“Good hotel, great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Receive $100 Beach Bucks
Ranked #7 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Portland, Michigan
“Good hotel, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in April 2012. The hotel was in a prime location in downtown Waikiki, located steps away from the beach, restaurants, and shopping. Our room had a living room, kitchenette (table/chairs, sink, microwave, mini-fridge), and separate bedroom. There was a small patio with chairs that you could get to from both the livingroom and bedroom doors. We opted to not pay the extra price for an ocean view room but we had a decent view of the city skyline. Rooms were clean (although a little worn), and beds were comfy. Staff was very friendly. We took advantage of the free breakfast each morning, which included made to order omelettes, fruits, bagels, muffins, yogurt, bacon, sausage, cereals, and lots more. The food was good, although the menu stayed the same every day. They also had a a Manager’s Reception each evening which included free drinks, snacks and live music most nights. The snacks were pretty minimal – pretzels, tortilla chips and salsa, hot cheese, fish crackers, potato chips, and nuts -- not all at the same time, just a basic mix of the above each evening. Drinks were a couple kinds of draft beer and assorted mixed drinks. We waited in line for one drink, which we tossed out after a couple sips -- husband didn't like the choice of draft beer and I did not like my mixed drink. From then on we just wandered through on our way to dinner and grabbed a handful of pretzel to eat on our journey, or stayed for a few songs from the band. The hotel had a Roy's restaurant which was pretty pricey (but then, everything in Hawaii was). I think there was another restaurant as well, but there were so many other restaurants within walking distance as well as lots of shopping. Pool was a bit small, but we didn't spend much time there.

We booked several excursions during our week stay in Waikiki:
- Pearl Harbor, USS Missouri, USS Arizona Memorial, and a drive by of the Punchbowl with Polynesian Adventure Tour. I would recommend this tour and company.
- Rainforest hike to view a waterfall with Oahu Nature Tours. I would recommend this tour but NOT if you are also visiting the Island of Hawaii. There are much more spectacular waterfalls there for much lest cost to visit.
- Starlight Luau at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I chose this luau because of the complaints about the food at most of the other ones. It was just a short walk from our hotel to the 6th floor rooftop of the Hilton. Food was great and LOTS of it to choose from. The show was entertaining.
- 6 hour kayak/snorkeling trip with Two-Good Kayaks. This adventure was by far the most memorable. If you book this trip, be sure to request KEVIN as your guide -- he was fun, very knowledgeable, and safety minded.
- Hiked to the top of Diamond Head Crater. This was a free excursion for us. We opted to walk to Diamond Head from our hotel which took us about an hour, uphill most of the way. Not sure I would recommend walking from our hotel -- we were pooped by the time we got to our destination, then we still had to climb to the top of the crater which was about 1.6 miles round trip. It took us another hour to climb to the top and back down. Well worth it though.
All in all, a decent hotel, but the area is VERY VERY touristy with lots of shopping, restaurants, and hotels. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
bob_yeoman, General Manager at Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Aloha and thank you for posting a thorough review! Thank you too, for choosing Embassy Suites Waikiki as your vacation destination. Isn't our location the best? So many of our guests have repeatedly acknowledged the fact that we're surrounded by so many restaurants and shops and the best was that the beach are steps away. Like you, many have raved about the cleanliness of the rooms, spacious suites, yummy comp breakfast and cheery Manager's reception. You detailed experiences are awesome. We welcome you back to Hawai'i and hope that once again, Embassy Suites will be your destination of choice.
Until then, Aloha

1,700 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Korean first
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have never written two reviews on any place before this. I love this hotel. We were satifisfied with our visit in 2010 that we selected it again.
The staff at this hotel is awesome. We loved all the folks that worked the breakfast area. Always checking to see if we needed anything and that included the manager talking to us as well. They are great for ideas on things to do as well.
You can't beat the breakfast at this property. It's by far still the best hotel breakfast I've ever had. The made to order omlette's are so good. They give you many choices to add to your omlette.
The only downfall we had this visit was our room location. I was travelling on government orders so I knew I wouldn't get a high view room. I did ask and was able to get the 12th floor in the Hula Tower, but it was next to the elevator. We thought about asking for a room change after the first night but enjoyed our view so much we decided to live with it. Luckily it wasn't too bad, but I also use ear plugs. The 3 elevators are very busy.
Even though this hotel is not directly on the beach it is close enough and very close to everything else you need.
I'm disappointed I have to come back for work again next month and can't get the government rate during that time so I have to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for the Hula Tower and a high floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Alooooohaaaa! Thank you for taking the time to post an awesome review. It is so encouraging and inspiring to hear that your experience here at Embassy Suites Waikiki has exceeded your expecations. Thank you for being our guest. We sincerely look forward to your next holiday with us.
Aloha a hui hou (until we meet again)
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

OMG...It was totally amazing!! We should have planned to stay longer! I truly was blown away!! The air quality, the friendlyness of the people and feeling so safe on the island of Oahu in Waikiki! The food was great, the Dance Clubs were off the chain, Sharkey's was hilarious and the Tours fun and very educational!! Also to see the island on our own time, we rented a White Mustang Convertible and drove down to the Dole Plantation,with the wind blowing in our hair!!!! We road the Train Express to view the plantation!! We also visited the peaceful, quite and uncrowded Haleiwa Beach, a great change from the Waikiki Beach!! The Yard, Hula Grill and Paradise Cove is a must!! If you want to let your hair down and get your grove on..you must check out Rumours which is dancing for the young and aged at the Ala Moana!
Everyone walking around at night with no worries and if felt so safe!! I just can't say enough about my trip to Hawaii, other than you must go and experience this greatness for yourself!! You will definitely say at the end of your visit, "WOW WE SHOULD HAVE STAYED LONGER!!" I saved the best for last!! The Embassy Suites are just what everyone needs on vacation!! A Cook To Order Breakfast every morning, a nice cocktail (Mai'Tai) or soda with a little snack in the evening with live entertainment! All complimentary to the guests!! If you can get the Oceanview, this is a beautiful site to see every morning! But with the Oceanview you get a great view of the Fireworks every Friday night on your lanai!( balcony)
I must truly thank the Staff and the Concierge for all their help and precise directions to the Dole Plantation! This trip was with my friend/traveling buddy, but I would love to go back with my Husband, just to put a spin on it!! I enjoyed myself and truly look forward to returning and doing it all again!! To all viewers if you like my views.. send me a message.. the meaning of (Malama Pono)~,~
Aloha and hang loose!!
(shaking pinky and thumb hand sign in the air!! wink~,*

Room Tip: Oceanview or the side to see the fireworks on Fridays from your balcony with a mai tai!! And asked f...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Mahalo for posting a great review! I could "hear" the excitement in your descriptive review. Thank you! I am proud that you found Embassy Suites to be your home away from home as you ventured out to explore this beautiful island. Isn't it just wonderful to come back from a long day of adventure and be refreshed by complimentary drinks and snacks at our Manager's Reception then plunge into our comfy suite beds? Lo and behold! Your day of exploring begins with an energetic comp breakfast giving you time to bond with family and friends and plan for the day ahead. What a great plan! Mahalo for sharing!
Aloha,
General Managers
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

As a person who travels quite a bit you forget how easy and comfortable a good hotel can be until you stay at a place like Embassy Suites - Wakiki. Traveling with a family (for a reunion of sorts) can be challenging but the free breakfasts, comfortable suites, adequate happy hour, close proximity to ocean and Beach Walk makes this a hotel with something for everyone.

Comfy beds, sparkling clean bathrooms and the welcome space that a suite-styled hotel filled with a fridge, microwave and coffee provides, we happily stayed for six nights.

Be sure to ask for a high floor with an ocean view (Waikiki can be noisy) and enjoy the great llocation. And if you need anything simply ask the helpful and eager to please staff.

Thanks Waikiki Embassy for making my family trip a success.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
bob_yeoman, General Manager at Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Greetings from Paradise! Mahalo for choosing Embassy Suites as your destination of choice to celebrate family. Moreso, thank you for posting a wonderful review. Here in Hawai`i it is part of our culture to honor families so here at Embassy Suties Waikiki, we strive to make a difference in the lives of others through the sincere value of Aloha. Thank you for recognizing the awesome location, comfy and spacious suites, yummy food and our helpful and friendly staff. Thank you for being our guest. From our family to yours....Aloha!
North York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed at the Embassy Suites from April 10-15, 2012. My suite was on the 16th floor with a partial ocean view in the Aloha Tower. Check-in was fast and friendly and the cold fruit juice was welcomed after a very long flight. The view from the balcony encompassed everything - to the left was the ocean, in front was another hotel and the skyline, and to the right were the mountains. I had a one-bedroom suite and the suite was large and clean. The mini kitchen was an asset (fridge, microwave, kettle, sink). Making a cup of tea in the suite after a long day of sightseeing was a great benefit. I had a king size bed and although the bed was softer than I normally would like, it was just what the doctor ordered after long and physical sightseeing days. You could hear the traffic noise in the room with the balcony doors closed (I figured this was because the hotels are so close together that the sound has no where to go but up) but it didn’t prevent me from having a good night’s sleep.

The breakfast buffet had lots of choices (cereal, the omelette bar, bacon and eggs, pancakes, yogurt, etc.) The only problem I had with it was that the drinks (coffee, tea, milk, juices) were not in the same area as the food. You had to go to where the seating was to get your drinks. It just didn’t flow well in my opinion.

The hotel is in an excellent area with lots of shops (high end and not so high end) and restaurants. The beach is a short walk to the left of the hotel. I was so busy sightseeing that I did not get a chance to spend any time on the beach. I did, however, spend a couple of days poolside. The pool is not Olympic size but big enough to swim and cool down. The food and drinks from the Pakini Bar were excellent and I must give a shout out to Michalena (I hope I spelled her name correctly). She was run off her feet the entire week but always had a smile and spent time talking with the guests. Another shout out goes to Keoni at Bell Service. He was very friendly and assisted me with directions on where to get the various modes of transportation I took during my stay (I did not rent a car). The Manager’s Reception was very nice – the drinks cold and tasty and there were snacks available. The staff at the Embassy Suites were always friendly and willing to assist you when needed and they are indeed Embassy Suites’ best asset.

I travelled solo and at no time was safety and security an issue. On the Beach Walk there is security everywhere, especially at night.

If I were to return to Honolulu I would definitely stay at the Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk.

Room Tip: A suite on a higher floor provides better views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Aloha to you and mahalo for posting a charming review. I love that you mentioned feeling safe and secure here, especially if you're traveling alone. We are adamant about the safety of our guests and are very grateful that the Security office is located at our property. Thank you for recognizing our gracious and engaging staff as being our best asset. I will definitely extend your compliments to all. It makes me proud to know that we exceeded your expectations and look forward to your next visit. Until then...Aloha a hui hou!
Until we meet again -
Sydney, australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is a lovely hotel in a great location. We are a family of five so finding a hotel where we only needed one room is fantastic.It was a squeeze but for the price! Welcome drink on arrival, free cocktails by the pool in the afternoon, and a buffet breakfast all included. Valet parking only expensive part of the stay at $30/day. Staff were wondeful would recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
bob_yeoman, General Manager at Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Hello! Mahalo for posting a charming review. I love your short and suite message!
Thank you for staying with us. We love hosting families and am proud that we exceeded your Embassy Experience expectations. We honor your celebration of family! We honor you our guest!
Aloha a hui hou, until we meet again -
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Pros:
-Spacious suite with separate living room, couch, sink, mini-fridge, balcony, 2 TVs.
-Buffet breakfast (made to order omelette station, fresh fruit, juices, muffins, pancakes/waffles, salad, sausage, bacon, etc)
-Great location: 1-2 blocks from Waikiki beach, Waikiki Beach Walk (nice shops and lots of places to eat - Yardhouse, Roy's, nearby malls), ABC store and Starbucks (right across the street for food or anything forgotten)
-Friendly, warm staff (valet bringing our luggage to the room had great tips and open to answering all our questions, Expedia concierge - Ulrich, service staff at buffet were very helpful since I had 2 little ones with me)
-Nice run (once you get to Waikiki beach towards the base of Diamond Head)

Cons:
-Parking is $25-30 overnight and only valet. (This is normal since you are in the city. Try to rent a car by the day and not park overnight. Concierge helped us with that.)
-WiFi only on lobby floor and one other floor
-Plain room decor
-Price at $350/night (but daily buffet breakfast, great location, and spacious room makes up for that for us)

Room Tip: -Request Aloha tower -If booked in Hula Tower, avoid 4th floor where everyone walks to get to pool...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to post a detailed review. Your feedback is significant to us and is much appreciated. I am always delighted to hear that our friendly staff, amazing location, spacious suites and delicious breakfast entices many guests to return. We hope that you would do the same. Mahalo for the great travel tips especially suggesting a good running route. We are honored that you chose Embassy to celebrate your family!
Aloha a hui hou, until we meet again
Bob Yeoman

Been to Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk? Share your experiences!