“Think I'm a little old for hostels :)” 3 of 5 stars

You added Waikiki Beachside Hostel to your Saves list
Waikiki Beachside Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   2556 Lemon Road, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Think I'm a little old for hostels :)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I haven't traveled overseas in 7 years and think I have finally got too old for hostels. But in saying that there were definitely some positives and negatives re the hostel. Always best to start with the positives. The staff were really helpful and friendly so that was great start to my stay and the location of hostel was very central which is a great thing.

The room itself was exactly as specified in the description, 4 bed female room. The main room with 2 single beds, the kitchenette and a table & chair. The second bedroom had 2 single beds. The bathroom was very compact and average in its cleanliness - but this wasn't an issue, I had my thongs/flip flops for the shower (so all good).

The major negative was there wasn't an air-conditioner in my room. Two fans that circulated the hot/humid air, which was way too much for me to deal with and I had booked in for a 4 night stay and had to cut this down to 2 nights and changed to a hotel.

I must finish with another positive. My room mate was a lovely gal from Canada and we hit it off straight away so it made the stay enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

pros
-Location! : only one min.walk to the Beach!!
-Price : totally Affordable considering the location!
-Staff : they were friendly and really helpful for me
-Locker : each room has locker to keep your valuables safe.
-Atmosphere : very nice to make some good friends!

cons
-Cleanness
its hostel so Its okay if its not super-shiny-clean, but at least it should be, well, clean...
one day I was staying in the dorm all day, and I saw Cleaning lady just swiped the floor
and changed the bath mat and left - was that all?

This hostel definitely need some supervisor or double-check system.
no offence, it was not very dirty. but it wasn't acceptable for me either.

notes..
-Breakfast is available between 9AM-10AM, jam,butter,toast,coffee and icy water. (Free)
-Location (Lemon rd) is okay, not dangerous but just beware of weird people at night time.

another note..
-some old review says, sheets were dirty, beds were making squeeky noise all the time...
but not anymore. I found the bed had some rubber damper and sheets were quite clean.
They mustve fix those problems somehow recently.

I really enjoyed and had great time at this hostel :)
I was going to give it Five stars however due to these reason, Four stars.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Just spent a week at this hostel and they were great. Especially Rebecca. She was always helpful and actually acted like she wanted to help. Although I am a senior citizen I never felt out of place. I will go back!!

Room Tip: The co-ed dorm is just as good as single gender dorms. Plenty of privacy.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

It's a typical American hostel. The room I was in had disgusting marks on the wall, fridge was disgusting. I would not recommend this hostel to anyone but you get what you pay for! It is in a great location, right near the beach. You can rent umbrellas and chairs on the beach, but the hostel has these you can borrow for free! Buying these at the abc around the corner is much much cheaper than renting as well. The area feels safe. The staff are excellent especially Yanni!

Check out condo rentals in the area, it can actually work out to the same price of this place per night..... This place really needs a good clean and paint job. It would make a huge difference.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Whistler, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

We recently stayed there April 28, 2014 and were bitten by an infestation of bed bugs! The people at the front desk were not very apologetic almost as if it happens all the time! We didn't expect much going into the hostel, we are young travellers and know the risks involved with staying at hostels! including the risk of BED BUGS! but this absolutely ruined our holiday with massive welts and bites covering our bodies DO NOT STAY HERE, DON'T TAKE THE RISK. We also had to wash and dry our clothes twice which costed around $30 and again more precautions when arriving back home to ensure we did not carry them with us. The hostel is close to waikiki beach but the location is slightly sketchy with some odd characters hanging out in the back lane behind the hostel. We weren't there long enough to even gauge the amenities and other things about the hostel

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
WaikikiBeachside, Manager at Waikiki Beachside Hostel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
We have received your review informing us of your experience at the Waikiki Beachside Hostel. It is with deepest regrets to read about your stay with us.

Our hostel continues and strives to ensure each room is well inspected, clean, and properly treated for pest maintenance. We recognize travelers are coming from many parts of the world and ensuring the quality of the rooms is our main priority. We want to let you know that this is in no way a reflection of our hostel standards and apologize that we were unable to meet the expectations of your stay with us.

We are grateful for your feedback on our establishment so we can better improve our procedures and facility. I would greatly appreciate if you would be so kind to contact me directly at contact@waikikibeachsidehostel.com so that i can learn more about the details of your visit and resolve any concerns.

It is my sincere hopes that we can provide for another opportunity to experience the hostel in a positive manner in which so many others have in the past.

Kind Regards,

Rebecca Garcia
Operations Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The location of the hostel is great, the staff is very friendly and fun, nice vibes from the lounge area - always with people getting together, drinking, enjoying the music and having a good time. The bedrooms are clean and with small kitchens inside which make them perfect. The breakfast is good as well. Loved it every minute spent there! -- Cheers from Brazil!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Coquitlam, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Definitely a good-value place for what you would pay which is like maybe five times less (!) than what you would pay for the Marriott or other big hotels nearby right on the Waikiki beachfront. The Waikiki beach is totally in the walking distance, and that beachfront road, Kalakaua Ave., is totally alive at night with tons of shops, places to eat, torches lit with flames dancing in the wind (especially very nice ones flanking the Duke statue). If you're looking for nice and cheap fast food, go to McDonald's on Kalakaua not far at all from the hostel, but not Burger King nearby which charged a lot more for the similar food. There are also quite a few ABC grocery stores near the hostel where you can get everything from toiletries to bananas to postcards for souvenir.

If you're doing an early morning tour of Pearl Harbor, Queen Kapiolani Hotel is where you would want to wait at for your Discovery or something tour bus, and that big hotel is just at the end of the back lane of the hostel and on the left. The bus stops to and from the Airport are also in the walking distance from the hostel (I dragged my suitcase from the arriving bus stop to the hostel and then back to the departing bus stop to the Airport).

The Wi-Fi was excellent. The only thing maybe they could improve on was providing towels and small bars of soap and shampoo even at a price. I actually bought a towel from them for a dollar or two, but I had to go to an ABC store for soap.

It is definitely recommended for budget travellers who can do shared accommodation and without a TV but you will get to enjoy all that Waikiki beachfront has to offer for a fraction of what people at big hotels pay. Last but not least, the staff were very friendly as well, the gentleman at check-in had a friendly smile and the gentleman at check-out very kindly helped me with storing my bags at their storage since I could not take them with me on a Pearl Harbor tour before leaving the Island.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Waikiki Beachside Hostel? Share your experiences!