“Relaxing-great service, but nothing special” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Renew by Aston

Save Saved
You added Hotel Renew by Aston to your Saves list
Hotel Renew by Aston
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Paoakalani Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Offers & Announcements
Exclusive 15% Off - $169
Ranked #13 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Auckland
“Relaxing-great service, but nothing special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

A smaller "boutique" hotel. We stayed here just as a change from the other beachfront hotels we had been in for the rest of our trip. It was clean, comfortable and had friendly helpful staff. However, we didn't think it was as special as some of the reviews had suggested.
The rooms were fine, but small, and the whole hotel was very dark. I think they kept light muted to try and make it feel relaxing, but it was a little too dark. I had to use my torch to see well enough to read at night!
There was quite a lot of street noise, which was strange for a hotel set back from the main road as we had not found it noisy in our previous hotel right on the beachfront!
Breakfast was complimentary but we only ate it once as it was just sweet pastries and muffins-not really our cup of tea first thing in the morning!
The best thing was their hospitality room which we used before our late flight out. It was great to be able to rest for an hour and have a shower before flying out, A fantastic service!
All in all, a nice hotel, but you could be in any small hotel in any city .If you want a taste of Hawaii, and a bit of character, then go somewhere else!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

1,754 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were only average, clean enough but noisy from the street below. Staff were very friendly, helpful but not very well groomed. Reception was dull and not big enough especially at breakfast. Room was serviced very early and done well. We didnt have enough light and couldnt read in the room which was very dark even during the day.The breakfast was poor and coffee only average. We went out for breakfast after the first morning. Good to have towels and chairs etc for the beach. Beach wasn't good as the rocks curtailed swimming. We had five nights here and then went to Waikiki Prince at the Ala Moana end of Waikiki for five nights.. Price was similar but far superior and much nicer location. We wished we had stayed there for the entire stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
plouie, Manager at Hotel Renew by Aston, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear SallyandPeter,
Aloha and mahalo for choosing Hotel Renew for your travels to beautiful Oahu. I sincerely appreciate that you took the time to post feedback in regards to your recent stay.
On one hand, I am happy to read that housekeeping were up to standards and done well. On the other hand, I am disappointed to read our amenities and was not accommodating. With your feedback, I will be sure to focus improvement in those particular areas that are lacking.

In spite of everything, I hope you had a relaxing time here on Oahu. Thank you again and take care.

Warmest Mahalo,
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This smaller hotel is just half a block from the beach and very comfortable.Very friendly staff.Complimentary coffee,juice and muffins etc in the morning was appreciated.Also they offered a use of a hospitality room as our fight was in the evening which gave us a chance to freshen up.A very thoughtful service.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 6 eg 306,406 etc are corner rooms which have a small balcony
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

we stayed in this hotel for one night. Hotel is very centric almost in waikiki beach, it is average but not big deal, if you have high expectations; hotel rooms smell humid and are extremely dark and old. Staff is friendly and it is ok to spend one night, however hotel is expensive for what they offer,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Rosario A,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Renew for your short stop over here on Oahu. I greatly appreciate that you took the time to comment on your recent visit.
Being such a small property we don’t offer many amenities that other resorts have to offer. I do apologize that our property may not have been what you were expecting.
Again, thank you for staying at Renew. In spite of everything I hope your time here on Oahu was great one.

Warmest Mahalo,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

After reading so many postive reviews on trip advisor, we decided to stay at Hotel Renew end of March 2013. We booked a city view double room so we weren't expecting much as the room was concerned. We also knew that this was a boutique hotel and did not have all the stuff a resort hotel would have.
First stop was picking up our rental car at enterprise which was fast and off to our hotel we go, which was about 25 minutes from the airport. We pulled up out front and I ran in and checked in. It was before normal check in time and was still able to check in which was nice. Was also given drinks and cool towels. Now, I hate the reviews about the valet cost of 25 dollars. That is standard price in Waikiki!! Know this before u go. So, after a quick drive around a few blocks, i see plenty of street parking up the block by the zoo. I'd say about 4 blocks from the hotel. We parked there all week long and saved Around 200 dollars just on valet parking. I didn't mind walking a few blocks, some days it was only 2 block walk. I suggest if u stay here park by the zoo and save!! There were no issues with break ins or parking tickets.
Ok, onto the room. We walk into the room and to my surprise they gave us a balcony room with partial ocean view!! So the trip started off great! Room was very modern looking, unlike other hotels I've stayed at in Hawaii. No bright colors... Was darker with dim lighting and very modern looking. This is what i was looking for. Room was spotless and clean. Bed was very comfortable and bathroom spotless. Water pressure in bathroom was not so great but not major deal. Water was always Hott. Room was cleaned everyday. Oh and free wi fi for each room. This was nice as other hotels charge hotel fee everyday. This hotel does not. Ac in room worked ice cold and was quiet! Also was cold fridge in room which was nice.

Breakfast was served every morning, it was muffins and pastries with coffee and orange juice. Was good to put something in stomach before we ran out in morning. I don't know why people complain cause they didn't have to put anything out and it's Free!!

Bar was small but atleast they had one. Happy hour was from 530-730 with reall decent prices drinks. Martinis for 6 dollars during happy hour can't beat that.

Chairs and towels were given at request without questions asked from front desk. So when you leave for beach grab chairs towels boogie boards or what ever u need and no extra cost or signing for them. Front desk was very very nice and helpful, can't say one thing bad.

Sounds great right? Now here are the cons.
The ONLY reason this hotel did not get 5 stars all around was because of the location. Yes it is within one block of beach which is ideal. Yet it still in bad location? This is due to 1) The Homeless at this end of Waikiki beach and 2) The noise of the block the hotel is on....I must say I've never seen so many homeless in my life. They are sleeping within view from balcony ( check the photos tab) I posted pictures. Not something u want to see when u step out on the balcony in paradise. Clean up the street I don't understand it. I would think the street is hotel property and they are set up all over. As you walk up Waikiki beach towards the Hilton hawaiin village the homeless decrease on the street. Down toward the zoo they increase drastically. Though only a few bothered us by asking for money. You still do not want to see!! I mean literally every ten feet someone sleeping on floor. Ok now onto the noise, this hotel is on a busy busy street. Tour pickups out front, traffic, loading bay directly across street with constant all day deliveries. I also posted pictures from view of balcony of the traffic. The noise ended around 10-11 pm ish and was ok overnight sleeping. I always slept fine. Some beeping of trucks backing up around 6am but we always up early so not major ordeal. But during day was unbearable. Balcony was unusable. The refrigerators of trucks running overpowered any conversation on balcony. Could not even hear anything but refrigerators at some times. When u shut all the doors in room it silenced it pretty much. We went out all day so wasn't major issue unless u stayed at hotel all day.

Check out was easy and at 12 noon. Our flight was late so they have a room to shower and change after beach before u head to airport which was fantastic.

Other than that it was a wonderful stay. Id deff atay at this hotel again if it was in a different spot on waikiki. This is really only because of the homeless located in that area. Not something u want to see everywhere in "paradise".

Notes:

Abc store right next door. Pricey but convenient.
Hawaiin style scooter rental up block.
Teddy bigger burgers up block "best burger in town and cheap"!!!
Zoo up block.
Diamond head less then mile a way.
Less then block to Waikiki beach
Right in the tourist section of waikiki, everything in walking distance.
Street parking in area

• Stayed March 2013
Oahu, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Hotel Renew with our pets. The choice of places to stay on island with pets seems to have dwindled down to just this hotel. I went in with visions of a great boutique hotel and a wonderful experience for all of us.

The booking was fairly easy on the phone. When I was told of the room rate, I asked about military rates and they said they were cheaper by about $50. However upon arrival, we learned that our room rate without taxes and fees was $212. On top of taxes, we had to pay valet parking and pet fees. In total over $300 - this is for ONE night.

The experience started well. Cold pineapple juice and cool rags were placed in front of us upon check in. The staff was luke warm at best though. Just seemed to be going through the motions, not a hint of pleasantries.

Off to the room we go... I was so impressed that they had two dog beds, water bowls and treats for our little fur babies. The room was nicely decorated too. But then the smell hit us! Wow, it was bad and strong. Maybe a cross between BO and urine? We even went to the closest ABC store for air freshener which never even touched whatever odor that was in there...

The best part is that we paid $25 for valet parking only to find my car parked in a small alley way by the street. It was right out in the open, had I known that, I would have just street parked for free!

We had a horrible night's sleep. I am just amazed that someone has not figured out a better place for their pet friendly rooms! They put us on the second floor right by the elevator. So not only are we getting the horrific street noise but all the traffic noise from our floor. We were up all night trying to convince our dogs that all the noise was okay so they would not bark. For future guests, maybe consider a higher floor AWAY for the elevators. Just makes sense!

The walls are paper thin too! We heard the neighboring room's AC turning off and on, chatter and even heard a woman giving out her personal credit card information over the phone. We heard every single number. She may as well have been in the same room! Bring ear plugs if you have any hopes of sleeping...

With the amount of money we paid for the room, we expected a decent continental breakfast. Nope, 3 pastry types, coffee, the same pineapple juice as upon checkin. That's it. We found something to eat out.

Pros:
Pineapple juice and cool towels upon check in
Beautiful lobby and entry way
Great location, a block from the beach

Cons:
Luke warm reception and never any greetings as we came and went from the hotel
Smelly room
Old style dirty feel hallways, looks unkept
Paper thin walls
$25 valet parking that really was almost street parking
Noisy room
Crappy excuse for breakfast

Bottom line: While at first the hotel seemed nice and I appreciate them accepting pets - this was the worst hotel stay I have had anywhere. I guess I went in with high expectations given the online reviews and the price. I would say if you have a choice, unlike we did, you are better off staying somewhere else. We will not be back and I would never recommend it to anyone. The only reason I gave 2 stars is because I was able to muster a few pros.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed at City View One Double room for 1 night and City View Two Double room for 2 nights. Friendly staff and good location. They sent us a cheese and cracker plate for my mother's birthday, which was very nice of them. However, I was pretty disgusted by dirty bathrooms (yes, both rooms). What do I mean by 'dirty'? MILDEW and funky smell. It was a big disappointment especially since we were satisfied with other aspects of our stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
plouie, Manager at Hotel Renew by Aston, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Catsinbrooklyn,
Aloha and thank you for choosing Hotel Renew for your recent travels to beautiful Oahu. I greatly appreciate that you took the time to post comments about our accomodations here at Renew.
I would like to address your concern. The condition you found the bathroom to be is not the norm and is definately an isolated case. I will be certain to ensure such incidents do not happen again and implement new procedures to further avoid such cases. Nonetheless, please accept my sincere apology for the poor condition of the inconvenience of it.
In spite of the above, I hope you and your mom enjoyed your time here on Oahu. We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Warmest Mahalo
D. Sakakibara

Been to Hotel Renew by Aston? Share your experiences!