“Great location, shame about the cleanliness” 3 of 5 stars

You added Waikiki Beachside Hostel to your Saves list
Waikiki Beachside Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   2556 Lemon Road, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Sydney
“Great location, shame about the cleanliness”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

I am female and in my mid 30's. I have spent a lot of time in backplackers and from the sound of the website, and other urls I looked at it seemed like a great choice. Hmmm.. Maybe in comparison to other US hotsels. How it won an award is beyond me.

It was a great location. I will give it that. Central and handy for everything we wanted to see and do. But they just didn't seem to bother cleaning the place. I spent 5 nights there and in that whole time, their idea of cleaning the room (an 8 bed dorm share) was to empty the bin in the bathroom and change the bathmat (which was normally an old bath towel). Would it have hurt to have swept the room? I know being beachside it gets a lot of sand, but really, after 5 days you would think that one little sweep would be a nice touch!

Maybe if the staff spent sometime inside the room instead of standing outside eating, drinking or avoiding the boss, it may have been a little better.

Desk Staff were semi helpful, but not overly so. It felt safe because you had to walk through reception to get in, but that is where it stopped. Our room was left open most of the time and there was no where to store anything.

Conclusion: Won't be back.

• Liked — Location; great spot to meet fellow travellers
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

400 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2007

I'm a single traveller, mid-20s. Not really expecting much apart from somewhere to sleep and internet access.

I stayed at this hostel for the week I spent in Hawaii and it was fine, but I would probably have moved if I was staying any longer.

Pros:
- Location is great - a block from the beach, convenience stores at the end of the street in both directions, about 5-10 mins walk to all the cafes, hotels and bars. Also very close to all the buses you'll need - about 2 mins walk.
- Cheap. $25 a night isn't amazingly cheap compared to other hostels I've stayed in aorund the world but it is good for Hawaii and I can't fault the location.
- 24 hour internet room with about 12 computers. $6 for an hour which is a bit pricey but it was so convenient I didn't mind.
- Helpful staff - had maps and bus details available and were happy to give advice on what to do and places to eat etc.
- Common area. This is outside, under the first floor - next to the parking. Plenty of tables and chairs as well as some sofas, snack machines, large screen tvs. A good place to relax.
- Laundry onsite.

Cons:
- Bathroom is in the dorm. This is handy, but for a couple of nights I was sharing with a group of 4 teenage girls who would spend 2 hours getting ready to go out! Also, everytime someone used it in the night the light shone straight across my face whenever the door was opened. The only other toilet is down in reception.
- Not very clean. I was unlucky in that some of my roommates were very untidy (especially the group of 4!) but even after the cleaners had been everyday the bath often stil had sand in it and I didn't use the kitchen. Partly because other didn't wash up properly and partly because everything looked so old. Luckily there are plenty of places to eat out.
- Security. Balcony door to my dorm did not lock (and I was only the first floor) and there are no lockers in the rooms. Luckily I did not have any problems but I never left anything valuable in the room while I was out.

Basically this hostel is a good place to base yourself to be able to see Oahu but it is not really anything special. I met some great people to hang out with and felt comfortable but eveything needs updating and renovating.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Waikiki Beachside Hostel? Share your experiences!