“Excellent Staff, location” 5 of 5 stars

Book Direct and Save 25%
Ranked #18 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
“Excellent Staff, location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Coconut this past July and were very pleased. Initially we wanted to be on the beach but after a couple days had passed we were glad we made the choice because it was much less chaotic than had we opted for an oceanfront hotel. I think the central location is great but what really sets this hotel apart is the quality of the staff! From the welcoming arrival to our last day the staff were all genuine and actually called is by name and remembered what we had planned for the day and asked us about it later. You don't get that at large hotels! All in all I would certainly recommend this hotel for those wanting a relaxed vacation without feeling "packed" into a large hotel with hundreds of other tourists.

• Stayed July 2013
Coconut W, Front Office Manager at Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Aloha,

I am delighted to hear that you had wonderful stay with us here at the Coconut Waikiki! Being that we are a boutique hotel, it gives us that great opportunity to provide personalized service for our guests. We like to welcome our guests with Aloha and treat them like our Ohana! Thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you again.

1,458 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed here after fllying for 24 hours to get to Hawaii. I pulled up in the car and the valet waved me in and then disappeared. After asking the receptionist what was the story with the valet parking I was told they were full and I would have to park the car myself I was given a map which may as well have been drawn by a three year old and told vaguely where to park. Of course I couldn't find anywhere for about an hour and had to walk back. Staff basically didn't care. Room was ok but air con was on floor covered by a bed and a curtain. Not much use. I was a bit disappointed really

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Aloha,

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry to hear that we were not able to provide you with valet parking upon your arrival. Summer tends to be a very busy time here in Waikiki and occasionally, there are times where our garage may be come full. I understand your frustration and apologize for your inconvenience.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our family of four stayed for 3 nights in July in a mountain view room on one of the higher floors. The room was clean and well appointed. The room had a mini fridge, coffee making facilities, kitchen sink and a microwave - handy for preparing a light breakfast in the mornings. The location of Coconut Waikiki Hotel was great - within easy walking distance to the beach, shops and restaurants. There was a sensational Korean restaurant on the main drag - you'll know it, it's the one with the massive queue early evening!

The staff were friendly and helpful. We were offered a welcome drink on our arrival. Later, the staff offered us beach towels to use at the beach.

Negatives
The airconditioning unit in the corner of the room was very noisy and it didn't seem to work properly. The only person who got any benefit from the aircon was our family member who was sleeping right next to it. It was warmer in the room than outside, even with the aircon on!

Also, there were no wine glasses and no corkscrew in the room. I wandered down to reception to borrow a corkscrew and had to return it. It seems there is only one corkscrew in the whole hotel! I did notice a middle-aged couple wandering around the corridor drinking wine from wine glasses, I presume they must have borrowed them from reception.

Come on guys get your act together!

Room Tip: Bring earplugs and a corkscrew!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aloha,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to accommodate you and your family during your vacation here on Oahu. Our hotel offers many free perks and I am glad that you were able to utilize them throughout your stay. Having a fresh beach towel daily can be quite convenient when on an island surrounded by beautiful beaches!

I am sorry to hear that you found the air conditioning was not working properly. I will be passing on this information to our maintenance department so that they can follow up and ensure our units are working properly to assure guest's comfort.

I will also pass on your comments about the wine glasses and corkscrews to our housekeeping department so that they can create ways to increase convenience to our wine enthusiasts. Thank you so much for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This hotel is great in many ways! One would be the location, this hotel sits just one block from the main drag of shops and restaurants and made it very easy to get around without a car. The second great thing about this hotel is the cleanness of the rooms! Being our first time staying at a Jole de Vivre Hotel we were unsure of what to expect, but were very pleasantly surprised.

Out of all the staff we encountered their are two that stand out the most and they are the marvelous lady that checked us in, who had a smile on her face the whole time while checking us in which was refreshing after being on a plane for 6 hours. Also, the overnight gentleman who always answered the phone in one ring and was so knowledge about restaurants. Unfortunately, overnight staff never gets recognized due to the fact not many people see them, so we were glad to have had his help while at the hotel. One more thing just ask the front desk for help when putting together car rentals and restaurants they are on point.

All in all this is a great place to stay and will be back!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water are the best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Coconut W, Front Office Manager at Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy that you decided to give Joie de Vivre a chance and delighted that we were able to fulfill your expectations. Thank you for mentioning our smiley front desk host and our efficient night auditor. All of our staff members are extremely knowledgeable about the island and eager to share their personal favorites with our guests. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again!

Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Finding the "right accommodations" for a family reunion of 17 people--nine adults and eight children (ages 5 to 17)--at an affordable price (for us) in Waikiki is a severe challenge. I spent hours reading reviews on the internet, reviewing hotel websites, going over the map and making comparisons. We did not want a condo because we wanted hotel services and we wanted a place that served a "free breakfast." We wanted a hotel convenient to the beach.

I finally decided on the Coconut Waikiki, which is on the canal, about a 15 minute walk from the beach. Walking south on Lewers St. you come to the east end of Ft. DeRussy Beach, at a point to the east of which is the washed out Gray's Beach. From there you can walk to the west along Ft. DeRussy Beach or take the walkway past the washed out Gray's Beach to the Royal-Moana Beach to the east. The Coconut Waikiki Hotel is small--10 floors (plus the penthouse), only 80 rooms.

To accommodate our group we took the 11th floor penthouse, two jr. ex. suites and 1 dbl-dbl room. The penthouse turned out to be the "best thing" I did on the trip and is a "real deal"--about the price of two jr. ex. suites. It has two bedrooms--the master has a king bed and very large and attractively decorated bath and the second bedroom has a queen bed. The second very large bath--also attractively decorated--is off the hall and has a washer-dryer. The beds are very, very comfortable--maybe not hard enough for someone with back problems--and the linens are very high quality.

In the sitting area there is seating for six people, including a queen sleep sofa.The dining area has a table that can be expanded to seat 10 people. The kitchen has a large amount of counter space, is fully equipped with full-size stove, micro-wave and large fridge with side freezer. The outside rooftop lani has a table and six chairs. The AC is excellent.

The penthouse is not luxurious but it is attractively decorated, is quite spacious and commodious and has a GREAT panoramic view of the Ko'olau Mountains and to the northwest, downtown HNL. I still miss sitting on the lani watching the sun rise over the mountains and sipping my cup of tea.

The penthouse is where the family gathered for breakfast, for several pizza and Chinese take-out dinners--just a lot of family interaction that we would not otherwise have had had we not had the penthouse. (RE: breakfast--when I made the reservations, the hotel served a "free breakfast" and I was quite upset when we arrived to learn that it had been discontinued on June 1.However, the hotel graciously "compted" me parking for three vehicles in place of the breakfast that had been available when I made the reservations in the winter. It was a bit of extra trouble to have to make a couple of trips to Safeway and Costco for breakfast food, but having breakfast together every morning was great "family time.") Unfortunately the penthouse is not disabilities accessible. You take the elevator to the 10th floor and walk a set of stairs to the rooftop.

The staff at Coconut Waikiki are just outstanding--very cheerful and helpful. The valet parking staff are truly AWESOME!!! The hotel motor entrance is quite narrow up a sharp incline--no place for parking and only space for a single file of vehicles. However, the valet parking staff were so nimble that there was never a problem getting into the driveway upon our return to the hotel and they were so quick that upon call for our vehicles, they almost immediately appeared.

The hotel has a beautiful stone patio around most of the building with extensive planters and pots. Unfortunately, some of the plant materials in the pots and planters need a little more TLC. The swimming pool is quite small--but to tell the truth, our family did not use it until the afternoon we checked out. The children got in while we were killing time before going to the airport. There did not appear to be much interest in our group in the pool when the beach was so close.

Overall--we highly recommend the Coconut Waikiki. Great value.

Room Tip: I believe the mountain view rooms are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aloha,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. It is great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. It is amazing that all 17 of you were able to visit Hawaii together and the Penthouse was a great choice to provide the chance to spend the most quality time together. The penthouse does have a beautiful view that can be enjoyed from the spacious lanai area and I am glad to hear that you were able to experience it.

Thank you for recognizing our staff members. Our valet are here to hustle for our guests and retrieve and park cars as quickly as possible. They really are experts at maneuvering the cars around our driveway.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel!

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Arrived at the hotel after a flight from Melbourne....2 couples early am...one of our rooms was available the other we had to wait til 3pm... Would give this hotel a higher rating if breakfast was included...and it was when I booked..but unfortunately it's not a Best Western anymore...Rooms are spotlessly cleaned everyday and the staff are very very friendly. Aircon is a bit noisy....and placed in a weird position which is right near the head of the bed...The room we had was a bit small...BUT....we were only in it to sleep.....Nice big TV though....We ate 2 nights at Vits Hawaiin Steak House (walking distance)... which had great steaks at a reasonable price....NOT TO MENTION the HUGE tankard of beer they have!!!
Location is back away from the main drag....which makes it a bit more quiet I would think...
Overall our stay was good....I would stay here again but perhaps in a bigger room which would over come the couple of minor complaints I have...

Room Tip: Get a larger room....any other room than one ending in a "2" would be good, I think.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that our staff was able to accommodate one of your rooms with an early check-in so that you could relax after the long flight here. The City View Queen room is on the smaller size and we normally recommend it for short stays. If you return to Hawaii and stay with us again, I would definitely recommend a King room or maybe even an Executive Suite. Our Executive Suites are quite spacious with a sitting area and 1.5 bathrooms. Please feel free to contact us at anytime. Thank you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

+ friendly staff
+ well situated (10' to the beach)
+ good equipped room
+ very early check in was no issue
+ good wifi in our room

what could be improved (very details):
we do not know, was okay for the price paid. maybe it's not the newest spot but still proper!

our conclusion: recommended

• Stayed July 2013
Coconut W, Front Office Manager at Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you very much for your review. I am happy to hear that our staff was able to accommodate you with an early check-in because the faster you get settled in, the faster you can start relaxing and enjoying the beauty of Oahu! Thank you again for your review and recommendations, it is greatly appreciated.

Daniel Floren

Been to Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!