“Lacks quality and most of all, care” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book direct, get 20% off
Ranked #16 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Vancouver
“Lacks quality and most of all, care”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

On its website the hotel looked clean and had relatively positive reviews on TripAdvisor . I didn't have high expectation due to some negative feedback shared by fellow travelers and the manager’s subsequent lukewarm and defensive comments. I should have paid more attention to the lack of care in the hotel’s responses. I hope the other travellers reading this review would think twice when booking this hotel.

I stayed here for 5 nights. After the first night, I had to change to another room as the noise level of the mountain view room was unbearable. It was like sleeping on the street, absolutely no sound insulation. I was then given a City view room that which was a level lower than my original Mountain view room. Judging from the stained carpet and unsightly view of the neighboring building, it was obvious that I was downgraded. What struck me though was that there was absolutely no apology and sympathy offered by the hotel staff. When I then approached the manager with a refund request (for the difference between two types of rooms), I experienced the same very non- committal response that fellow travelers describe in previous reviews. Apparently the hotel could not do anything about it. Since it was “my” choice to move to another room in order to get a decent night’s sleep, it was not the hotel’s fault. The difference in price was at around $70 and I was fine not getting any refund. It is small money. What bothered me though was their very uncaring attitude towards their guests’ satisfaction level. They couldn’t care less.

I read the manger’s response to ‘sheets not changed’ in a previous review below. It was explained away by invoking the popular “effort to be environmentally sustainable”. I find that odd because practically everything on offer at breakfast was plastic and every plate and cup went straight to the garbage bin at the breakfast tables. I saw very little effort made for sustainability around the hotel.

There are problems in running any business but a caring business with integrity should be a lot more proactive and genuine when addressing their customers’ concerns. I’m afraid this hotel does not excel in the “care” category.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Coconut W, Manager at Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Aloha Hawk-Linda,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is most unfortunate to hear you did not experience the high level of service we are known for.

Due to our location and the nature of Waikiki, noise is unavoidable. Everyone's experience with noise differs due to what they experience at home. It's unfortunate that it was louder than what you are used to. I am happy to hear we were able to accomodate your request to move to a quieter room. There are many factors to take into account when it comes to refunding a reservation. If you'd like to give us a call we can discuss the nature of your reservation and how it was booked.

Our hotel is making positive changes to assist with the environment. We do not use plastic dishes and silverware at breakfast. We use reusable plates, bowls, and silverware every day. I apologize if you thought our dishes were disposable, but guests do not throw them away. When guests are finished we have a dish bin provided so that we may wash them. The only disposables are the cups but we do provide glass and ceramic cups in each guest room. We use paper cups instead of foam to assist with our goal in saving the environment. I hope this helps to clear up any confusion about our environmentally friendly sheet change program.

We truly care about our guests and their experience. It is unfortunate that these issues overshadowed the service we are known for. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

Mahalo,
Larissa Canida
Executive Housekeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Richmond, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

When we stayed there, it was still Best Western Plus but I think they are under new management now. Room and everything still looks the same.

We booked a Queen room but when we checked in it wasn't available so they gave us a 2 Double room. The rooms were renovated recently but I have to say it was just not the right colours for me. The bathroom was small but it wasn't bad.

Location was okay, an easy walk takes you up to the main street. Waikiki beach is a little bit further down the street (maybe a 10min walk), but there are tonnes to see along the way.

The pool is so tiny its more like a big tub which is pretty ridiculous.

Its an okay hotel, okay price, okay location, okay breakfast; just no "wow" factor.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Coconut W, Manager at Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Oli0612,

A very warm greeting from the entire team of the Coconut Waikiki Hotel!! We thank you for providing us your feedback in-regards to your recent stay here with us. While we never want to hear that someone’s stay is less than perfect, we always appreciate the opportunity to hear from our guests on what we can do to improve our services.

We sincerely apologize for not providing you with a room with a queen bed as you had originally requested and not being able to accommodate you with the most comfortable sleeping experience while you were in residence with us. It is unacceptable to me that we were unable to meet your expectations of a larger pool so that we could have played an intricate role in making your stay in Hawaii a fabulous one. I can assure you that the experiences you encountered are not normal for our hotel; we pride ourselves on providing the utmost in guest services as well as a quality experience.

I am glad that you did enjoy the tons of things to see along the way to beach and that you had a great time vacationing in Hawaii. Oli0612, once again my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that we were not able to exceed your expectations and we hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Many Thanks,

Bali, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We weren't rested at all because of the outside noise that started around 6 o'clock in the morning causing by air brakes, trucks, cleaning streets activities, garbage and recycle pick ups. The hotel is located on Lewers str and Ala Wai blvd which is not good because Ala Wai blvd is busy almost 24 hrs long. Breakfast was ok thought.

Taking into consideration the specific hawaiian windows you won't be able to block the noise coming from outside so it is better to choose the hotel in a more quiet area. or camping :) (which actually we enjoyed much more that being an the hotel) check out the place on the north shore - Malaekahala state park, close to beautiful north shore beaches like WaiMai Beach, sunset beach and Turtle Bay. But you are gonna need a car. it takes about 40-50 min to get there from DT but it worth it. take H3 HWY - spectacular and breathtaking.

hope it will help :)

Room Tip: it does not matter which room you take. the noise are gonna keep you awake
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Coconut W, Manager at Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Aloha AnnaArtist,

We have noted your recent comments on Trip Advisor and we are obviously disappointed that there were aspects of your vacation that did not meet your expectations! We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us and that the Coconut Waikiki Hotel did not meet your expectations. We have challenges with noise traveling through the windows and we understand that is a concern so I will address this with my management staff to ensure we can some way remedy this unfortunate issue. We really do appreciate you taking time to give us constructive feedback so we know how our guests are feeling while they are in residence with us. It is great to hear that you were able to find some really cool spots to relax and see on Oahu. Nevertheless we are sorry that you did not enjoy your vacation at the Seaside Waikiki Hotel! and please feel free to contact me should you need to discuss your experience personally.

Kindness regards,

Victoria,BC CANADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel is on the canal. The rooms in the rear are quiet while the rooms in the front have great views. We stayed for 2 days before a cruise in the former and for 2 days after a cruise in the latter. We perfer the views and just wore ear plugs. Best thing about this hotel is you are out of the crazy beachfront but within 10-minute walking distance of it. Also, breakfast and free internet make it more welcoming. Each room has a kitchenette which help keep costs down for snacks, drinks etc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Coconut W, Manager at Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Aloha Franklin06,

Sunny greetings from the entire team of Coconut Waikiki Hotel! We thank you for choosing to stay with us before and after your cruise. We sure hope that you enjoyed your cruise of the Hawaiian Islands.

It is great to hear that your stay was a good one. Indeed we are glad that you found our location and amenities accommodating. We are always thankful to receive constructive feedback on how their experience while here at Coconut Waikiki went.

The entire team of the Coconut Waikiki is looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Phuket
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel, with a great continental breakfeast, you can even make your own waffles, which I have not seen before.
Free coffee, pineapple tea and cucumber water available throughout the day.
Room was good with a queen size bed, nice kitchenette if you wanted to microwave or make a coffee.
Only negatives I could think of the wifi was slow at some points, but they did have free computers in the lobby which worked quickly.
Free towels for beach use and they did have a pool we did not use. It always seemed to be windy around the hotel due to the canal, but as soon as you walked to the beach it was hot and calm.

Would reccomend the hotel

• Stayed December 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed here for five nights for Thanksgiving 2012. The hotel is clean and the hotel staff was helpful and friendly. The breakfast area is right in the lobby and was kept clean throughout the morning. Their is a sign in the breakfast area that says something like "All food must be consumed in the breakfast area", which made me feel like I was going to get in trouble for taking breakfast up to my room each morning.

Each floor has 10 rooms and the hotel has 10 floors. The _05 rooms have a view over the canal. From the hotel floor plan, it looks like the _08 rooms are the largest. There are steps from the 10th floor that go to the penthouse, which I didn't see bookable online.

The location is about as far away as you can get from the beach within Waikiki, but that also means it's away from the crowds. It's a short walk to the beach and several restaurants. We will definitely consider this hotel for our next (8th) trip to Waikiki.

Room Tip: There is a shuttle service in the hotel just down the street (towards the beach) that offered a ride...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Coconut Waikiki Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!