“Poor 'boutique hotel'” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Renew

You added Hotel Renew to your Saves list
Hotel Renew
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Paoakalani Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #17 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Melbourne, Australia
“Poor 'boutique hotel'”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Location and staff are excellent but the hotel itself was not value for money. If the interior looked as nice in the rooms and corridors as it does in the lobby, it would be much nicer.

First room - One day when we were out a panel fell off the window shutters, knocking over a lamp and some of our belongings. Then the air conditioner stopped working after a few days and we were transferred to a second room.. which ended up being worse than the first.

Second room - had a smaller TV than the first, shower/bath plug was blocked so we would shower in ankle deep water and window shutters could not close properly. Hotel room service also woke us up one morning at 8.30am and was politely told to return after a few hours.

Complimentary continental breakfast is just 3-4 different types of pastries and juice/coffee/tea.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
plouie, Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear JW123246,
We appreciate that you chose to stay at Hotel Renew and for taking the time to post feedback in regards to your recent stay. It is with guests feedback that we can focus on areas that need improvement to better serve guests needs.

I am greatly pleased to read that the location and staff was beneficial and helpful. Our staff certainly always try to go above and beyond expecations.

I am very saddened to hear about the inconveniences you had encountered during your time here. We always try to do our utmost best to correct problems and concerns that guest encounter. Should we have been advised of the room issues, I assure you that corrective action would have been taken immediately. I would like to extend my apologies for having to endure such inconveniences.

In spite of above mentioned, I sincerely hope that your time here on Oahu was a great one. Thank you again for choosing Renew. Happy holidays to you.

Warmest Aloha,
-Michael Otto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

When I started looking at options for my Hawaii trip, I turned to tripadvisor to help plan and select my hotels. I was not disappointed.

Our first stop was Oahu and the Hotel Renew. The staff was wonderful and being small, recognized us as we pulled our rental car up to the curb.

Room size was great and the decor looked brand new and clean. We had the ocean view room but it wasn't much to worry about. I wouldn't pay for that view if we stayed here again. Next time, we would probably try for something with a balcony so we can sit outside and drink our beverages we purchased at the nearby ABC store (You are always around one on Wakiki beach! They are EVERYWHERE!).

Location was great. We walked down the main strip to where most of the restaurants and shopping was located. I would recommend but if you like sitting on a balcony at night, you "may" be able to find something that will work but the price would be higher.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was here for 8 days (mixture of business and pleasure). Let me tell you that you will not be disappointed! First, the location is unbeatable. You are literally steps away from Waikiki beach! I walked down to the oceanfront every afternoon to watch the sun set!

Second, the facilities are amazing! Hotel Renew is a great boutique hotel that is beautifully designed and has quite a welcoming atmosphere. Upon check-in, I was greeted with a fresh glass of pineapple juice and a chilled hand towel to cool my face and neck. The lobby (and the smiles from the front desk staff) are warm and inviting. The lounge area where continental breakfast (complimentary) is served is as relaxing as the plush king-sized bed I slept on!

Last, you will never find a staff so friendly or attentive! I was more than just a guest. The best part about my eight-day stay was that I felt like a family member my entire stay. Yes, the beaches and weather are special. But, it is the staff that makes me want to return. If I ever find myself back in Honolulu, I will not consider staying anywhere else but Hotel Renew!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Grand Prairie, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Loved the staff, location, and rooms. Just wish there was some room service, but this is to be expected with a non chain brand. Great contemporary feel. Just a few steps from beach and conveniences. Friendly and clean.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed here for our Honeymoon. Was absolutely excellent. Being a smaller hotel you get personal service which my wife and I loved. have to give a big thank you to the guys down stairs: Adam, Daniel, Mike & Paul. There was never anything to hard or to big for them. Made our stay Alot more pleasant. Also to Kasi, the drinks she mixed were outstanding to the point I cant wait to show Australia some of her mixes. Thanks guys was outstanding.

Mr & Mrs Ayoub.

Redmond, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was my first trip to Hawaii, and my friend and I chose to stay at Hotel Renew. We really enjoyed our stay and congratulated ourselves each day on our choice. :)

Checkin begins with fresh pineapple juice, hand towels, and a tour of your room from the bell staff. There were so many little things to like about the room: comfy beds, zone lighting controllable from 4 places inside the room, including both sides of the bed; big bathroom and special bathroom night lighting, entryway drawers and suitcase stands, plentiful outlets all around, and an empty minifridge for storing your ABC store purchases or the like. And big things too - each room with its own wireless router and free access? And free breakfast was welcomed if not overwhelmingly impressive.

Plus the free beach lending was great - free use of beach chairs, mats, towels, and boogie boards. Since we were half a block away from the (nicer, quieter end of Waikiki) beach, it made it super easy to hop to the beach whenever we liked. (And free lemon water in the lobby to fill up our bottles before leaving.) The front desk staff was also helpful when we wanted to find a bar or booze cruise.

Cons - well, we were on the 3rd floor and there was no view to speak of, but we didn't come to spend time peering out a window! The elevator's also pretty slow.

Would definitely recommend this hotel, and if life brings us back to Waikiki we'll be back. Thanks Hotel Renew!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Renew. The location couldn't be more ideal. Away from the hubbub of Waikiki but walking distance to it all. A block away from the each and they let you borrow all the beach accessories you could need. There's a small breakfast buffet in the morning to get you going and the can arrange surf lessons or day trips to the North Shore. Highly suggest an ocean view room for obvious reasons.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Hotel Renew? Share your experiences!