“A little gem away from the main tourist strip of Waikiki” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book Direct and Save 25%
Ranked #19 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Glasgow
“A little gem away from the main tourist strip of Waikiki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just got back from a 10 night stay at this hotel and am glad that I made the right decision and chose this place even though there has been a few negative reviews written about this place. I cannot fault the staff, the hotel, the room or the view in any way, everything about this hotel exceeded my expectations on what a low budget hotel would be. My room 704 was spacious and had the most comfortable bed and pillows I have used in a hotel with a beautiful view overlooking Ala Wai River and mountains, every morning I would make my own breakfast in the little kitchenette in my room and sit out on the balcony enjoying the view and sunshine before starting the day sightseeing. The noise level from the traffic was not as bad as others made out, I am city girl at heart and have lived in the most nosiest areas in the world and this hotel location was rather quieter than I was led to believe, the only noise was mainly from the air conditioner which only cooled the room marginally but I tend to not use the A/C and prefer a cool breeze coming in the window.The hotel was really close to the heart of Waikiki and the beach, I didn't need to hire a car and managed to walk and take the bus everywhere, the bus stop was only a 2 min walk away and in under 15 minutes I was able to walk to Fort Derussy beach and enjoy the sea breeze. When I needed to catch a cab for a friends wedding, the front desk managed to call up a cheap cab company within 5 minutes and when I needed advice to certain attractions, the concierge was super helpful. Overall, this hotel was the perfect little place while I was a long way away from home and I loved how free wifi is offered along with yummy pineapple tea, if I ever head back to Waikiki this will be the hotel of choice as the money saved I was able to enjoy other delights of Hawaii.

Room Tip: Request for Mountain view if you would like a nice view with a spacious room, especially room 704.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Coconut W, Director of Rooms at Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Aloha yuki-ukko!

Oh wow! We are absolutely flattered! Thank you for the wonderful comments. After staying 10-nights with us, you can consider yourself part of our ohana (family). Come back again soon!

Mahalo!
Brian Aker
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed only for a couple of nights but the room was spacious and clean, the staff remembered our names as soon as we saw them and they were most helpful. We got there in the morning and were able to check in right away. We were even given a box of chocolates from the staff. The hotel was only 3 blocks from the beach and a block to a main bus route that would take you anywhere. The view from our room was of the canal and it was beautiful. There is no continental breakfast and the concierge was not very helpful. Every time we saw him his nose was in his computer at a desk in the lobby and did not give very clear or helpful information. The front desk staff was more helpful than he was. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We paid in advance for this room through the hotel itself and it was a really good deal. We had a d...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here from 09-13th Oct. Room#310. The view was not at all good, but dint matter as we hardly stayed in the room during the day. The hotel has its own unique style in terms of color and design. We checked in like 2 hours early and were accommodated without much wait. The rooms are good quality room, the bathroom seem to be little cramped but manageable. The place is good and is like a 10 minute walk from Waikiki beach, IMP and the cheesecake factory ;). The daily parking is $25 (only valet). Don't mind staying again at this hotel. the ice machine is on Level 4.

Room Tip: Room on the higher floors (5 and above) with the canal view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My family is from Hawaii and I come visit once or twice a year. This time I came for my wedding! Unfortunately, my husband had to return to work much sooner than planned. I love my family but after 2 weeks and a wedding I needed a break! Unless planning ahead or spending a fortune, I didn't think I'd find a decent hotel in Waikiki on such short notice AND reasonably priced. The Coconut in was just that! It only cost me $99 a night for a one bedroom, queen size bed. Sure, it's nothing fancy, it's not on the strip or beach front, no continental breakfast, no restaurant. However I will say it was clean, comfortable and cozy. The pool is a bit small and the sunlight seems to hit the entire patio for only like an hour out of the whole day, but who cares? Your in Hawaii! why stay in your hotel and swim? Over all it was a great stay and a great break from my family! Left feeling very relaxed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Coconut W, Front Office Manager at Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Aloha,

I would first like to say congratulations to the both of you on your nuptials! I hope that you had a wonderful wedding celebration while here on Oahu! I am happy to hear that you were able to spend some extra time on the island and that you chose to stay with us here at the Coconut Waikiki Hotel. With all the hard work and planning, it is important to find some balance and spoil yourself with some relaxation.

We wish you both the best and thank you again!

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I enjoyed the stay at this hotel because the staffs were friendly and personal. The hotel feels cozy and I liked the cute decor. The hotel offered free breakfasts and my hotel room was comfortable and clean.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha,

Thank you for your review. I am so happy to hear that our staff's friendliness made you feel comfortable and welcomed. This can have a great influence on your vacation when you are so far from home and in an unfamiliar place.

Thank you again and we hope that one day you may return!

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I recently travelled with my mother for 6 nights in Honolulu. Coconut Waikiki was perfect!! Great value - rooms clean and spacious and light and a small kitchenette which allowed us the option of self catering lunches. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. Plus as its back on the canal it's quiet and yet only two blocks from Kalakaua. Great value for money!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Aloha,

I am happy to hear that you and your mother had a great time with us here at the Coconut Waikiki hotel. The wet bar and kitchenettes can be very convenient when you do not want to venture out to look for eateries. It's also great to store your items that you plan to consume to get your morning started. It is great that you were able to utilize these amenities during your stay.

Thank you for your time in reviewing our hotel.

Dusseldorf, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Great newly renovated Hotel. Very clean. Great location and in walking distance to the Beach.
A little noisy but that 's the way it is everywhere in Waikiki. Valet Parking quiet expensive (26 USD a Night).
Would always come back here next time.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel and the convenience of our location. When you get a chance to return to Oahu, please let us know because we love to see familiar faces!

Daniel floren

Been to Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!