“cheap,helpful and a great location” 4 of 5 stars

You added Waikiki Beachside Hostel to your Saves list
Waikiki Beachside Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   2556 Lemon Road, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
hawaii
“cheap,helpful and a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

As an older person staying at the hostel I found it quite comfortable, great price and location is ideal. Beach a block away, restaurants, shops and the international market for great shopping very close. The staff are extremely friendly and will answer any of your questions and are very helpful in telling you how to get to places and any other local tips. The rooms are good for the price and I felt very safe so if you are travelling alone there is no problem.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

This place is great! Everyone that works there is so friendly and will help you with anything you need. They even organize some social activities. I would highly recommend this if you are traveling solo because it's a great place to meet people to hang out with. The hostel is kept very clean and has some great common areas.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

This hostel is fantastic, The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Everyone staying in the hostel are great and are all there for a good time. The staff at fantastic and help with anything you need and have great advice on where to go and what to do. I stayed in a hostel on one of the other islands and it doesent come anywhere near to standard of this hostel. The location is also great, close to the beach and town. I definetly recomend it and i will be back again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

Just arrived back from a stay at Waikiki Beachside Hostel. I decided on this hostel based on reviews I read. However, once there I realized that some of the reviews I read may have been skewed positively because you are given $5 back on your stay for writing a review that you copy and paste to a word doc and print on their hostel computer for the manager to read. My review was going to have some of the bad left out if I had time to write it before I left.

The good: the location, the price, and the desk staff. The bad: potential for awful room-mates. For instance, in the 8 room female dorm I was staying in, roomates were good for the most part, but one night we had a girl bring home a guy at 3 in the morning, I was asleep in the same room, only to be awoken by sounds of them having sex. I was also awoken by the roommate of the guy that was in our dorm banging loudly on our door to get his friend out. He knew they could be kicked out if his friend was caught, no males are permitted in all female dorm rooms. The guy in our room was asked to leave by the rest of the girls in the room but wouldn't.

Staff was alerted of someone in our room by all the shouting and noise being made and asked both the guy and girl to check out the next day...kuudos for that.

Right after this incident, the girl who brought the guy back got on her cell phone aand was very loudly talking in her Norweigan tongue to her boyfriend back home for about 30 minutes or so. She wouldn't stop talking inspite of a few callouts from other girls in the room to get off the phone. Once she was off the phone, there was another incident of rocks being thrown at our shutters by the friend of the guy that was kicked out of our room.

When it was finally quiet, I think I got less than 3 hours sleep, because early the next day, the girl who caused all the commotion started chit-chatting with her friend early in the morning without any regards to the fact that others may have been sleeping. In total of my 6 night stay I had 13 room-mates. As I said earlier, most were good, but a couple were bad. You never know who you may end up with in a hostel.

One other thing to mention was that overall, the staff was good at cleaning, but we had the most disgusting bath mat in the bathroom for bulk of my stay, that should have been replaced more frequently if not daily.

Glasgow, Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

If there is a bit of advice I can give...is that do not stay here!
The only good thing about the hostel is the location!

The rooms were basic but housekeeping did keep them tidy. The lockers for use cost you $1 everytime! So if you needed something out it would be another $1!!!!
The laundry facilities were appauling! 4 machines, 2 of which did not work, another one did nto have a door leaving the only one that worked to be reserved for staff use between 9am and 6pm!

The internet was fast although stopped working for an entire day while I was there. the rooms have absolutely no air condition just a huge fan which does pretty much nothing and for the cost of running it they could have installed air con!

The only good thing was the location, which thankfully was next to the beach so I could spend as little time as possible here! There is another hostel next door. Polynesian Beach Hostel...I would try there next time!

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

All in all I had a great time. Keeping in mind it is a hostel & not a hotel it was great service!!!! The people working there are veeeery friendly & helpful. Felt like my family for me as a single girl traveling. I felt very safe, we basically all had our laptops, wallets etc out on the bed. It's a 3 min walk to Waikiki Beach. One of the famous ABC stores is right next to it. They offer activities sometimes, I was skydiving with a group and it was an amazing day!!!! In the nights it gets noisy with people hanging out in the lounge (which offers free wifi, snacks & drinks from vending machine, two big screen TVs, washing machines & dryer) - but the good thing is: everybody is always welcomed to join the party! at 11pm people are send away to keep the peace at night. free breakfast with PBJ sandwich, coffee & tea was good enough

Room: 4-bed female only - no guys in the room allowed!

lots of space, daily housekeeping, clean sheets, beds ok, TV, kitchen (microwave, stove, oven, sink), TV, bathroom (clean, always hot water!), fan & AC, locker (1$ per use), free wifi (usually only in lounge available, but i had access in my room)

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

great loation, friendly staff, reasonable price for the area

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Waikiki Beachside Hostel? Share your experiences!