“Friendly staff, very good food.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of MAC 24 - 7 Bar + Restaurant

MAC 24 - 7 Bar + Restaurant
2500 Kuhio Ave, Lobby Level Hilton Waikiki Beach, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96814 (Waikiki)
+1 808-921-5564
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
MAC 24 - 7 Bar + Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #211 of 1,987 Restaurants in Honolulu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Kuhio & Liliuokalani
Description: Waikiki's premier 24-hour restaurant featuring our twist on gourmet comfort food and the world famous MAC-Daddy pancakes made popular on television's "Man Vs. Food". MAC 24/7 also features a full service bar! (Bar open until 4am)
St. John's, Canada
“Friendly staff, very good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We ate here for breakfast on a number of occasions, as well as supper and lunch. It was a very good restaurant. Great atmosphere with lots of natural light. The staff were very friendly and good at their jobs.

The pancake challenge is absolutely delicious, but way too much pancake for 2 people, let alone 1.

The restaurant was very clean with lots of seating and had a good selection of drinks and food.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant while in Honolulu.

Visited July 2012
brettcallis, Manager at MAC 24 - 7 Bar + Restaurant, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Woo-hoo! Mahalo for the wonderful words on service and food. And, thank you for spreading the word!

• Korean first
Abbotsford, Canada
“This was so bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This place is so bad. I don’t know where to start. We’d had breakfast here before and it was decent. Thanksgiving day so many restaurants are closed so we decided to go to Mac 24/7.

We were seated and a lovely young waitress with longish hair waited on us. When we asked her about happy hour she told us that we would have to go to the lounge next door. She said it was a good idea because the specialty drinks are half price. We went to the lounge and my husband had a guava-licious (very watered down drink) and I had a peach herbal drink (I could taste the liquor but ginger taste was so strong it over powered everything else). Not worth the price.

When we go back for dinner we are seated, not in the area where the lovely waitress we had originally is stationed but at the back of the room where our server is an older Oriental lady with no social skills at all. She presented the menus to us and shortly after came back and asked if we were ready to order.

I ordered the pork chops and my husband decided to go with the 3 course Thanksgiving Day Menu $32.00. The first course was butternut squash soup. It was lukewarm when served and when my husband gave me a taste I said it tasted more like tomato soup then butternut squash. When we mentioned it to the waitress she said that it was tomato soup, they ran out of the other. It would have been nice if she mentioned it beforehand. The pork chops were decent not outstanding. My husband’s prime rib was cold as were all the accompaniments. We sent it back and it was brought back to us 2 minutes later still cold but now it was more medium than the medium rare that my husband had ordered. We waited 4 or 5 minutes and did not see our waitress. We finally told another server that we needed to see our waitress. The prime rib is sent back a second time. This time, our waitress said that if hubby has prime rib hot that it has to be well done. What do you want instead ham or turkey? No other options were given to him. Other restaurants can do prime rib, rare or medium rare and serve it hot why can’t Mac 24/7. My husband opted for the turkey. It’s okay but not exceptional. My husband asked for the pecan pie for dessert and asked if it could be heated up. I could almost hear a deep sigh from our reluctant waitress. I notice that we were not the only table to receive this kind of attitude and service from her so she must have had a rough day. As we were leaving the lovely young lady who was our original server came up to us with a nice bright smile and asked what we had for dinner, wished us and Happy Thanksgiving and said “Please come and see us again” What a gem. They’ve got to hold on to her and maybe have her coach the old grouch in the back.

There is no way I’ll ever go back to Mac 24/7

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
brettcallis, Manager at MAC 24 - 7 Bar + Restaurant, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
My sincere apology that we dropped the ball on your Thanksgiving supper -- I am truly sorry. The server you loved and called "a gem" in the beginning is Pamela, and it is unfortunate that your second server did not provide you with the same wonderful, friendly, informed service. We will definitely use this as a coaching opportunity. If you're in town for an extended stay (or if your travels bring you back to the islands) I would love to have you return as my guest -- we'll make sure Pamela is your waitress that night!
Fresno, California
“Food was great, service was...relaxed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We wanted to go somewhere casual on our last night of vacation without fussing with reservations. Since I had heard many good things about Mac 24/7, we opted for an early dinner. The setting was pleasant, in a Hilton, and they validate the valet parking--we had been out going holoholo and didn't want to park and then walk back.

The place was fairly empty at the hour, likely because it was only 5pm. We were told that it's usually very busy for breakfast and lunch. but it was early for the dinner crowd. We had a nice view of the garden, with a waterfall and koi pond. The koi occasionally jumped out of the water--maybe they were hungry?

I ordered the "mac-aloha," a few slices of rare ahi, about half a chicken in two parts, and some kalbi beef, along with rice. I opted for white rice as I'm not a big fan of fried rice. The ahi was VERY smooth going down, almost like sushi. Very, very nice. The chicken was smoked, but didn't have one of those heavy smoked flavors, which I'm not fond of anyway. Moist and meaty, it was very good, but I could only eat half. Fortunately, Hubby had ordered only a burger (he was on a burger binge), and helped by taking half the chicken. The kalbi (my third in the week), we beefy and well-flavored. Niceties were tossed; I ate half of this meal with my fingers.

Hubby's burger tasted good, like most of the burgers he had been having that week. I got a taste. Worth the price for a good tasting burger; he's not a fan of the cheap--and cheap-tasting-- ones.

Our friend also had the mac-aloha, but with no one to help her, she took home half her chicken.

We split two desserts for the table, the bread pudding and xangos, a fried pastry filled with banana-y/cream cheese. Both were served with a good vanilla ice cream and VERY good whipped cream. We all liked both desserts, but the bread pudding seemed to win out by just a hair. I think something about the smoothness of the pudding, the bananas, and the crunch of the macadamia nuts--all combined to a very nice dessert. Either dessert could be shared by two.

Service was VERY relaxed, almost too relaxed, but maybe that's because we were so hungry, having skipped lunch. Our waiter, Michael, was definitely polite but friendly--no real complaints there. We watched a table of young men try to devour HUGE plates of the famous pancakes, which looked absolutely delicious (sorry, no pics). Sadly, they all wimped out.

The lobby had an interesting display of various wood bowls, with descriptions. After filling up on the large portions, the short walk around the lobby looking at this was quite welcome.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mahalo for the wonderful review, from MAC-Aloha combo plate to the burgers, dessert and service. I agree with you: the banana foster bread pudding is my favorite! Don't worry about the koi in the pond -- they are well taken care. It appears (according to their caretaker) that it is that "frisky" season for them, so the males are showing off (as if they were whales) breaching from time to time!
Western Massachusetts
“A great place to eat, WHENEVER you're hungry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Mac 24/7 is one of my favorite "go to" places to chow down whenever I'm back in Oahu. Good food and an easy walk from most of the Waikiki area hotels on or near Kalakaua Avenue.

This place was made semi famous when the Travel Channel featured it as THE place to go when you have a gargantuan appetite and feel the need to take on Mac's notorious pancake challenge. I saw a waiter carrying a stack of these mammoth flapjacks toward a table of happily inebriated 20-something guys and watched as the biggest dude of all tossed up the white flag of surrender when he couldn't finish them all. The show with the pancake challenge alone (when it happens) is worth coming to this restaurant for.

The food is tasty, with breakfast items like, well, pancakes (a normal portion, ofcourse), omelets, yohgurt parfaits and oatmeal available, served all day. The rest of the menu has a nice mixture of American, Italian and Japanese style dishes as well, such as Burgers, Chicken Parm, and Ahi Tuna with Wasabi and Soy, to name a mini cross section of Mac 24/7 dishes.
The prices are fair (for Waikiki, ayway) and there is a bar for those of us who wish to imbibe in little tonic now and then.

The location is in the Hilton on Kuhio Street toward the Diamond Head end of the street. Do check it out if you're curious about monster pancakes or if you're hungry at midnight.The service has always been friendly there and it's definitely worth the stop if you're sick of the more flashier, touristy spots one block up on Kalakaua. A keeper!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
brettcallis, Manager at MAC 24 - 7 Bar + Restaurant, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Aw, shucks -- what a wonderful review -- thank you so much. While we're glad that you got to witness the "pancake spectacle," we're also thrilled that you saw the other side of MAC 24/7, including the great cuisine of our new chef. Mahalo!
Spanish Fort, Alabama
“Best 24 hour dining in all of Honolulu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

A world-class celebrity chef has taken the helm of this top notch eatery. Now you've got not only a 24-hour full service restaurant with a full bar, but cuisine that ranks among the best in the city. Great service caps it off.

Visited October 2012
"Great Service" and a "World Class Celebrity Chef"? Woo-hoo! It's great to have you as a fan (and I do believe you made our Food Network $10,000 Challenge Winner, James Aptakin, blush a bit!).