The Aston Waikiki hotel is great for a family vacation. In all fairness, for those who like a bit more luxury, it isn't a 5 star hotel, but it did offer everything we needed. The location is great! The hotel is at the end of the Waikiki strip, close to the Diamond Head area (great location for a morning run). It is also right across from the beach which is wonderful! Yes, there is a section of the beach area that is currently under construction, but it's not like you have to walk a mile to find the next open beach area...maybe a block (if even). Plus, the fun part of Waikiki is walking down the beach anyway and seeing all the different hotels, etc. So, if you are looking for quiet and remote, you should probably not be staying in Honolulu period (Maui and Kaui are better islands for that).
Another nice feature is the breakfast, which offers an assortment of bagels, muffins, doughnuts and fresh fruit. In my opinion, I actually thought they had a generous assortment and they did a good job of keeping it stocked during the breakfast hours. Sure, it is just bagels and pastries, but it's more than what most hotels (even the nicer hotels) offer as part of the hotel stay package. If you want to fill up on eggs, sausage, etc., you may want to find an ihop or a breakfast place for that. We also liked that we could fill up our cooler bag to have snacks the rest of the day. We didn't have any issues with lines or crowds and were there over spring break.
There is a Wolfgang Puck and Subway right below the hotel which is nice for a cheaper meal. If you like to do a little exploring, just walk down the street towards the Royal Hawaiian hotel and you will find tons of food options and shopping. Everything is super close together.
The only negative feedback I have is that the rooms are indeed small and a bit outdated in style. However, I felt the rooms are clean and the staff does a good job of supplying fresh towels everyday and cleaning the room daily. In all honesty, you are not in your room much anyway and if you plan to be, I would question why when you are in a location as great as Hawaii.
1. Don't rent a car for the entire time - the transportation is very good for getting you around the Honolulu area. It is not worth the daily parking fees that most hotels charge.
2. If you do want to rent a car, I would recommend it only for visiting the north shore and the Kailua beach area. Those are definitely must see areas of Oahu. The shaved ice in the North Shore area is fantastic!
3. Bring your walking shoes - everything is pretty close together in Waikiki, but the strip is fairly long and there are lots of things to see, so be prepared to walk.
4. The night life is fun for kids and adults. Lots of people doing their little shows on the sidewalks at night time. Yes, there are quite a few homeless people but they won't bother you if you don't bother them.
5. Wear your sunscreen! The sun is intense even if the weather only feels like 75 degrees.
Enjoy yourselves! The tradeoff for a less luxurious hotel is worth it if you want to make this a budget trip for you and your family in a place of paradise!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking one of the world's most renowned beaches, the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel provides an oceanfront experience at surprisingly accommodating rates. The Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel is the ideal vacation headquarters for couples, families (children stay free) and groups seeking the ultimate Hawaiian experience. The vast majority of our 644 guest rooms offer a private lanai and stunning full or partial ocean views. Diamond Head rises majestically on one side of the hotel, while legendary Waikiki Beach stretches out from the other. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Aston Hotels & Resorts, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Otel, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waikiki Beach Hotel
- Aston Honolulu
- Resort Quest Waikiki Beach Hotel
- Resortquest Waikiki Beach Hotel Hawaii
- Aston Hotel Waikiki
- Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel Hawaii/Honolulu