“Nice location in Waikiki” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now and Save 10%!
Ranked #49 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
San Francisco, California
“Nice location in Waikiki”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

We just returned from spending 7 days at the Aqua Aloha Surf and Spa. This is our second stay at the hotel because we like the location and staff there. This hotel is located on the canal side of Waikiki, which means that it's less noisy and busy than being on the main street. The amenities are nice....breakfast, newspapers and Wi-Fi in the lower lobby. Our room was very basic....a view of the condominium complex next door, but it was fine because we didn't spend much time in the hotel. An air conditioner is a necessity on Waikiki; ours kept tripping the circuit breaker but we were able to get it going by resetting it. My only complaint is the $20 per day to park your rental car. We did not know of this fee and were informed by their staff that "all the hotels charge a fee" to park on their premises. This may be true but $20 seems exorbitant and this fee is not clearly stated on their web site. Unless you want to hunt around for street parking this is the only sensible alternative....expensive though it may be. If you plan to park in their underground garage, keep your vehicle small....it can get tough maneuvering in those tight spaces.

All in all.....this is a very nice hotel in an ideal part of Waikiki. On my next visit, I would consider staying there if I couldn't find a place to park less expensively.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Aloha "colt411".
Mahalo for returning to stay with us again at the Aloha Surf. We certainly appreciate your loyal patronage.
Thank you for sharing your feedback here on Trip Advisor. This is a great way to find out the scoop on hotels.
I apologize for the price of parking. $20.00 per day is a lot of money. Parking in Waikiki is very limited and is therefore available at a premium.
Aloha,

1,175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Korean first
mission viejo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

This hotel was just perfect for our trip it was a really great value. We had reserved the least expensive room available and we were pleasantly surprised. We had a kitchenette balcony and the bed was super comfy. We were on the 7th floor facing the main street and with the door closed we didn't hear much noise. The air conditioner in our room worked wonderfully and kept us cool. We were in walking distance of all the big attractions in Waikiki. We had free internet in our room which was super helpful. Everything was clean and the staff were all very nice and helpful except one lady at the front desk. We had a really good time at the managers reception and the drinks were really good.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
Aloha "goatgoat",
Mahalo for staying with us at the Aqua Aloha Surf & Spa. I am glad we were able to contribute to a great vacation experience for you.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review here on trip advisor.
We certainly try to provide true value for our guests and create some great memories in a fun environment. I am glad you enjoyed the Manager's reception. I am very proud of the "Wipe Out Cocktails" that I make every week.
We hope to see you again soon.
Take Care,

Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

I have been coming to Hawaii since 1978 but in the last year I have made 4 trips
to the Islands and have stayed at 5 hotels and hands down Aqua Aloha is the BEST!!!

From the moment you enter the lobby you are made to feel welcomed and in no time at all you feel very much at home and I can honestly say in all my trips I have never felt that way.

Check in was quick and friendly and unfortunately I didn't get the name of the gentleman
but he took the time to tell me what the hotel offered and where to find everything.
Check out was just as quick and friendly, there was not waiting time as people have mentioned, everything was quick and effiecient.

Upon reading some of the reviews I was unsure of what the rooms or location would be like but I can say everything was perfect. The room was large and very clean and the location was great. Close to the beach and activities but far enough away (about a 5 minute walk) from the beach and the main strip Kalakaua which I have stayed on many times and can be extremely noisy and crowed. And the beds they are so-o-o comfortable
that some mornings were hard to get up.

The extra touches in the room made it feel very homey, a couch and coffee table elimating the need to always sit on the bed to watch TV, The microwave, fridge and dishes allowed you to eat in or have snacks when wanted and helped the budget

The breakfast was great and I don't understand how people say it gets boring because unless you eat everything offered everyday there are at least four days of variety and I can tell you breakfast included in a hotel in Waikiki is extemely rare and if it is, it''s normally
coffee and pastries not the variety offered here.

The Tuesday night Managers reception is a great place to meet other guests at the hotel
and is a very enjoyable hour with music and the Wipeout is fantastic

Last but definitely not least the staff, from the front desk to housekeeping and anyone else you meet during the stay are the nicest, friendliest and most helpful group of people you will ever come across and I must send a Big Mahalo for making this my best
vacation yet and I can't wait to come back, Hopefully in March 2011

Aloha and Mahalo to All

Hope to see you soon

Judy

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Aloha "MontrealIslandGirl"
WOW! Mahalo Nui Loa for the fabulous review. I definitely agree with everything you said! Our hotel is like a Home away from Home for many of our guests. That is the feeling we are working to create. This is our "Home" and we are welcoming you here to stay with us. We want you to enjoy your time here with us. Since we are a small property compared to the beach front properties that average 900 rooms, we have the opportunity to interact with our guests in a more layed back and unhurried way. The way it should be. In a big hotel, you have 1600 guests in house at one time. It is hard to spend quality time with them.
I am glad you enjoyed the new bed. it is great. I have said it before, it is so good, I bought one for my house. I love it!
Take care and we look forward to welcoming you back to your "Home away from Home".
Aloha,
Tim Calrk, Hotel Manager
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

I stayed at the Aloha Surf for 10 nights. When I checked in they upgraded our room which was a nice surprise. I booked through the hotel website this summer to take advantage of their promotion at the time, of having every 5th night free.

The room was a nice size, it looked like their pictures. There was a couch, coffee table, large bed (which I will add was extremly comfortable). There was a small kitchen area with a fridge and microwave, the bathroom was on the small side, a very small shower, but the water was hot and the pressure was great.

the continental breakfast was great....pancakes, oatmeal, toast, and various store bought pastries. There was always fresh fruit, tea/coffee and iced tea. I will say though, after a few days, you get tired of it, would be nice to have some variety. I wont complain though, as its rare to find a hotel that has a complimentary breakfast.

There was also free wifi, which is a great find as well. I didn't find the rooms noisy at all. I stayed on the side that faced the apartments, that may of been why. There is likely no nice view at this hotel, unless you're on the top 2 floors. But that wasn't important to me.

The rooms appeared very clean, I saw no bugs at all through my stay, and the housekeeping is extremely friendly. However, on our 8th night, we misplaced our safe key. On the hunt for the key, we looked under the kitchenette, surprised to see a broken beer bottle (not from me), and under the bed was the back of a panty liner (not mine).

The desk staff were nice, but a little blunt at times. They were very qick to mention charges when I requested things (parking, replacing the safe key, printing off an itenerary, local phone calls, etc.) . Parking is $20 a day, and I was upset to learn that to replace the safe key was a whopping $50.

The managers cocktail hous on tuesdays was great, the "wipeout" is delicious, the massages are great. I never visited the pool, it was quite small. And surprised there was no nice restaurant or souvenier shop. There is a little "cafe" open certain hours

I will definatly stay here again, simply because of the price, the free breakfast and wifi.

Aloha "kay_fitz",
Thank you for staying with us on your ten day visit to Waikiki. Thank you for posting your experience here on trip advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. The Beds certainly are comfortable. They are the newest, most comfortable beds in Waikiki. Only three months old! I am glad you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast.
I apologize for the cleanliness issues you experienced. I have met and shared them with my Executive Housekeeper. We will use your feedback in our ongoing effort to grow and improve.
Mahalo again and we hope to see you again soon.
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

On first impressions in a jet-lagged state I was disappointed with my choice of hotel - on arriving I did not find the reception staff particularly friendly or welcoming & found the room extremely noisy on the first night. However, this hotel & the staff really grew on me during my extended stay & I would stay there again. It offers incredible value for money, I paid about 80 US per night for a superior city view room but got upgraded to a deluxe pcv on the 14th floor which is apparently one of the quiter rooms. It was still very noisy as the windows aren't sealed as mentioned in previous reviews so they let in a lot of noise from the street & the other room's air conditioners (these were very noisy). However we learnt to wear ear plugs each night and got used to the noise after a few nights. For the price the location is quite good and close to the Kuhio ave bus stop, restaurants and International market place, the beach is a few blocks down & a 5 or so minute walk. The toilet/shower area in my room was clean but very old but I got used to that too & expected it for the price. The free internet connection, breakfast, coffee and fruit was great as was the manager's cocktail reception including chair massages and a ukulele player. Highly recommend this hotel if you don't plan on spending too much time in your room & want to free up your holiday money for shopping and other activities.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
Aloha "TravelBug048",
Mahalo for staying with us on your recent visit to Waikiki. I am glad that you had time to interact and get to know our staff. They do tend to grow on you. I feel you hit the nail on the head. We are not the Hale Kulani. But we don't cost $400.00 a night either. Our goal is to provide true value for our guests and work to create an exciting, fun, and memorable experience. With all of the amenities we offer, our guests do get value for their hard earned dollar. Our reasonable prices allow guests to spend their money getting out and enjoying their vacations.
We look forward to your next visit.
Mahalo and Aloha,
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

I can honestly say that the staff at this hotel has made my first trip to Hawaii memorable. Jasmine is super friendly and helpful. Whether providing me with a surf instructor or her impeccable ability to remember names, she makes me feel like VIP. Mark, between ensuring that the plumbing is perfect, suggests restaurants I have fallen in love with. Then there's Nolan. His kindness cannot be described and he is always quick to provide bus schedules. Kalei is awesome to talk to, Aimee's smile lights up my evening, and Keoni is super nice despite all the bags me and my friends made him deal with. If they weren't all this great, I wouldn't have remembered so many names. EVERYONE there is fantastic, regardless of whether I have mentioned them here. I can't wait to return! Oh, and thanks for all the apples!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Aloha "dchieu",
What a nice review. Thank you so much for the kind words about our team members. Jasmine, Mark, Nolan, Kalei, Aimee, and Keoni are all fantastic guest service professionals. They truly know how to care for their guests. What puts them over the top is that they really do genuinely care about our guests and want you to enjoy your time with us. This is what separates them from others. They are looking for opportunities to go above and beyond to help our guests create a fantastic, memorable experience in Hawaii. I am very proud and grateful to be part of their team.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

The Aqua Aloha Surf & Spa is a wonderful, smaller boutique hotel on a quiet residential street just two short blocks from the beach in bustling and noisy Waikiki. We absolutely loved the hotel. We stayed for one week in a one-bedroom suite with a gorgeous view of the mountains from the 16th floor.

The staff and service was excellent, and the hotel offered many amenities that larger chain hotels did not, including a daily complimentary continental breakfast (my dad loved the hotcakes and fresh pineapple), a manager's reception on Tuesday with complimentary cocktails & music, free beach towels check outs, free wired internet, and lovely body wash, shampoo & conditioner, and lotion (something most hotels cost-cut, but not at the Aloha Surf).

As for our suite: I loved the fact that bathroom was in the hallway between the living room and bedroom, which made sharing the space very convenient. The suites are quite large with huge balconies. The kitchenette area was stocked with all the essentials too: microwave, mini-fridge, coffee-maker, plates, bowels, silverware, kitchen towel etc. It was very convenient for making a quick mid-day snack.

My thanks to Tim, the manager and Nolan for making my parents' trip to Oahu so enjoyable. They had a wonderful time, and I would definitely return, hopefully, on a vacation of my own without the parental units!

• Stayed September 2010
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
Aloha "filomina",
I am so glad we were able to contribute to the wonderful experience you and your family had in Waikiki.
Thank you for your very positive and detailed comments about your experience here at the Aloha Surf. I will share your comments with Nolan. He took the day off today to go surfing.
We look forward to your next visit.
Mahalo Nui Loa
and Aloha!
Tim Clark, Hotel Mananger

Been to Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki? Share your experiences!