I stayed four nights at the Coconut Waikiki Hotel from April 18 to 22, 2013. Located at the corner of Lewers Street and Ala Wai Boulevard (approximately five easy to walk blocks from Waikiki Beach), I found the Coconut Waikiki Hotel to be a pleasant surprise.
My room was a 5th floor “Mountain View King”. It was a corner room, facing the Ala Wai Canal. With tax and the $26 per day parking fee, the total cost was $702.00 for four nights (without parking, my average nightly cost was $147.50, all tax in). Although small, my room was clean. The King sized bed was very comfortable, the linens and towels of noticeable quality, and the 40 inch flat screen tv appreciated. The room included a microwave oven and small fridge. The lanai (balcony) was extremely small (with two chairs), as was the washroom that featured only a shower (sorry gals, no tub here). There was plenty of road noise from busy Ali Wai Boulevard that fronts the hotel, which I drowned out by leaving the loud 1970s vintage air conditioner on at all times. One can tell that the hotel has been recently “refreshed”, no doubt as a result of the Joie de Vivre (“Joy of Life”) hotel chain taking over management of the property.
1. Inexpensive by Waikiki standards if you get a Joie de Vivre “special rate”.
2. Small but comfortable rooms in an older property that has been recently “refreshed”.
3. Walking distance to everything Waikiki has to offer. You do not need a rental car, but if you do get a rental car for excursions outside of Waikiki, parking at the Coconut Waikiki is “valet only” at a cost of $26 per 24-hour period, plus tips. There is no free street parking near the hotel.
4. Friendly, young, front desk and valet staff.
5. Free in-room Wi-Fi internet, as well as four computers (with internet connectivity) in the front lobby area for use by guests.
6. Basic breakfast included in room rate.
7. Large, modern, flat screen televisions, with plenty of channels to watch (if one is inclined to watch tv while on vacation in Hawaii).
8. Neighborhood appeared safe.
1. Tiny pool on the south side of the property, about the size of a hot tub at most resorts. I dare say you cannot call it a swimming pool - too small to swim in. Kids will not notice, but not an adult oriented or sun tanning pool.
2. There was plenty of road noise from busy Ali Wai Boulevard that fronts the hotel. Room windows and glass balcony doors need to be replaced with modern, thick, noise blocking glass.
3. The ancient 1970s era in-room air conditioners need to be replaced with quiet, modern, energy efficient, air conditioners.
4. Lack of a proper swimming pool for lounging and sun tanning.
5. No bar or restaurant on site.
Overall, I give the Coconut Waikiki Hotel two-thumbs up and a score of 7 out of 10. I definitely will stay at the Coconut Waikiki Hotel again, especially if staying on Waikiki Beach is not a priority.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Coconut Waikiki Hotel is a refreshing blend of high-tech and mod design, our colorful Art Deco hotel offers a peaceful and playful vibe one block from shopping and only three block from Waikiki Beach. The hotel features a delightfully hip lobby and the following complimentary amenities: WiFi access in-room and throughout hotel, daily local newspaper, local & toll-free calls, 40" or 42" LCD TV's, wet bar, mini-refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker and safe. A small, intimate pool area with wrap around deck and fitness center are available to all guests. Free continental breakfast is available for all guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, EasyToBook, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Honolulu
- Best Western Coconut Waikiki
- Aqua Coconut Plaza
- Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie De Vivre Hotel Hawaii/Honolulu