“Clean, up-to-date” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 83 hotels in Honolulu
Kansas City, Missouri
“Clean, up-to-date”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Nice hotel located near the fishing piers. Clean, wifi in rooms is awesome and free. Wifi in the main areas - not so good which is a bit of a change from most hotels. The bed and the pillows were very comfortable. Housekeeping did a good job each day and they were friendly and pleasant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dave L, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for you comments. We will share them with our staff. Mahalo

1,177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
St Paul, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We did a lot of research in booking this hotel for our final Hawaii. night. Our departing flight was at 0700. We wanted shuttle service to and from airport with no hassle. It turned out to be just the opposite. No shuttle from airport unless purchased from outside carrier. Due to our early departure no shuttle in AM either. We had to take cab. I don't mind paying, if I know that is what I have to do, but don't include in your included options, when its not. The lobby is lovely. It is close to Ala Moana Mall, so lots of shopping. Trolley runs from mall around city, so easy for sight seeing.

The staff were not helpful at all. We had four bags, I had new broken arm, and not one bell person or staff member offered to help us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave L, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I'm sorry that you did nott receive the assistance that you needed and should expect from our bellstaff and I will certainly address this with them. Thanks for taking the time to bring this to my attention.Mahalo
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I "pricelined" this hotel (2 rooms) for my family for 2 nights while visiting Pearl Harbor. We were on our way to Maui after this. The hotel had some very unfriendly people working at the desk and the hotel was at best a convention hotel. The room(s) we were given were so far away from the elevator; plus finding which bank of elevators to take was a task unto itself. The rooms were very very small with practically no view; and my room's window was on top of the roof; I felt very insecure knowing someone can just walk on the roof and into my room. The up side of the hotel was that the garage to the mall was connected somehow to the hotel which made it easy to get to. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. In regards to the size of the room, you chose to book the lowest priced room category in our Kona Tower. Larger rooms are available at a higher nightly rate in our Waikiki Tower. Mahalo
Fayetteville, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I recently attended a conference held at this hotel; my husband and I had an ocean view room on the 31st floor . While it does not have immediate beach access, the view of the yacht harbor and Ala Moana Park is spectacular. It is convenient to the Ala Moana Center, which has anything anyone would want to buy from food to Cartier. Our room had a refrigerator and microwave so the Foodland grocery store was very convenient (there is also a market with some foods, spirits and excellent prices on souvenir items in the lobby between the main lobby and the Kona lobby).

Our room (two double beds) was quite spacious for two and spotless. The room was cleaned promptly each day. We loved the lanai and had coffee there each morning and drinks in the evening. We had booked our own tours over the internet prior to our visit, but there is a travel desk which can provide assistance. Most tours pick up at the Ala Moana just outside the Kona lobby.

I highly recommend the Ala Moana Hotel if being close to the beach is not important. We didn't have time to spend on the beach! Too much to see on our first trip to Hawaii!

Room Tip: Book an ocean view room in the Waikiki Tower. Excellent view and very nice lanai.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dave L, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to post your review. Mahalo
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This hotel was almost like a "no-brainer" choice for someone who is visiting Hawaii for the first time -- even the free ballpen given by Delta Air has the hotel name on it! They say this is the choice for airline crew to stay in.

When I came in with 2 very heavy luggage NO ONE HELPED ME.

The person at the front desk, seemed too unhappy or bored to actually try to find a room for me.

I went up to my room with no help from anyone.

The room was ok because it was clean, but it looked very dated.

The hotel has a bridge way that connects it to the Ala Moana Mall. It was raining when I got there... and when I walked from the hotel to the mall, the floors were way too slippery that of course, I slipped!!! It has been 2 weeks now and I still feel the pain on my knees. I hope they change the flooring they used -- the floor seems to be made of stone cladding made for walls and not floors!

The buffet breakfast did not have a lot of choices! It was very reminiscent of the FREE breakfast buffet in provincial hotels in the Philippines... definitely not worth $18!

Room Tip: Choose the upper floors for a better view. Ocean view rooms do not actually have an ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
I am sorry that our bellstaff did not provide the service that should have been delivered. We will review your comments with them at our next meeting. Tahnk you for providing us with this valuable information
Mahalo
Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My 18-year-old daughter was booked into this hotel by a third party for a work-related event. When she went to check in -- thousands of miles from home and on her first solo trip -- she was denied the room reserved for her without securing the room with a $1,000 deposit. The adult in charge of the event was not there yet and the hotel staff was abusive and unkind and refused to talk to me or my husband on the phone unless we faxed them our credit card number. Our daughter -- a brave, poised young college athlete -- was so upset and scared she became physically ill. Really. We're thousands of miles and a few time zones away and they won't talk to us without our Visa number? SERIOUSLY UNPROFESSIONAL! I am furious beyond words at this point -- and my daughter is sitting in the lobby crying. I have advised her to vomit in the lobby and tell them to call her parents if they don't like it. Who knows, maybe they'll act like adults and talk to us without our credit card number.

Room Tip: Stay where they are professional and kind, not here.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
I wish that I had more details regarding this incident so that I might follow up with the individuals invilved, but suffice to say this is NOT the way to treat anyone and I will be reviewing this with our F/Desk and Duty Management staff. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Mahalo
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed on the 27th floor - small room but clean, had a lanai, refrigerator and microwave. Staff was always friendly unlike some others' experiences. This is not a convenient hotel if you want beach access, however the shopping mall is nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Appreciate your comments and altho we are not on the beach, Magic Island and Ala Moana Beach Park are only minutes away. Mahalo

Been to Ala Moana Hotel? Share your experiences!