“Relaxing and Convenient” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Roy's Waikiki Beach

Roy's Waikiki Beach
226 Lewers Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96816 (Waikiki)
(808) 923-7697
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Roy's Waikiki Beach is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,940 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Hawaiian
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Charlton, NY
“Relaxing and Convenient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We grabbed lunch off the bar menu (restaurant wasn't open for lunch) while ducking out of the rain. Bartender was super nice and accomodating. We stayed across the street at The Outrigger Reef so it was convenient for us. The menu was eclectic - which I like - not typical bar menu. The NBA Playoffs were on so my husband was thrilled when the bartender honored his request to change the channel to a game. My daughter was thrilled when he brought out tiny, rolled-up wash clothes that expanded when he poured hot water on them (she had ribs so she needed them). My mom and I loved the seasoned edamame he brought out for us (we didn't order - he brought these out like a typical place would bring out pretzels or a pub mix). I do not know what the inside is like or the full the dinner menu, but the outside is nice for people watching and to grab a quick bite and a drink.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Korean first
Cebu
“Food was ok but nothing much.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

After reading rave reviews and recommended by friends we had to try this restaurant. It's ok. Nothing to crow about. We had the appetizer plate, lobster appetizer with cheese (minuscule pics for I think $30, beef short ribs, and I forgot 2 more main dishes. Creme brûlée was runny inside.

Once is enough.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent food despite recent reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

After going to Roy's for afternoon drinks and deciding to book a table the same night, I was dismayed to read recent reviews about Roy's. I was in the verge of cancelling out reservation because of the reviews! However, I was very glad I didn't.

The waiter, Paul, was attentive and helpful. The food was superb, the chocolate soufflé thick and gooey within!

Perhaps the only criticism I have, actually 2, was the way the menu is set out, entrees then mains then starters again. I had to clarify the size of the meal when ordering as I didn't want to over-order.

The second criticism was the size of the portions relating to the mini degustation menu. There were 3 choices. First was poke or sashimi (raw tuna). This was an automatic selection. The second meal you had a choice of 3 meals. I had the salmon which was nice then the third meal was the soufflé. Because I thought a degustation menu is a sample of dishes with a less food, then I ordered a main dish as well. This turned out to be a mistake cos it was one meal too much. The salmon portion was just too big to be considered part of a degustation menu.

Despite this, I felt I wanted to write about my experience , which was overall positive as not to dissuade other potential food lovers from this restaurant !

Sydney, Australia
“Great food, rude staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

During my recent stay at Waikiki my family and friends sampled this restaurant. The food was very good (a little slow in coming out but still very good). I would have given the overall experience as excellent if it wasn't for the rude waiter that served us. Being from Australia I asked the waiter about the tipping. My understanding is that I being the customer determine the tip, not the waiter. If I want to give 20% I will gladly do it but that is for me to assess and not be bullied into paying it by an obnoxious waiter who blames his poor hourly wage for his 20% expectation.

Massive fail on his part.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Roy's is huge, noisy and full of atmosphere. Amazing seafood menu -with fish cooked 5 different ways. Good value for money. Children's menu available.Staff friendly and helpful - give good advice on food choice. Reservations are essential.