cleared out one drawer that had the Bible and some paper in it so we would both have one drawer for our underwear, socks and bathingsuits. We hung up a lot of stuff and put everything else on the closet shelf and on top of the safe. The carpet was stained, but you would see them shampoo the carpet so I'm sure it was not "dirty" as some of the other reviews suggested. The decor is ugly, but fun at the same time. I had my husband take my picture in front of the beaded closet with the hula dancer. I loved it! You can not be uptight or a control freak to stay at this hotel, you have to have fun with it. My husband and I are in our mid 20's and thought it was a perfect place for our age group and anyone that just likes to kick back and have fun.
It was nice to stay in a hotel that doesn't look like every other hotel. The elevators were always busy in the morning so the trick is to take the elevator up first and then ride it down. If you try to go down you may have to wait a while before one comes that is not totally crowded. This also depends on what floor you are on - we were on the 15th floor. I loved our room -1501. We had a good view of the ocean and the hotel pool. The Marriott Hotel partially obstructed the view, but there are so many huge hotels in Waikiki I'm sure most of them have the same problem. When we walked out of your room there was a spectacular view of Diamond Head because the hallway was open. Tiki's was a great place to eat. We went at 9pm one night and it was so busy we ended up eating at the bar. They put our order in around 9:15 and we still hadn't received it at 10pm so they took our food off the bill. The bartender felt so bad and kept appologizing but we didn't care because we were drinking and people watching. The food is awesome and if you go when its not busy you can get a great table overlooking the beach. The location is awesome because you are at the end of the strip so its probably a lot quieter and less busy. A prior review was saying it was crowded with a lot of athletes and young people but I think that was true at most of the hotels. What do you expect when you go during the peak tourist season? People who don't like crowds should go to Maui or one of the other islands, or at least stay off Waikiki Beach. If we ever went back to Oahu I would stay at the AWBH again. BOB was so convenient and the food was pretty good. I was so happy we didn't have to try to find a place to have breakfast each morning and it saved us a lot of money. For those of you who need Starbucks there is one right around the corner!

Been to Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!