On its website the hotel looked clean and had relatively positive reviews on TripAdvisor . I didn't have high expectation due to some negative feedback shared by fellow travelers and the manager’s subsequent lukewarm and defensive comments. I should have paid more attention to the lack of care in the hotel’s responses. I hope the other travellers reading this review would think twice when booking this hotel.
I stayed here for 5 nights. After the first night, I had to change to another room as the noise level of the mountain view room was unbearable. It was like sleeping on the street, absolutely no sound insulation. I was then given a City view room that which was a level lower than my original Mountain view room. Judging from the stained carpet and unsightly view of the neighboring building, it was obvious that I was downgraded. What struck me though was that there was absolutely no apology and sympathy offered by the hotel staff. When I then approached the manager with a refund request (for the difference between two types of rooms), I experienced the same very non- committal response that fellow travelers describe in previous reviews. Apparently the hotel could not do anything about it. Since it was “my” choice to move to another room in order to get a decent night’s sleep, it was not the hotel’s fault. The difference in price was at around $70 and I was fine not getting any refund. It is small money. What bothered me though was their very uncaring attitude towards their guests’ satisfaction level. They couldn’t care less.
I read the manger’s response to ‘sheets not changed’ in a previous review below. It was explained away by invoking the popular “effort to be environmentally sustainable”. I find that odd because practically everything on offer at breakfast was plastic and every plate and cup went straight to the garbage bin at the breakfast tables. I saw very little effort made for sustainability around the hotel.
There are problems in running any business but a caring business with integrity should be a lot more proactive and genuine when addressing their customers’ concerns. I’m afraid this hotel does not excel in the “care” category.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Coconut Waikiki Hotel is a refreshing blend of high-tech and mod design, our colorful Art Deco hotel offers a peaceful and playful vibe one block from shopping and only three block from Waikiki Beach. The hotel features a delightfully hip lobby and the following complimentary amenities: WiFi access in-room and throughout hotel, daily local newspaper, local & toll-free calls, 40" or 42" LCD TV's, wet bar, mini-refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker and safe. A small, intimate pool area with wrap around deck and fitness center are available to all guests. Free continental breakfast is available for all guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Honolulu
- Best Western Coconut Waikiki
- Aqua Coconut Plaza
- Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie De Vivre Hotel Hawaii/Honolulu