“October 2012” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aqua Waikiki Wave

You added Aqua Waikiki Wave to your Saves list
Aqua Waikiki Wave
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2299 Kuhio Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Formerly Aqua Coral Reef (~2006/9/30))   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 15%
Ranked #50 of 83 Hotels in Honolulu
Oakville, Canada
“October 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We went on our first ever trip to Hawaii. I didn't know what to expect except that the prices were high! I was apprehensive about staying at this hotel as I wasn't sure about the location. Turns out it was great! It was located right next to the International market and a 5 minute walk to the beach. My kids, 10 and 6 were very happy to walk through the market everyday. The staff was fantastic. Always greeting us when we came down to the lobby. They had a lot of great advice for trick or treating with the kids. The rooms were clean and spacious and we had a great view of the mountains and ocean. We got a terrific upgrade with 3 double beds, just like being at home! The only issue with this hotel is that there is no pool. Having 2 young kids, it would have been nice to have pool privileges at another Aqua resort during our stay. Otherwise, I would stay here again for sure!!

Room Tip: Corner suites have 3 double beds and two balconies!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

On December 26, 2012 that night was amazing! Customer service at front desk was superb and I was in awe on one of the staff members who truly helped me that time. It was a surprise anniversary gift for my parents and I got an awesome free upgrade. Price very reasonable with parking and very convenient for my parents to stay. It was closer to the place they wanted to be at. (International Market) - Monday Wednesday and Thursdays free hula/aloha dance show/theater. My parents stated that the room was very decent and really spacious! I looked and I totally agreed! Housekeeping was the bomb! :D I love their incentives and modern fashion. It makes it like, feel at home... My parents cried for the surprise and they said it was magnificent. View was fantastic and continental breakfast was delicious as my parents stated. I would love to try book at this hotel very soon! I should of known this hotel before.... Wish I only knew back then, but to top it all, aqua Waikiki wave hotel was number one for me.

Room Tip: Superior deluxe room was amazing. In fact any room is absolutely fine!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CAMAS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I was in Honolulu on business - have been coming here once per year since 1998. Was really impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel room, the comfort of the 2 double beds and a nice workstation and clean and spacious bathroom. The location was great - 8 min walk to the beach, and many closeby restaurants to choose from, starting next door. The front desk was nice and helpful. The only negative was the elevator - long wait times and I ended up walking the 7 flights to my room rather often, as I did not like waiting.

I will gladly stay here at this hotel again.

Room Tip: ask the front desk which the noisy rooms are - they know.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Flynn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our stay was really pleasant overall and the staff were just great - notably Michael, Kisha, James and the concierge. They could not have been more polite, friendly or helpful. The hotel is very centrally located near shops, eating places and the beach with plenty of convenience stores, fast food, ATMs and souvenir shops etc nearby. The lifts were pretty slow and bad but are being refurbished. Being so centrally located there is quite a lot of street noise, Air Con fan unit noise from other nearby establishments, sirens and cooking smells that drift up to the rooms. We were there in peak time and the wait for our room was going to be extensive so Micheal on reception offered a very reasonable upgrade of room to help get us sorted - which was appreciated. The concierge lady was very helpful and a mine of information and happily made shuttle and cab bookings to help us get around easily and quickly. We'd happily go back.

Room Tip: Go as high as possible to avoid street noise and smells and also to get reasonable views. Rooms on t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Our family just got back from an 8-day trip to Hawaii where we stayed at the Waikiki Aqua Wave hotel. My favorite thing about the hotel was the staff; William, James, Keisha and Issac were super friendly, especially considering that our 12 year old refused to use the elevator and the staff had to constantly open the door to the stairwell so that she could make it up the (14 flights) of stairs. But the staff was super cool about it and it really seemed like they enjoyed helping us out.

The hotel is within 2 blocks of the beach in a prime part of Waikiki, which also means it is a pretty busy (but also a very convenient) area. Some previous posts for this hotel complained about the noise, however, this did not bother us. The hotel is immediately next door to the International Market Place, which did have Hawaiian music playing every night. But then again, you don’t stay in the Waikiki area for the serenity. The rooms were very clean and reasonably priced. I would definitely visit this hotel again, especially because the staff were so nice

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed in a suite which are on the corners of the hotel, so you get two balconies. One looked towards the water while the other was towards Ala Moana direction.
The suite had a queen bed in a separate room while the main room had 2queen beds. Spacious room with lots of space for suitcases after shopping till you drop.
At the moment they are completly replacing one lift at a time which takes a few months for each, so it takes a little longer to get up and down as you are using a service lift as the second lift and the lifts work independently.
Staff very friendly, the managers reception afternoon was very nice with a wave cocktail.
Beach towels supplied.
Buses to get anywhere are in the same street so this is really handy as we didn't hire a car but bought monthly bus passes so could jump on off whenever we wanted.
Less than 10 minutes to beach.
Excellent value, why pay more when you only need it to sleep and shower in.
Have stayed twice now and would return there as first choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We initially booked a superior waikiki wave room. Due to the rooms being booked out while I was waiting ( a long time!) for the receptionist to understand my emails we were upgraded to a Deluxe Guest room which had two double beds and a balcony with a great view.

We were very happy with the reservation overall, despite the prolonged communications as the hotel agreed to beat an online quote from an external site. Check in was efficient and we were allowed an early check in as we arrived at about 9.30am.

I don't think the location and price of this hotel can be beat. It's right next to International Marketplace, one block inland from the main street and two blocks away from the beach. It's near lots of eating options and opposite a ramen restaurant with huge queues. The majority of stores and restaurants are within 10-15 minutes walk from the hotel (we loved the cheesecake factory). It's even near the Ala Wai canal.

We even managed to walk to diamond head crater (about 1 hour to get there) and the bus stop to Ala Moana, Pearl harbour and Hanauma bay etc is right across the road. The reception has a list of which buses to catch to get to various locations. We rented a car for a day to get around the island and the rental place was only a few blocks away.

The room was very clean and spacious. No problems with the bathroom at all. We had a beautiful view from our balcony and could see out to the water. Bed was comfortable and we slept very well.

The room was about 10 floors above some sort of parking garage meaning that there were loud clanks and whirrs for hours at night and there is a pub/bar downstairs meaning lots of loud "whoo"s were to be heard for hours. The first night I slept with earplugs and the rest of the week I got used to it and slept right through without any ear plugs. No complaints here but if you're a light sleeper it might bother you. Earplugs are provided by the hotel.

Overall we were very happy with this hotel, especially at the price we got. We would definitely come back to stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple