“A lovely little hotel with great staff, minutes from the beach” 4 of 5 stars

Let's Be Direct
Ranked #15 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“A lovely little hotel with great staff, minutes from the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I loved my stay at the Coconut Waikiki... Due to my complete lack of planning, I arrived at the hotel at 8am and hadn't organised an early check in. Regardless, they were able to provide me with a room within minutes and even upgraded me to a mountain view room! All of the receptionists were all so incredibly friendly and helpful. I had an issue with my patio door and they sent up the maintenance man straight away to fix it. The room itself had a fridge and a microwave, both of which were great.

The hotel is a really short walk from the the main street (where all the restaurants etc.) are and Waikiki beach also. And if you fancy getting away from the tourists, the pick up locations for tours are all really close. I ran from the hotel to Diamond Head and back as it was only 5k... It's really nice along the canal.

I also used the laundry facilities - the reception sells laundry products and will give you change for the machines. There is also free tea/juice which is lovely when you're parched after a long day! The airport shuttle can be booked from reception but make sure you leave enough time. I had a 9.30 flight and the receptionist recommended the 7.45 shuttle (they come hourly). I decided to go at 6.45 instead which was a wise move as there was a lot of traffic on the roads.

I would definitely would stay here again... The hotel isn't super modern but it has charm, is in a great location and the staff are all really nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Coconut W, Front Office Manager at Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to hear that our front desk staff was able to accommodate you with and early check-in upon your 8:00 am arrival. I know that this can be very important because the faster you can get settled in, the faster you can start relaxing and enjoying your Hawaiian vacation. It is also great to hear that all staff members were prompt in responding in your times of need. Thank you again and we hope to see you return in the near future!

Daniel Floren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had to scramble for a last minute trip to Hawaii and we're so glad to have found the Coconut Waikiki. The service is great from check in to valet service...staff is very friendly and helpful! Our room had a very comfortable king size bed with 6 pillows, 40" TV, free wifi, small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker & kitchenette for a very reasonable rate! Couldn't be happier with our choice!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Aloha,

I am happy to hear that everything worked out well for you and your family during your stay here with us at the Coconut Waikiki Hotel. I am glad that all of the amenities which we provide came in handy throughout your stay. Thank you and we hope to see you again!

Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Very small pool. Only saw 1 person in the pool in the week we were there. The people in the lobby were very friendly and helpful. The room was kinda small. The air conditioner was at the bottom of the sliding glass door and had to have keycard in wall to keep it running. The 40in tv was very nice. The bathroom very small also. The bed was somewhat comfortable

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for mentioning our staff members' eagerness to help. They are here to help our guests have the most convenient and relaxing stay possible. Our City View Queen room which you stayed in is the coziest room that we have on property. If you decide to return to Hawaii, I would recommend a standard size room which comes with either one King bed or Two Double beds. These rooms are significantly larger in size and suggested for longer stays.

Thank you again.

Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

After a short walk around Waikiki you will quickly realize that most hotels (except the expensive beach side ones) are run down and in dire need of facelifts from their 30 years or so of wear and tear. The Coconut might be on the upper part of the price range of the budget hotels in Waikiki – but already at the reception you'll understand why: it feels, looks and smells much more modern than most hotels in Waikiki. The rooms are fresh, the service is great and the location is good. Big flat-screen tv is not something you would hopefully need a lot in Hawaii – but it is a great example of how modern this hotel feels.

Do keep an eye on the big gorilla in the lobby – I swear he keeps moving every day. And while you're down in the lobby looking for the gorilla do feel free to try their delicious cucumber water or grab a coconut m&m from their free automatic m&m dispenser.

Cons:
The air-condition is extremely loud – we simply had to sleep without it in the end.

Inside tip:
Down the street from Hard Rock Cafe on the way to the beach you'll find a 7/11 – food there is excellent and the prices are generally half of any of the other grocery stores in Hawaii.

Room Tip: make SURE to get a room with canal view – the option is to have a room with view straight into anoth...
Aloha,

Thank you for your review. Our hotel was completely renovated 5 years ago with a colorful art-deco theme to achieve a Southbeach feel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our modernized theme of our hotel and the up-to-date amenities that we have to offer. Thank you again.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

For future travellers, try not to stay in a room facing the canal!

I'm giving Coconut Waikiki 3 stars instead of four, even though I think this is a good little hotel. The reason for 3 stars is: the room we stayed in (#905) had a few issues that kept us from getting a good night sleep. Firstly, the air conditioning unit was on its last legs. It didn't cool the room sufficiently, and so we just kept the lanai doors open. Unfortunately, our room faced the canal and it's VERY loud, 24 hrs a day. I live in a big city and am used to city noises, but the traffic, construction, and people yelling on the street at all hours kept us from a good night sleep the entire stay. I did use earplugs, but it didn't really help. I'm one of those people that is very sensitive to noise, so a quiet room is top priority for me.

The construction and the street noise isn't the hotels fault, and I should have asked for a room with a better A/C.
That said, the staff is super friendly and efficient. The hotel is in a great location, close to all major bus routes, and since its not on the beach, it's a bit cheaper than other hotels. Our room was clean and the decor was nice.
I would stay again, but only in a room that is not facing the canal.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 905, or any room facing the canal. It's VERY VERY loud.
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for mentioning our friendly and efficient staff members. I am happy to hear that they were able to assist you throughout your stay. Being that our hotel is located off the beaten path, we are able to offer competitive rates and provide various complimentary amenities for our guests.

I am sorry to hear that your room was a bit noisy for your preference. If you return to stay with us again, I would recommend booking a city view double double room which would be situated in the back corner of the hotel. These rooms are significantly quieter than the mountain view rooms due to it being set back from the main street.

Thank you again for your review.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I had a blast here! My friend and I stayed here for 10 days and the customer service was amazing. Great and very helpful. Definitely recommend anyone to stay here. Hotel had great features that many other luxury hotels didn't have.
Location was easy and accessible to everywhere as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Aloha,

I am thrilled to hear that you had a amazing time on Oahu while staying here with us at the Coconut Waikiki Hotel. I am happy and proud to hear that our staff was able to assist you with all of your needs. While on vacation, who better to get the insider secrets on things to do than through the people who live here. Thank you for your time and for your future recommendations.

Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Coconut Waikiki - the staff were always super friendly and happy to help us with any questions we had. Great additions were complimentary beach towels and wifi - this was a great touch as we were thousands of miles from home and it made it so much easier/cheaper to contact our families. Our room was really clean and bright, however the air conditioning unit was very close to my bed and so it was virtually ineffective - it also gave out a bit of a funny smell at times. One other point was that we went to the outlet mall, and the concierge gave us the times of when we could catch the bus from the Sheraton hotel. When we arrived there to get the bus, the concierge there advised that the timetable had been changed a couple of weeks ago and we had missed the last bus there. We then had to walk across town to catch an alternative bus. Although there were a few little hiccups with regards to information, I would definitely recommend this hotel. It has a great view over the canal, and is also quite close to the shops and restaurants, and not too far from the beach too.

Thank you for a lovely time!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your kind words. I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that our staff was able to assist you in all of your questions. I am sorry to hear about the mix-up in the outlet shuttle times. Sometimes, some shuttle companies may decline to update their information which in turn affects many. However, I am glad that you were able to find an alternate means of transportation and head out there for your day of shopping! Thank you again.

Daniel Floren

Been to Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!