“Certainly Good Enough” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
San Diego
“Certainly Good Enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

First - my perspective...I'm a road warrior/business traveler, on the road 3-5 times a month. In the past 25 years I've stayed in absolutely the worst properties and the very best. I like to think I know hotels. The Aqua Aloha Surf & Spa is pretty darn good given that you could pay far more for a major chain hotel like the Hyatt or Hilton or Sheraton and get a room that looks like any other. This hotel is just fine for couples, families or business. If you want expensive luxury, pampering and a view of the ocean, this ain't it. If you want good value for money - this is it.

CHECK-IN: a guest had an "issue" when I arrived and desk staff - after saying they'd be with me - focused on that for about 5 mins. They apologized profusely when they did get to me; no problems after that with check-in. They were friendly and helpful and correctly advised against eating in the Asian fusion restaurant in the hotel (I did anyway and I regret it).

MY ROOM: I'd researched a lot of Waikiki properties in advance and booked directly with reservations staff at Aqua - the small Honolulu based chain of boutique hotels that owns the Aloha Surf & Spa. I requested a 1-bedroom suite with a view as high up in the hotel as possible, and that's exactly what I got. Top floor, north-west corner, with a large wrap-around balcony and lovely view of the mountains over the canal from living room window. I can see a tiny piece of the Pacific. Bottom-line: you will NOT get an ocean view at this property. The street noise up this high is not a problem.

Room Size: I don't know about the rest of the rooms, but this 1-bedroom with separate living room is big enough for me. I imagine a couple with two kids might be a bit squeezed since there's very little closet space. There's just a kitchenette, small microwave with turntable, sink, plates and cutlery and a fridge underneath sink. Apparently there are other rooms with a full kitchen.

TV's - yes, they are flat screens as advertised, but NO they are not wide-screens (they're 4:3) or HDTV's. They're also not very big. Reception is not great. But you aren't coming to Hawaii to watch TV are you? It's good enough.

OVERALL ROOM CONDITION/CLEANLINESS: appointments and furnishings aren't new, but they all match and they're in decent condition. I wouldn't say its the most clean room I've been in, but its not dirty at all, good enough. The ceilings are the old acoustical prickly stuff - they really should scrape it all off, they're weathered and stained. There are blackout curtains but because some of the curtain has pulled off the hook, they don't completely block all the light - its good enough. The bed is kinda tired and lumpy, but good enough if you're looking for a semi-firm bed as am I. No plush pillow-tops or sleep number beds here I'm afraid. There are different kinds of pillows on the bed - not just puffy, fat ones, which makes me happy, I like thin, firm pillows.

BATHROOM: my suite has a little dressing mirror and shelf outside of the bathroom, next to the closet. Bathroom itself has seen better days but its clean enough; shower only; good water pressure. The towels are decent and there's a lot of them. There's a safe in the closet; you take the key with you. Ironing board and iron are provided.

INTERNET: essential for me; they asked if I had a laptop and gave me the cable (CAT5) at the front desk. Room hookup is glued to dresser that TV sits on, which means the cable trails across the floor if you put your laptop on the coffee table in front of the couch: trip hazard. There's a table and chair by the door meant to be a desk, but I don't like staring at walls when I work. Internet connection is free and works just fine.

BREAKFAST: continental breakfast offered, includes pancakes, toast, and oatmeal, fresh fruit, coffee, etc. It's nothing special but its good enough. Served on paper plates with plastic utensils - they could do better there. Seating is a bit of a problem; everyone is all over the lobby trying to eat breakfast at the same time. Starts at 7am - I need it earlier, oh well.

PARKING: There's maybe 25 spots down there, but every time I come back from work there seems to be a spot or two open. Fingers crossed. Parking costs $20 a day; pricey but worth it.

MAID SERVICE: the person cleaning my room, Analiya, is doing fine. She makes the bed, tidies up and washes my dishes for me and sets them out to dry. I did notice when I first checked in that there was a little food from previous guest in fridge - she must have forgotten to check. No big deal; she's getting a nice tip.

SPA: I'm about to have a massage, I'm sure it will be fine. They've got a special on right now - 50 minutes for $65 including tip. Not bad. Lots of spas here are double that.

HOTEL RESTAURANT: CHINESE/ASIAN Fusion. They warned me at the front desk that it wasn't very good; it's not. There's a bar/internet cafe too; I'm sure its fine.

OVERALL - you could do a lot worse and spend a lot more; the Aloha Surf and Spa is certainly good enough!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
trax1983
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

When I arrived at the hotel to check in on thursday, April 23, 2009, I was helped by a man at the front desk. He told me that he would be checking me into a room on the 2nd floor. Since I booked a standard room 5 MONTHS before my arrival, I had called and requested if they could please put me in a standard room higher up to avoid the noise. The customer service rep. at the time told me they have 2-3 standard rooms from floors 3 and up. He said the 2nd floor has the most standard size rooms and that they could not guarantee me a room on a higher floor. I asked him I understood and if they could try their best to please accommodate me and my gf, who has a hard time sleeping if there were a lot of noise. I guess calling and booking 5 months early did not help. I tried to explain to him my situation and that I called 5 months earlier. The noise was definitely a problem and I was going to be staying there for a week. At this time, a woman, who I suspect to be the on duty supervisor or manager named SINA, walked over and interjected into our conversation. She started to have a defensive tone and raised her voice at me. She said that they do not guarantee anything and that they were fully booked for the night. However, I saw a vacancy sign lit up in the front of the hotel. I did not know why she had to give me a defensive tone when I was trying to tell them what I did and if there was any way I could get a room higher up. I did not argue with her and just kept my cool. I resented the fact that she have displayed really POOR customer service on the first day. I look young for my age and I believe she thought I did not know much. She practically ruined my first night and I was pretty upset. I had read numerous comment on the customer service at this hotel several months before my trip and a majority of the reviews gave it a good rating. This incident did not live up to that expectation at all!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would not return to this hotel again. If they pride themselves over customer service then at least have the decency to be respectful to me. This was my first trip to Hawaii and SINA made this hotel not a memorable experience for me and my gf.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
alohasurfWaikiki, Hotel Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this review, May 6, 2009
Aloha trax1983,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I am extremely disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations, but I value your comments. I am surprised that your customer service experience was less than desirable as we do pride ourselves in this area. We do our best to accommodate all of our guest needs and requests, but since we were close to sold out on the day of your arrival and only had moderate category rooms available on the 2nd and 3rd floor, we were unable to put you on a higher floor. I was able to look at your reservation and see that we were able to move you the very next day to the 14th floor.

Again, I apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay and appreciate your comments as it allows us the opportunity to address these issues appropriately.

Mahalo,
Courtnay Koski
Hotel Manager
Haleiwa, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

My husband and I live on the North Shore. Decided to go downtown for the night, so we booked this hotel on priceline as a 31/2 star room. When we arrived, there was no parking left on site, so they sent us to a sister hotel two blocks away. My husband went to park, with very little direction from the hotel staff. I went up to the room and could not believe my eyes. It was so small that the full bed was jammed up against the wall. There was no balcony and barely enough room for two people to pass anywhere in the room. The bathroom was small with a pedestal sink, no vanity and no where to put any thing. I called the front desk to try and change rooms and the said they were fully booked, only to go downstairs and see the vacancy sign lit up! Since we booked through priceline, which is non refundable, we did not make a big deal,since we were only staying one night. We did consider just driving home and not even using the room! Upon checking out, we were charged $20.00 for parking after being told the night before the parking was $18.00. They said the price went up in September 2008. Maybe they should inform the staff about the change! Bottom line.... AVOID this hotel unless you have no other options!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
alohasurfWaikiki, Hotel Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this review, May 7, 2009
Aloha northshore66,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at the Aqua Aloha Surf & Spa.

I sincerely apologize that the room and service fell short of your expectations. We do have parking available on property, but in the event the hotel is sold out or close to sold out, there is potential the parking lot will be full and in that case we provide our guests with the alternative option of parking at our sister property. All of our Guest Service Agents are aware that the parking charges are $20, so it is unusual that you were quoted $18. The room type you booked is the smallest category in the hotel and we wish we would have had the availability and opportunity to upgrade you to a room that would better suit your needs, but we only had the moderate category rooms available that night.

Again, I appreciate your comments and will take them into consideration as we look at ways to improve in these areas.

Mahalo,
Courtnay Koski
Hotel Manager
ckoski@aquaresorts.com
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

Enjoyed our week at this hotel, which I would recommend to anyone looking for clean, comfortable and reasonably priced accommodation close to Waikiki Beach, public transit, shops, restaurants and assorted activities/attractions.

Getting there:
If you’re arriving at Honolulu Airport’s main (i.e., not interisland) terminal, just take the elevator upstairs, exit the building, cross the street and catch the #19 or #20 city bus headed to Waikiki. The ride takes 45 minutes, and the bus drops you at the corner of Kuhio and Kanakapolei, a two-minute walk from the hotel. You’ll need exact fare of US $2 (bills or change), and your luggage must fit under your seat or on your lap; if not, the driver may not allow you on (we saw this happen). As a rough guide, if you can take your stuff on the plane as carry-on, you can take it on the bus, but play safe and check the website (www.thebus.org) for details about the size and number of items permitted. While you’re on the site, plug in your arrival date, time and hotel address to find out which buses coincide with your schedule.

Room and service:
We had booked a moderate room but were told on check-in that we were being upgraded at no cost to a deluxe room, a very nice gesture that was much appreciated as the room assigned was considerably larger than we would otherwise have had. Our room (#704) was at the back of the hotel (i.e., not overlooking Kanekapolei), so we heard virtually no traffic noise. In fact, other than the occasional early morning garbage pick-up, which you hear in any city anywhere, there was no disturbance of any kind – and most nights we slept with the windows and balcony door open rather than run the air conditioning.
The room had an Ethernet connection (we took our own cable, though I understand you can borrow one from the front desk), and the safe in the closet was big enough for our MacBook, digital cameras, wallets and other bits and pieces. There’s no fee, but don’t lose the key, or you’ll be charged $50 for a replacement. The room also had a small fridge and microwave, along with dinner plates, side plates, bowls, mugs and cutlery. There was a good selection of TV channels, but if you’d rather watch a movie and have a laptop, you can rent DVDs from Food Pantry for $1.
Breakfast, served from 7:00-8:30 a.m. sharp, was included in the hotel rate. It consisted of oatmeal porridge, pancakes, orange wedges and either pineapple slices or banana halves, bread/toast with cream cheese, small muffins, mini donuts and coffee. There was no milk for either the porridge or the coffee – just powdered creamer – and no jam, but you can easily pick up supplies at one of the nearby stores and keep it in your fridge. The lobby can be busy at breakfast, so if you can’t find seating, or if you just prefer to eat outdoors, head along the little corridor adjacent to the spa to a small outdoor seating area. We had it to ourselves almost every morning.

Eats and drinks around the corner:
You can stock up on picnic and/or meal supplies at stores located just moments from the hotel. The ABC Store on the corner of Kanekapolei and Kuhio has packaged sandwiches and deli stuff, frozen dinners, fresh fruit, yogurt, cold drinks (including beer and wine), ice cream, macadamia nuts, etc. There are ABCs everywhere – 37 in or near Waikiki – carrying pretty much the same stock. I went into the branch at 2456 Kalakaua (oceanfront) in search of an insulated lunch bag I’d seen on their website. Turned out it’s sold only by mail order, but they very kindly arranged to have it shipped (this involved someone from the store going and picking it up), and it was available for me to collect the following day. Talk about customer service!
The Food Pantry, Waikiki’s only real supermarket, is just around the corner from the hotel on Kuhio. It carries sushi (always fresh because it’s made on the premises, and the turnover is rapid), sandwiches and wraps, salads (green, pasta, roasted veggie, etc.), BBQ chickens, hot Asian dishes, packaged meals like chicken cutlets, meatloaf, salmon cakes (choice varies daily), beer, wine, spirits and baked goods. There’s also an in-store coffee shop and a Beard Papa’s serving light breakfasts, if you’d like a change from hotel fare.
Perry’s Smorgy Restaurant, again on the corner of Kanekapolei and Kuhio, serves buffet-style breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can eat indoors or take an outdoor table beside the waterfall in the little garden. We tried it for dinner and were impressed by the quality, variety and freshness of the food for just US $12. They don’t serve liquor, but you’re welcome to take your own beer or wine (no corkage charge, and they provide the bottle opener and glasses).

Things to do within walking distance of the hotel:
Waikiki Beach is just a few minutes away. Best time to go if you want to avoid the crowds is early morning. The water is also calmer, and you’re less likely to overdo the sun. You can check out beach towels at the front desk; ask the bell staff to sign them back in.
Diamond Head is a pleasant walk from the hotel, and you’ll be rewarded with good views of Waikiki and Honolulu. It takes 45-60 minutes at a leisurely pace to reach the park entrance, then another 45 minutes or so to the summit. Do your feet a favour and wear light hikers or sneakers. Guidebooks advise you to take a flashlight for the tunnels, but that information seems to be old; the tunnels are lit. The park closes at 6 p.m., so don’t start out too late or you may get locked in.
The aquarium and zoo, opposite each other, are about ten minutes from the hotel, and both are well worth a visit. We had planned to snorkel at Hanauma Bay on our last day, but the weather was poor, so we settled for the aquarium instead. You may not get to swim with the fish, but you will get good photos (mine are better than the ones I took while snorkelling during a previous vacation at Captain Cook on the Big Island). Across the street at the zoo, you can get quite close to a number of (non-dangerous) animals. We were told that late morning or lunchtime is the best time for viewing because that’s when most animals are fed; nonetheless, we saw the majority during a late afternoon visit.

Things to do by bus from the hotel:
About eight routes have stops on Kuhio near Kanekapolei. You can pick up timetables for many of them at the ABC Store on that corner. It is also the closest place to buy a pass for four consecutive days of unlimited travel on TheBus (US $20, cash only). Otherwise, have exact US $2 for each trip. Though most places are reachable by bus, some destinations that look nearby on the map take an extraordinarily long time to get to. Before you leave home, think about where you’d like to visit and use www.thebus.org to plan your route and estimate travel time. Also check the time of the last bus (some routes operate only during daylight hours). If you do get lost, drivers are helpful.
Pearl Harbor is easily reached by bus. Entrance to the offshore Arizona Monument is free. Prior to being shuttled over, you’ll see a movie about the attack on the fleet at Pearl Harbor. There are optional paid tours of the battleship Missouri and the submarine Bowfin. We visited the latter and found it intriguing.
The Hawai’i Maritime Centre at Pier 7 in Honolulu Harbor is a short ride from the hotel. Unfortunately, the replica of the double-hulled canoe that retraced the voyage of Polynesia’s ancient explorers using just celestial navigation is no longer located there, and the Falls of Clyde, the last remaining fully-rigged four-master, may be removed at any time for repairs, but there are still plenty of interesting exhibits. The nearby Aloha Tower gives views of the harbour and downtown.
The Bishop Museum, which operates the Maritime Centre, is another worthwhile destination you can get to by bus. The Hawai’ian Hall was closed when we visited, but even without it, there’s a lot to see, and docents give talks or demonstrations about various topics.
O’ahu has many lovely beaches that are on bus routes. Access Kailua Bay via the beach park, which has restrooms and showers. Most people turn right when they walk onto the beach. If you turn left, you’ll be further from the facilities, but you’ll also have the place almost to yourself, especially in the morning. The sand is very soft and the water crystal clear. There’s not much shade, so arrive early if you want to bag a spot under the trees. From Kailua, we took a bus to Sea Life Park and from there walked past Makapuu Beach Park and on up to the lighthouse at Makapuu Point (there’s no bus stop at the point). It takes about 45 minutes from the parking lot to the summit. Great views, and if you’re lucky, you may see humpback whales. (We didn’t, but others did.) On the way back to Waikiki, you could stop at Koko Crater and hike to its botanical garden (admission free, no facilities). Plan carefully, because depending on the bus route and direction (this area is on a circle route), travel from one spot to another can take longer than you might expect.
The north shore beaches are also accessible by bus. Some are more suitable for surfing than swimming. If you just want to give the area the once-over, take the circle bus route. You’ll see quite a bit of the island, though it will take maybe three hours or more.

Checking out:
Our flight was late at night, so we left our luggage with the bell staff after checking out. The front desk will arrange a shuttle to the airport if you wish, or you can take the bus.

If you’ve made it this far, my apologies for the length of the review. There are lots of other things to do and places to see in O’ahu, and the Aqua Aloha is a good base for your visit.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

Before beginning, I just want to mention that this is my first tripadvisor review, and therefore, I would like to make it as honest as possible. As such, I apologize in advance for its length.

So, where do I start with this amazing hotel??? Well, first off, I cannot go any further without complimenting the tremendous service that this hotel provided us during our stay! From the moment we checked in on the evening of April 6th, 2009 to the time we departed on the morning of April 13th, 2009, the staff at this hotel were always willing to help us out!

Before continuing with my review, I would just like to give a huge thank you to the hotel manager, Courtnay Koski. I had been in contact with her months before my visit as I was planning to propose to my then-girlfriend on Waikiki beach during our stay. Well, what can I say, Courtnay not only helped me organize the setup in my hotel room for my special night, I found out that she actually came in on a Saturday night at midnight and personally set up our room exactly how I described it to her. It was truly amazing, better than I could have ever imagined it! Better yet, she had offered a complimentary upgrade for our room to a Deluxe Partial City View room for the duration of our stay even though I had originally booked a room at the lowest price level (i.e. moderate city view). She also provided us with a complimentary bottle of wine and a box of Hawaiian chocolates in the room to celebrate our engagement. What more can someone ask for then this? It was a very special moment in our lives and Courtnay took care of everything no questions asked, and she also helped me stay within my budget given the current economic conditions and the high costs associated with the entire proposal process. She is definitely a hard-working professional who is willing to go the extra mile for her guests. But wait, that's not all! Courtnay had already had my room ready for us when we checked in and as soon as we entered the room, I found a hand-written personal message from Courtnay to welcome us! How many hotel managers do you know who would do this for their guests??? This is customer service at its best! Courtnay is truly dedicated to her job and it just goes to show how this type of extraordinary service can reflect on the rest of the staff at the Aloha Surf!

As for the rest of hotel amenities, they were great for the purposes of our trip! The complimentary reception in the lobby on Tuesday evening from 5-6pm was a great start to the evening as they were providing unlimited cocktails and 10-minute massages along with entertainment provided by the hotel staff and a grand prize raffle for a free 60-minute massage. The pool was small, but was not really important for us and there was also a nice tanning area around the pool that was great for relaxing! We didn't rent a car so I cannot comment on the parking situation there! The room was a perfect size for us with a sofa and king bed, but I would recommend going for the deluxe room with sofa as there wasn't a luggage rack in the room so the sofa came in handy for putting our luggage on! The bathroom was a bit small, but what do you expect for such a great value hotel! If you are like me, you would rather save the $100+ per night on your hotel room and use that extra $$$ for the rest of your trip (i.e. activities, restaurants, shopping, etc!)

We were first time visitors to Waikiki and this hotel location was still perfect for us! Not even a 5-minute walk to the beautiful waves of Pacific Ocean and central Waikiki beach, and easy access to Honolulu's bus system within a couple minutes walking distance! Best of all, this location gets you right in the heart of Waikiki beach where there is a nice concession area and easy access to public restrooms right on the beach!

I hope that this review is helpful and if you would like more specific information about the hotel before you visit, I would recommend contacting Courtnay, as she was more than willing to help me out with any questions I had! Also, please take a look at the pictures that I have included and feel free to contact me if you require any further tips/insight about this hotel and I will gladly try to help you out!

Orangevale, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

We just returned home from a very nice stay at Aloha Surf. The hotel room was clean and spacious with a kitchenette. We were on the 8th floor. It was very convenient to Food Pantry, which I think is the only major grocery store on Waikiki. It was also convenient to the bus transfer stop, and a pretty short walk to the beach. The complimentary breakfast included pancakes, muffins, toast, different fruits, juice, etc. It was a lot better than most free hotel breakfasts. My husband got a good massage in the hotel spa. We also used the free in-room computer hook up for our laptop. We would definitely stay there again.

Fremont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

It was my first trip to Hawaii. first they gave us an small very noisy room. we asked them to change our room and they did. very nice and cute room. every thing was wonderful except the parking area. we'd rented a car and there wasn't enough space for the cars. they served breakfast but there wasn't enough seats to eat the breakfast! but totally it was a comfortable hotel with great location.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki? Share your experiences!