“Smokers, cockroaches, and amphetamines.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Use Promo Code
Ranked #62 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
San Francisco, California
“Smokers, cockroaches, and amphetamines.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

After two days of nasty smoke drifting in my window I finally identified two seperate guests rooms where people were smoking, the hotel is meant to be non-smoking. I found a couple pills of (later identified) Ritalin at the elevators. My inlaws squashed a roach in their room.
Additionally the hotel has major staffing issues- the front desk was often unable to answer calls (as I tried to get help on smokers and roaches) because they were so poorly staffed. It took us 35 minutes to get checked in.
The third day I finally complained. The guest services manager was professional and nice but overworked, he offered a number of perks, such as free valet and breakfast.
The next day I went to use the valet- but was informed I would need a special slip from the front desk and it looked to be a 30 minute wait. Comical and ridiculous. So I saw the manager that evening and said I would after all take him up on the breakfast, as I had declined it previously (pregnant wife, first kid, trying to be healthier) He had to check his log to remember what my issues were. Amazing because that would mean he'd had so many complaints he couldn't recall mine, which to me seemed egregious and remarkable. He said he could cover one breakfast but not another for my inlaws (he relented after I reminded him about the cockroach which appearently didn't warrant a note in the log)
The manner with which he disregarded the Ritalin in the hallway (a schedule 2 drug) makes me suspect drugs aren't uncommon- I won't even start with the seedy characters attending the hotel's night club, 'Rumors'.
Shady and gross, spend the extra 40$ a night and save yourself the icky feelings.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Arrived to one very long queue at check in and two people at the desk. Each person took at least 10 minutes to book in so we left to get dinner and came back to another long queue. Half an hour plus to just check in.
We had requested two beds, and although they didn't have that available they said we had a pull out couch ( with a very poor saggy mattress) and the bed, yet when getting to the room there was no linen for the old couch despite them knowing in advance we needed two beds.
Had a long flight of nearly 9 hours to get here and it sure doesn't feel like a great place to holiday.
Very small room. Will see if it improves.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dave L, General Manager at Ala Moana Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, as with most hotels, bedding requests are not guaranteed altho we do out utmost to honor them. Mahalo
Sooke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed at this place in Nov 2012. Nice clean rooms. Hotel is next to Ala Moana mall- really good for some shopping. I rented a car but didn't really need it as hotel is on bus routes. Parking costs $20 per day. Nice pool and exersise rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments. Hope to see you back here sometime in the future. Mahalo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Everything was better than I expected.
Perfect location, very helpful and friendly staff. Attached to the Ala Moana Mall. So convenient. Minutes from Waikiki. Our housekeeper Herminia provided us with the very best level of service. Her attenion to detail was incredible. She kept our room very clean and tidy. Highly recommend this hotel.
I now understand why most flight crews stay here.
We stayed in the Waikiki tower and we got free Wifi but the login is a little fussy.
You have to enter your email address every time you log in. Very minor issue.

• Stayed February 2013
Pequot Lakes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed 5 days in October as it was close to my conference. If you are a on a budget it is reasonably priced and connected to the Ala Moana shopping complex. As it was my first time to Honolulu I wished I would have stayed closer to Waikkii. I took the bus to/from the beach (easy and cheap) daily as shopping didn't interest me. I did venture across the street to the local park on the beach one night to watch a sunset but after dark I found it scary and do not recommend it.

I loved the fact after checkout time you can keep your bags stored in the hotel lobby all day so you can see sight's without toting luggage around. Staff was pleasant but the front desk was always very busy so be prepared for a wait checking in.

The hotel was fairly clean, elevators didn't always work and a very TINY bathroom. My room was a partial city/ocean view with a balcony.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Puyallup, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I arrived at the hotel around midnight, exhausted, and needed to wake up at 5:30am for a snorkel trip. Exiting the elevator to the lobby, I stepped into a thumping club scene. It seems the hotel is home to one of Honolulu's best clubs "Rumours." That's great, but tired and scrubbed out me was not prepared nor in the mood to be greeted by club rats.
The party continues in the rooms upstairs. Drunks were yelling and running through the halls even as I was heading out to my sunrise snorkel. I didn't sleep a minute and the next night wasn't any better.
You also have to pay $20 a day to park at the hotel. I was only there for the weekend so I didn't bother looking for alternatives.
You're in the heart of the city and right next door to a huge shopping mall so the "views" are less that picture worthy. But if you're looking to shop and party, this is the hotel for you. If you want a more relaxing vacation, stay somewhere further north like Kapolei.

• Liked — Room furnishings
  • Disliked — Loud location and club goers
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments. We do have 24 hour security who do take action when we receive complaint about noise. Mahalo
Vernon Hills, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights because we wanted to be near the ocean without paying the ritzy prices of Waikiki. Check-in was smooth and our room was clean, comfy, and quiet. As with most hotels, “ocean view” doesn’t guarantee you’ll see anything more than a sliver of water, but this hotel is a 5 minute walk to the mall, another 5 minutes to the beach, and a cheap bus ride to Waikiki. And the free wifi was definitely a nice perk.

Skip the Garden Restaurant if you stay here. The dim sum (Chinese) cuisine is very mediocre and most of the staff didn’t speak English. There are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

This place is great if you don’t need luxury but still want to stay at a respectable hotel. And a special thanks to Malia at the concierge desk. She was very friendly and super helpful in planning our weekend activities.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ala Moana Hotel? Share your experiences!