“Location, Location, Location” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Detroit, Michigan
“Location, Location, Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

We stayed here for three nights at the start of our two week vacation. We are fans of the Embassy, and it is not the first time we have stayed at one of there properties. The room was comfortable and clean, the fridge is nice to have. The hot breakfast buffet and managers evening reception are the added bonus for us. Wakiki is very expensive, and having the buffet in the morining to start your day was wonderful, and the reception in the evening to have a cocktail and snack before heading out to dinner was also wonderful. Reception snack changed daily, so that was nice and there is also nightly entertainment. Reception bartenders very friendly. The beach is one block up and there is a paved path between the Outriggar and another hotel but it is narrow and lined with rat traps (this is not maintained by Embassy) and smells like trash. When walking to the beach come out of the hotel near the front desk and turn left, cross the street and turn right there is another path to the beach that is very nice. Most of the staff was very nice, some of the front desk staff could have been more friendly and the staff member preparing the omletts was downright rude. Donald Trump has to be the biggest you know, and he is building a 20 something story hotel next door, they were on floor 22 when we were there, so the construction noise can be a bit annoying when at the pool. However, remember this is a big city and it is noisy regardless. Our view was of his building, but I did not mind, I found it quite interesting, and we could see the rest of the city also.
One of the best things is you can take the escalator down from the pool/reception area on the 4th floor and you are smack dab in the beach walk area of shops and resturants, very cool.

• Liked — clean, well appointed.
  • Disliked — some staff need better manners.
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Korean first
Jersey Shore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

We spent four nights at the Embassy Suites. The rooms were nice and new, plenty of room for four.

We had a bedroom with two queens and a pull-out couch in the living room. More than adequate drawer space for all of our clothes. A table with three (where was the fourth?) chairs and a little wet bar/fridge area. We were in an end room so we had wrap-around windows, it was very light and bright. We hadn't reserved an ocean view so it was a nice surprise to have one.

We were in the Aloha tower on the 15th floor, at that height and with only about 10 rooms per floor, it was very quiet. There is construction going on right across the street but we were not disturbed by it. There was a lanai the length of our two rooms but it was very shallow, I was not comfortable out there.

They had a nice buffet breakfast every morning.
The food was kept fresh and hot. I had a problem with the printer in the business center and the assistant manager came and took care of it within minutes. The pool was nice and very clean with some sunny and shaded areas around it. The beach is less than a block away.

The down side is that the place is built on a postage stamp. There is no real lobby to speak of, the reception area and concierge are off to the side of the valet parking area. So it doesn't have a homey, stay a while, atmosphere. And the elevators are TOO small, simply not enough elevator capacity. More than once there was a line for the elevator. Valet parking is $25 a night! Almost the most expensive in Waikiki, as per the prices I saw in a newspaper article while we were there. DO NOT stay on the 4th floor - that is the pool/breakfast level.

Overall we were pleased with our stay. The price was what drew me in, quite reasonable for a two-room suite compared to many single-room hotel rooms, and we were not disappointed. Nearly brand new, clean and comfortable, just a couple blocks from the heart of Waikiki.

• Liked — Room size, quiet atmosphere
  • Disliked — Elevator shortage
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

I did a three night stay at the Embassy Suites Waikiki while attending a wedding.

Pros:

Felt like a very new (or very recently renovated) building, compared to the other hotels in Waikiki. Sit down at registration (and pineapple juice as a welcome apertif) is friendlier than the traditional hotel approach of belly-up-to-the-front-desk.

The room comes with a fridge, a room safe (didn't appear to be big enough to hold a 15" laptop), a microwave and a miniature kitchen sink. There was also complimentary coffee and a package of microwave popcorn.

The fitness room was nicely equipped with a lot of Precor equipment: 4 cross trainer machines, a bike, treadmills, a Nautilus type machine, dumbells from 2 to 50 pounds, Bosu, and exercise balls and weight balls. Each of the Precor machines had built in TVs, so if you bring headphones (or not -- there are ones you can borrow on a shelf along the wall) you could watch the same cable TV channels that you'd see in your room.

They did a nightly turndown service, very thoughtful.

Separate lanais (balconies) for both the "living" room and the bedroom.

You need a valid keycard in order to get up any of the hotel's elevators.

Free phone calls up to 30 minutes in length for local and mainland. If only all hotels did this...

Good & Bad:

Free Internet via Ethernet! This is a very welcome amenity. Caveats, if you tend to run programs that generate a lot of connections (e.g. Skype, or even accessing web pages that have a number of frames within one window), you might bump into the hotel's overwhelmingly severe restrictions on their internet connection. I frequently saw "your service has been slowed down" or "your service has been suspended" web pages instead of the web pages I attempted to open). On the last day of my stay, I chose the "static IP address" option instead of the "standard IP" when logging into the hotel's internet provider and my network problems appeared to go away, so this may be a solution you can try if you have the same problems that I had.

Free Breakfast for all! Free evening Manager's Reception for all! I do not believe the rate you pay actually makes any difference, and that every guest will be able to do both the breakfast & reception (not a single employee at the dining area was checking any key cards or the green slips of paper they handed to me when I checked in). The dining area on the Hula tower's fourth floor terrace is where you'll find your breakfast treats. The breakfast options did not seem to change from day to day, but they did provide Hawaiian music entertainment on stage for a couple of the receptions and breakfasts I made it to. Breakfast runs from 6:30 a.m. and ends a few minutes before 10 a.m. (contrary to the anything the hotel published, which typically state "10:30 a.m.").

Cons:

If you're driving, you will pay big time to park ($25 per day for valet service). Take a taxi or bus if you don't have a need to drive outside of Honolulu (you can probably rent a car from a local agency for cheaper than the airport, if you just wanted to drive for a couple days of your stay).

Construction next door to the Hula tower can be a little loud during the day (they are at the point where they are blowing air horns when the cranes are doing any heavy lifting or dropping stuff down to the ground level). The Trump Tower also spoils the "partial ocean view" of at least the back half of the side of the Hula tower that faces the new building.

I asked for a late checkout and the latest I was able to get was noon (normal checkout time is 11 a.m.). As soon as the clock hit noon, my keycards deactivated. When I asked the front desk about this (as I had left a box in my room while loading up my car), they said all keycards automatically expire at noon on checkout day. So I kind of doubt you can get any late checkout beyond noon, no matter what your Hilton Honors status is (I'm currently Gold). Judging from the number of times the maid attempted to barge into the room the morning I was to check out, the hotel sure seemed to be eager to get rid of me.

Would I stay here again? Yesss... as long as the rate stays competitive with other hotels. The free breakfast and other amenities gives this hotel an edge over the other Waikiki hotels I've stayed at.

• Liked — great location, free amenities that would cost $$$ at other hotels
  • Disliked — breakfast was a little dull; I also felt like they wanted to get rid of me at stay's end
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

We stayed for 7 nights in one of the 1 bed suites. Our family, 2 adults, a 5 yr old and a 2 1/2 yr old thoroughly enjoyed our time at the property.

The location is so central that you can easily explore waikiki from your doorstep.

We were very impressed with the managers cocktail party each night. Open bar for 2 hours with some local entertainment. The included buffet breakfasts were also very nice and were perfect when travelling with a couple of young children.

There are so many good restaurants within 100 metres of the property. For a special occasion you could not go past the service and food at Ruth Chris's Steakhouse next door to the property.

I read a lot of reviews that refer to the construction noise of the Trump Hotel next door. In one week at the property we heard some construction noise when we were at the pool once and this was only minor.

Other reviews also talk about the noise from the elevators. Our room was across the hall from the elevator doors and we heard no noise whatsoever from the lifts.

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — Going home
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

We just returned from 8 days at the Embassy Suites Waikiki Beachwalk and could not have had a better experience, especially with a one bedroom suite, complimentary cooked breakfast and cocktails for the rate we paid. We stayed at the Moana Surfrider the last time we were in Honolulu and Embassy Suites was by far a better property.

Everyone there was most helpful and friendly. But to be honest, we found practically EVERYONE in Honolulu to be like this. It was amazing.

We asked for a room not next to the lifts and on a high level and we got it. One reviewer said that breakfast was a bit like Disneyland and yes, it was quite crowded and hectic, but the staff cleared the tables quickly and there was always a ton of food. They also changed things around, e.g. sometimes waffles, other times french toast. (The waffles were just a bit dry, the french toast was excellent - and both times there was warm maple syrup available).

My 10 year old befriended the omelette maker who made impressive omelettes.

I loved the fact that we had the choice of either sending our clothes to the laundering service or using their well-equipped and well-priced laundry. I loathe spending over $1 to have a pair of underpants washed!

The only thing that I would recommend to the hotel is to provide a retractable drying line in the bathroom over the bathtub.

The location of this hotel is great. We could get every where we wanted on foot or by car. And there is a wonderful variety of food, in all price ranges within walking distance. And great shopping! Would definitely stay here again and have been recommending it to everyone.

We didn't want to leave.

• Liked — Great service including free internet access in the business center, free phone calls throughout Hawaii and the Mainland (up to 30 minutes), the cooked breakfast, Manager's cocktails - friendly staff!!
  • Disliked — The absence of a retractable drying line in the bathroom - hardly a problem really
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
orange county, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

I stayed at the Embasy Suites on Monday, August 18th. I had read the trip advisor comments and look forward to my visit. I wanted to stay at my first hotel choice so I called to see about a cancellation. The hotel said no due to the less than seventy two hour notice. However, they told me the hotel was "over booked" and they were sending guest to other hotel properties. I said, I am willing to give up my room so another guest will not have to be moved. She looked up my reservation and saw that I was not one of the guest that was forced to move. The hotel allowed a guest to be moved, after I agreed to give up my hotel room. I would check if you book this location during high season that you will not be moved to a different locaction because the hotel was over booked. I went early to do my check in -and both times on the phone and in person-the ladies were just short and rude-everything is black and white with their responses to you. I asked for my check in package to review for any interesting deals, since I was not going to be there until later. The package was not available. I check in later and found out that Roy's had this awesome deal-$39.50 for a three course meal! I was so upset they did not give this to me earlier-I took my time to get my package-and found out only from five to six you could take advantage of the discounted price-that would have been good news to know-Also-your benefits only are offered during the exact time of staying-not a moment before or after-I wanted to know after I checked in-can I go to breakfast-nope-your room is not ready until later-you can not take advantage of benefits until check in time at 3 pm. I went to the managers reception-you literally receive a few raw vegetables and chips and salsa-no island fruit-I thought the caliber of the hotel could have been better-the manager was asking for a coupon that is needed to show for the reception-only to me-the guest in front of me-he said-how was your stay-anything that I can do for you-so-if you are older-no problem-you will be treated fine-if you have good genes and are older, but look younger-he treats you different-the drinks-if you are a well drink or beer person-unilimited drinks for you-but wine person-do not bother-two buck chuck would have been a better choice than what they served-the room is comfortable-functional-flat screen in both the bedroom and sitting room-but noisy-from outside and with people next door-you can hear-plus-no views from the hotel-unless you were pretty high-I would not recommend because other places give you more bang for your buck-but the morning buffet-you have everything-plenty of food=and the bell men-they are the best-I loved them-they were so friendly-and helped me with keeping my bags-my over all impression-not focus on customer service-I use this website all the time-I hope my honest opinion helps another person-I am also a hilton honors member-another reason for staying-and if you are one-they have nothing to give you here

Stayed August 2008
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

This was our second stay at the Embassy Suites Beach Walk. The first stay (summer 2007) was better than our recent visit.

What we like: relatively spacious rooms, new hotel, close to shopping and restaurants, close to beach, nice breakfast

Dislikes:
1. Trump tower construction noise is a modest annoyance during breakfast and occasionally caused stopped traffic on the only access road to the hotel
2. Concierge desk (in lobby, and next to the breakfast area) will not give honest opinions and good guidance because they are actually working for themselves via kickbacks. Case in point: one concierge at breakfast tried to sell surfing lessons for $70 (and tried a pressure-sale by saying that the lessons were almost sold out), when you can actually walk-up and get lessons at multiple locations for $40).
3. We had a smoker in an adjoining room, and the hotel staff would not track him down and make him stop. We had to switch rooms, and lost a view of Diamondhead and beach in the process. The manager did discount our room rate though.
4. The southern tower is better than the northern tower (forgot the names of each tower). The northern tower only has 2 elevators, so you have no choice but to cram as many people in as possible, or never leave your floor!

Advice:
1. select the southern tower if possible
2. ask the bellhops or the valet parking staff for guidance instead of the concierge staff! Unlike the concierge, they were very helpful. The valet staff are especially nice.

Stayed August 2008

Been to Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk? Share your experiences!