“Great location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Hawaii
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Location is really a 15minute walk to a beach park. Also a 5 minute walk from Ala Moana Hotel.
They have a nightclub and a pretty good restaurant in the lobby. Will stay next time I am in Oahu.
There is the usual ironing board/hair dryer/coffee maker. The lanai is somewhat small but reasonable for Oahu.

Room Tip: I love the Alamoana tower as it was closer to the beach/mall
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Honokaa, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I requested a Queen size bed for me & my wife and it was confirmed when my reservation was made. I use a CPAP to sleep and the noise can be troublesome on a small bed. When I reported to the check-in desk, I don't know why but the clerk made me stand at the counter for about 15 minutes as she was focused on the computer. Then, she asked me if I would like two double beds instead and I said no. Later, she told me if I could wait for about 15 minutes and we'll have a room. I assumed after 15 more minutes it would be a Queen size bed which we reserved so I agreed. We we entered the room, there was no Queen size bed.

If time was needed for a Queen size bed, the receptionist could have told me and I would have gone shopping and returned later. The receptionist quietly worked the computer over a prolonged period and fail to sense the customer's need to know what is happening. There was no explanation for the delay or apology. The final insult was not getting what we reserved after standing captively and uninformed at the counter.

Room Tip: Choosing is meaningless because they deviate from the confirmed reseveration status without your per...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kauai, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We recently spent 3 nights at the Ala Moana for a women's conference nearby. The room was comfortable and included a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Beds were very comfortable, service fine. The lanai was small, but we had one! We had no view, but then we didn't pay for one. We had an exceptional rate.
Because of the storage space for food and utensils, I think you could do very well for a more extended stay with a few groceries laid in for breakfasts and/or lunches.
The proximity to the Ala Moana Mall is an obvious plus, as was the direct above street level connection. It was also handy being just a block away from the Convention Centre I wouldn't want to be driving in the area - not pleasant!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Parsippany, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was in Honolulu for a convention taking place at the Honolulu Convention center - this was the closest hotel to the convention center so I booked it. I was skeptical at first since the rate was only $150 + Tax but boy was I happy with this place! We (took the hubby along for a little vaca) booked a partial ocean view room but got a parking lot view in stead with the slight view of the ocean behind the buildings but once again with that rate I wasn't going to complain. The room was small but good enough for two people. The Ala Moana shopping center was right next door so we did a lot of our dining at the food court there which has varieties of food from all around the world. Of course the shopping center is the perfect place to pick up cheap souvenirs to bring home!!! There's a 7-eleven close to this place, as well as various family restaurants within walking distance. You can also hop on a trolley from the Ala Moana center for $2 which takes you around the city. I would definitely recommend this place, if you're looking for inexpensive but decent stay while in this beautiful city!

Room Tip: Rooms on the Kona Tower are quieter- Rooms comes with a refrigerator and a microwave!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed overnight for business. I loved the fact that there was a bridge across to the huge shopping mall. That also meant that there were plenty of restaurants close by to choose from. The hotel has an impressive lobby, with spacious lounge areas, super-fast elevators, very comfortable beds, spacious room, microwave etc. Free in-room wifi internet is also a welcome bonus. Good, effective air conditioning. Bathroom spacious, over bath shower a little dated. Super little balcony overlooking the pool area with sea views. Reception staff friendly and informative. Very handy shops on the premises for sundries, drinks, snacks and gifts, open 7 am till 11 pm.
As previous reviewers have said, would benefit from updating but I have seen much, much worse. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Farmington, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Ala Moana for 4 nights. Husband was there on business and I tagged along. 34the floor room had fridge and microwave which is always nice. View was only so-so. Had to look between high rise hotels to get a glimpse of the ocean. Had a great view of the YMCA pool, though. Frequent sirens and street noise was kind of a drag when we wanted to leave the lanai door open. Room was mostly clean. There was quite a bit of dirt built up in the corners in the bathroom and some broken glass and dirt behind the door to our room. Housekeeping staff did vacuum up the stuff behind the door when I brought it to their attention. Noticed paint splatters on the walls and floor in the bathroom which turns out was probably toothpaste from a previous guest that I scrubbed up with a wash cloth. That was a turn off. And they will need to get something sharp to get the dust and dirt out of the corners. I wished I'd had a screwdriver with me... Other than that, room was clean enough, comfortable and the bed was fine. Had the "cold" breakfast in the coffee shop. I feel like it was pricey, but it is Hawaii and everything is pricey food wise! Front desk staff that I dealt with were all very nice. They helped me figure out buses to get me to some of the sites I wanted to see. We must have been in the "new" tower, I overheard people talking about the Kona Tower and that it wasn't as nice. Within walking distance to the beach, but the closest one was kind of rocky. We walked about 15 minutes to Waikiki where the sand was better. Adjacent to the Ala Moana Shopping Center. In room info said pool closed at 6:30 - that would not do if we'd had our kids with us. We might stay here again if it was all that was available.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Kekaha, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We are from Kauai and stay at the Ala Moana Hotel frequently. We love the convenience of walking to Ala Moana Shopping Center. But I have to say the rooms need updating. We stayed here 2 weeks in a row. The first week we stayed for 2 nights. The refrigerator was so loud, I had to constantly shake or bang on it to get it to stop making such a loud sound. The next week we stayed 3 nights. This time the air conditioner was loud, which makes it difficult to fall asleep. Makes me seriously weigh convenience vs. comfort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ala Moana Hotel? Share your experiences!