“A Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel

You added The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel to your Saves list
The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2863 Kalakaua Ave., Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #32 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Thailand
“A Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed there for 4 nights in the Diamond Head view room and enjoyed it. Pros and cons:
Pros:
Air con good
Bed very comfortable
Balcony with view
Staff very friendly
Quiet location
Cons:
Wifi non existent
This is a good hotel if you get a good deal. I would not pay posted rate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Polish first
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel is located right on the beach (San Souci); no roads to cross! It is a 10 minute walk from the the "Waikiki strip" through Kapiolani Park and is a pleasant walk. We stayed in a "Diamond Head" view room which was comfortable and clean but could use a renovation. I understand that some rooms have been renovated. The Hau Tree Lanai restaurant is fabulous both for the quality of food and the view of the beach and ocean. This is the second time I have stayed there and would stay there again.

San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

For the most part, I have enjoyed the 4 days staying at the New Otani Kaimana. Of particular importance, was the awesome view from our corner room and San Souci beach just outside the hotel. By far, these were the two aspects worth paying for. The 15 minute walk from the hotel to Waikiki and back, just to get coffee, food, etc, can be a pain though.

However, I must say the thing I found most annoying about the hotel was the poor customer service. Having just stayed 4 days earlier at the Modern Hotel at the opposite end of Waikiki, the lack of customer service at the New Otani Kaimana becomes apparent. Franky, the customer service at Teddy's Bigger Burgers was way better.

For instance, I did not have my phone with me, so I asked the front desk if they could tell me what the weather was like in Waimea Bay - I was told they did not know. They did not even bother to Google it.

Today, I asked if the lounge had a Happy Hour and was told yes, from 2-4 pm. Then, when we showed up at that time and inquired about the Happy Hour, the bartender just shook his head and said not for about 5 years. I stated that a lady at the hotel had told me there was one and he flippantly said "who, the cashier". He was completely dismissive and that is not a way to treat guests.

On other item that seems to be guest unfriendly, is the fact that while there is free internet from your room, in order to print your boarding passes, you must use the front lobby computer for a fee of $5 minimum, plus .75 per page to print. What the hell? Isn't the point to be guest friendly and make our stay easier?

FYI, I called the Modern Hotel where I had just stayed a few days prior, to thank again the manager for her help while there. In doing so, I complained about this incident and she told me I could come by and print my boarding passes there, if I needed to. Now that is customer service!

To be clear, the New Otani Kaimana hotel has a great view of Waikiki, if you get the right room. The beach right outside the hotel is also great, and has an overall calmer environment. However, there are better hotels for less, and they will make your vacation stay with them feel like it matters.

Room Tip: Get a newly renovated Ocean Front Waikiki Deluxe Corner room. The view from this room will be the on...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

I came here on a 5-day vacation by myself to explore Hawaii. I was very pleased with the overall experience, particularly the service. The valets are friendly and helpful with travel tips, the bartenders likewise courteous, and room service prompt and extremely thorough. The rooms are a bit small and Wi-Fi is very slow, but if you're in Oahu to browse the web in your hotel room you probably aren't reading this to begin with. Besides, at least the Internet is likely to be upgraded at some point.

The location is excellent, about a half mile south from the end of the main Waikiki strip (92), ideal for getting a quick warmup on your (my) 4:00 AM walk to downtown. The local beach is perfect for a lively atmosphere away from the downtown area. I have already recommended this place to relatives and acquaintances who are planning a trip to this island. I definitely believe that a reviewer's reputation is at stake for every review posted and I feel confident endorsing this resort as one to consider for a lower cost but still satisfying housing option on vacation here.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was one of the best that I ever stayed in anywhere. It is very plush, boutique style with excellent service, restaurant was great and very friendly employees. The hotel is located at the end of the Waikiki beach strip near the zoo and is separated by the park. This gives it a feeling that you have a portion of beach to yourself. The rooms are elegant with beautiful views. The rooms were just renovated before our arrival, very nice job. The only thing that could use improvement was Wi-FI Internet access, I most defiantly will stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a ocean or beach view room for the spectacular scenery.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've been staying at the New Otani Kaimana since 1995 and always have a wonderful time. It's a boutique hotel right on the ocean and is perfect if you're looking for a peaceful vacation on Waikiki but away from the chaos of Waikiki.

Things I liked the most: (1) It has valet parking (which you pay for, sadly) so getting in and out with a rental car is really easy. All of Waikiki is congested, but at the New Otani you just drive in and drop off your car in about 30 seconds and you're right there at the hotel entrance. This was very nice after long day trips to Diamondhead or Pearl Harbor. (2) They have a truly wonderful restaurant called the Hau Tree Lanai which is in the top 1% of restaurants I have ever visited in terms of atmosphere and view. You're under this enormous tree in the shade right on the beach. They're very busy, but my trick is to make reservations for 7:00am (right when they open) on OpenTable.com. I am a single traveler and many restaurants have an attitude problem with single diners ("oh hello, loser, no spouse or friends to bring today?") but the people at the Hau Tree were splendid and welcomed me like I was an old friend, and in fact as a single diner I got the best tables in the place. Get the poi pancakes. (3) The rooms with views are expensive, but you get a view of all of Waikiki that is spectacular. (4) Service is great, and there is a little store on the street that has all the food and beach supplies you will need.

Things I didn't care for: (1) Bathrooms were small. After you go swimming, you want to shower to get the sand and salt off, and it would be nice to have a big bathroom to move around. (2) It's a fair hike to the main part of Waikiki. You don't want to drive because parking in Waikiki is a pain, but if you walk you're looking at a good 15 minutes or more each way. That's okay once or twice a day, but late at night after a big dinner you may not feel like walking so far. (3) The beach at the New Otani is very quiet. It's near some big condos and this horrible thing called a "natatorium" which is a crumbling cement-walled swimming area on the beach. So the beach area outside the hotel feels confined, and on weekends it can get crowded, although I never felt it was too crowded. But the water is relatively calm, and if you want the bigger waves you need to go to the main part of Waikiki.

Overall the things I liked vastly outweighed the things I didn't care for. I visit Hawaii now and then and plan to stay always at the New Otani Kaimana.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Altadena, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I had some trepidation about the hotel from a small minority of reviews, but it was close to perfect for us. We had booked this using miles on United, and we got the cheapest room selection. I had emailed the hotel earlier about upgrading, but thinking we would spend little time inside the room, I decided to not opt for an upgrade.
When we checked in, we were pleasantly surprised to get a room on the 8th floor, Diamond Head side, with a narrow view of the Sans Souci beach. The hotel staff were very nice - Chris the bellhop was very helpful with tips. We immediately made reservations for dinner at the Hau Tree Lanai restaurant, and got exactly our desired seating at 6:15pm for the 6:40pm sunset dining. We also ate breakfast the next morning at 7am there, and had drinks one afternoon at the bar overlooking the Hau Tree Lanai. While the dinner was somewhat pricey and strictly from the food perspective not a great value, the ambiance and the service made up for that, and overall it is a great romantic location.
The towels and beach mats, and one day even a beach chair, were very helpful. The beach is gorgeous. The location within walking distance of Waikiki beach was amazing! We never had parking issues - usually the valet would ask whether we planned on going out soon again, and park accordingly.
The room was small, and the bathroom was also small. But we felt they were adequate. The two things that I wish they would change:
1. There should be more electrical outlets in the room - specially near the desk. We had to ask for an extension cord to run from the outlet near the headboard - and once they provided it, it worked fine. But many of the outlets were covered with solid face plates. That does not make sense!
2. One day we wanted coffee in the afternoon and went down to the bar. The barman said they would provide coffee maker in the room if we asked for it. Then we also read in the rules that they indeed do so. We got a coffee maker and coffee and cream and sugars, and every day the cleaning person would replenish the supplies. Why is this not standard? For this class of hotel, why do you have to make your guests ask for it?

The wind howling across our 8th floor lanai was sometimes too loud, but we got used to it.
Overall a very nice find, and we would definitely stay there again!
Mahalo.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!