“Great location, great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aqua Waikiki Wave

You added Aqua Waikiki Wave to your Saves list
Aqua Waikiki Wave
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2299 Kuhio Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Formerly Aqua Coral Reef (~2006/9/30))   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 15%!
Ranked #47 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Michigan
“Great location, great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My two sisters, a brother and I stayed in the Aqua Waikiki Wave for 3 nights in Sept. We wanted an affordable room that met our "hotel standards" and was convenient to activities in Honolulu and that's exactly what we got. We stayed in a three queen bedroom which was perfect for our situation, my brother had the queen that was essentially a separate room with tv that could be closed off from the rest of the large area with 2 more queens with its own tv. There is also a small refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave in the room. The room had 2 lanais, one which overlooked the International Marketplace (which we shopped at a lot!) and from which we could also get a glimpse of Diamond Head and also Waikiki beach. The staff was very helpful from answering tourist kind of questions to delivering extra towels in what seemed like a matter of seconds. Isaac and Florida are two employees that really are exceptional.
There is an abc next door for souvenirs, some groceries and liquor. Also next door is a wonderful bakery that became our morning stop for doughnuts and coffee to go. Udon Noodles across the street is a great place for an inexpensive Japanese lunch or dinner.
The trash truck comes by very early in the morning and does tend to wake you up on certain days - even on the 14th floor. To me that is a minor inconvenience and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher up you are the "quieter" the road noise. The elevators can be slow, but relax...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
kihei
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Recently I had my second business trip booking at Aqua Waikiki Wave in Honolulu and was again, treated so well, that I will be booking a pleasure trip there soon. George is a superb manager and went out of his way to see to it that I was comfortable in every way this past week. I was there under some pressure to study for a major national boards exam - that was given nearby. I locked myself in my room and focused on study material but I have to tell you, it was psychologically extremely helpful to feel like I was staying in an extended 'home', and not just in a sterile, anonymous hotel room. Quite the contrary. My room was large, bright, tasteful, so well appointed, and clean! George was very sensitive to the pressure I was under and gave me every consideration - room upgrade, late checkout and asked how things were going for me along the way. I like him as a person and felt I would always feel welcomed and cared for in this hotel. I love the location too - great food in the area, beach is just a 5minute walk. I am recommending to my friends on Maui (where I live) to see George when you want to stay in Honolulu. Also - I come from New York City originally, and I will telling my professional travelers and friends to call George too - proud to know him and recommend his hotel!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

My sister and I stayed 6 days/5 nights and could not believe how friendly, quick to assist us and all the guest we saw being serviced. You have outstanding staff in Isaac and Wayne, and should hire the same caliber of employees. They were always friendly and willing to give us fantastic directions on the various sites we wanted to drive to. I also want to compliment Frank, the security guard. At night when I would step outside to smoke, he would always keep an eye on me and stepped in when an intoxicated stranger attempted to get a cigarrette from me. I loved our stay and would definitely recommend to our friends and family members to stay at your hotel. It is large and loved having 2 balconies. The rooms were always clean and had plenty of towels. Great idea having microwaves, refrigerators and coffee makers in the room.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Alice Springs, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Not a 5 star but probably a good 3+. Had 2 days then a further 6 days after a cruise. Bit of noise but after a day out in places to be seen it was not a problem, sleep came easy.
In the middle of all of the action in town, walking that is. Rooms good, staff good. Will go back some day and will stay at this place again. Plenty of local bus runs past the door and cheap at that to go touring the island.

Room Tip: All appear to be about the same.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Not really a Family hotel, The parking garage next door woke us up every morning, the air conditioning units kept us from opening the sliding glass door at nite.
There wasn't enought parking.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We stayed a week at this hotel and had no significant problems. The rooms are quite large and ours was very clean. The bedding was good quality and the beds were very comfortable. They had free wifi and the speed was generally satisfactory. The area that the hotel is in is noisy, but we did not have a problem with noise on the 12th floor. The front desk staff and housekeeping staff were friendly and helpful. The main negative was that the bathroom was very small and the fixtures seemed a bit worn. The views from the rooms and the pool area are not particularly great, so this hotel is probably best for people not planning to spend a lot of time in the hotel.

Room Tip: Request room on high floor due to noise issues.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

There were 2 adults and 3 teens, we had a 3 queen corner room with 2 balconies on the 6th floor. It was very loud the first night we arrived but we got used to the noise. The room itself had plenty of room, could have a bigger bathroom but we made it work. I had emailed in advance asking for extra pillows & towels for our arrival, we only got the extra pillows( which were too soft) but when we asked for the extra towels next day we got them. For most of the trip housekeeping was good BUT we realized it was only surface cleaning as something was misplaced and we were checking under beds and 1 bed had a bag of garbage, beach mat, sandals etc left under it. 1 night we arrived back at the hotel after 11pm and tried to enter our room and neither of our room cards worked, went down to front desk and they re-set cards and they still didn't work, then they said battery died in the card reader so had to call in someone- finally after midnight we got in our room. All the "bad" things, garbage, room not cleaned properly and the room card reader all happened in the same day and since there was no real apology for inconveniences we had a bad feel for hotel after that day. Duke's Lane and International Marketplace are close by for inexpensive souvenir shopping. Found the guy ,at the Big kahuna restaurant attached to hotel, to be quite annoying & it got worse on our last night while waiting for shuttle pick up. We still enjoyed our trip overall and the location was close to beach, shopping and restaurants. Next time will not stay at this hotel but not because of the room itself just would like to be just a little closer to beach & not next to nightclubs

Room Tip: High floor and corner room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Aqua Waikiki Wave? Share your experiences!