“Ahh so good to be back again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Renew

You added Hotel Renew to your Saves list
Hotel Renew
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Paoakalani Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Special Offer
Take 15% Off Your Stay
Ranked #18 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver
“Ahh so good to be back again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This past week was our 3rd visit with the Hotel Renew. We were once again greeted with great service and had a very comfortable stay. We have recommended this boutique property to many friends and family members, and if you like a more initmate/modern/personalized service kind of place, the Hotel Renew is for you. Beds are incredibly comfortable too! We will be back again in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed here for 5 days on our last stop before returning home. Read a number of the reviews and decided to stay at this hotel. Some of the reception staff was lovely, especially Adam. The hotel is boutique style and appears to be a renovated and done up hotel with a few areas showing the cracks since it opened a couple of years ago. We got a city view room as we had previously stayed in an ocean front room in another hotel. The room is on the small side but acceptable. Air-con makes this on and off loud rumble which is quite annoying, sounds like the air con is on its last leg... Bathroom is ok, but beware your items on the shelf separating the sink and toilet may accidentally fall into the toilet when u reach for it on the sink side - design flaw but i guess it makes the bathroom look bigger. Funny do not disturb card which actually says the room is being made up for the next guest so do not disturb... we didn't know whether to use it as a 'do not disturb' card or not... Got woken up by housekeeping at 845am in the morning, not impressed... Beware the walls are actually quite thin - we could hear every word and 'activity' of our neighbours when we walked pass their room in the corridor... Free wifi was good but had to log in every time. We saw the tiny size of the breakfast area so we didn't even take on the free breakfast deal seeing there were all sorts of choices in Waikiki. Good location half a block from the beach and practically right next to the trolley stop. Lovely for hotel to provide beach towels, mats and boogie boards. Overall ok stay but didn't really think it lived up to its No.5 ranking (i guess people with ocean view will probably rank them higher). No kettle =(

Erwin, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This was our first trip to Hawaii so we wanted everything to be special for our 25th wedding anniversary. I felt good about booking Hotel Renew after months of internet research. I was very disappointed! After driving by several times trying to find front entrance to register, I finally called hotel and was told to pull up front and bell man would come out. The staff was very nice and helpful though. Our room was on 4th floor and our view was of parking lot and apartments. The halls was dark and I dont think the hotel had security. The room was too small to spend a week in comfortably. The room was musty smelling and felt damp. The air condition never worked properly. The rooms and halls was very worn and the carpet was gross. Valet parking was 25.00 a day. We changed hotels after 2 days through Expedia. I'm still not sure how much credit I received because we paid ahead.

plouie, Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear tracy b b,
First off, congratulations to you on your 25th wedding anniversary! We greatly appreciate you chose to stay at Hotel Renew for such a special occasion.

I am saddened to read your time here wasn’t as you expected. I do apologize about the room issues. Should the front desk had been informed of the concerns, we would have done all we could to remedy the situation. Parking here in Waikiki is very limited and therefore majority of the hotels offer only valet parking. Our valet fee is $25 while many other properties charge higher rates including Waikiki Beach Marriot at $37, Hyatt Place at $35 and Hilton Prince at $35. I can assure you that our valet service is very quick and efficient than other hotels.

On the other hand, I am pleased that you did find the staff to be nice and helpful. In regards to the credit, we have only charged Expedia the 2 nights that you did stay with us and therefore you should receive credit from Expedia for the other nights.

In spite of the issues, I sincerely hope your time here on Hawaii was a great one. Once again, thank you for choosing Hotel Renew.

Warmest Aloha,
D. Sakakibara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

It was our first time in Hawaii (my wife & I) didn't really know what to expect from the city hotel however it ended up being one our best vacations, as a first time visitor I have to say when you are in a big 5 stars hotel having the best room (if the hotel staff aren't friendly it will ruin your experience) at hotel renew I had one of best experiences (very friendly worm and charming staff) Adam & Michael helped us with almost all of our activities.always smiling and made us feel at home.
Thanks everyone at hotel Renew (we will be back)

• Stayed October 2012
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed for four nights on business in Waikiki and for that it was perfect. Clean, modern room, nicely equipped bathroom, comfy bed, free wifi. The front desk was super helpful from the first call I made to reservations until the day I checked out. Breakfast is free: coffee, tea, juice, fresh pastries. I was on California time so I was up a bit early and they happily got me hot water while they were setting up. I only got to the beach once, but they eagerly provided me with towels and a beach mat. They also had boogie boards. Housekeeping was super efficient and friendly, never bothering me when the Do Not Disturb sign was up, which is VERY important on a business trip when I'm trying to catch a nap before evening meetings/functions. If you're looking for a resort-type hotel, this isn't it for you...there's no room service, no restaurant or pool and it is a half a block walk to the beach. But I was glad to trade that for the lovely room, friendly service and NO moldy smell, which is prevalent in even some of the bigger resort hotels. I also love that you can open the window to let in the warm, fragrant Hawaiian breezes. My only con? Paoakalani Street is on the Trolley route, so it gets quite noisy during the day if you're on the street side. Also, there are a couple of hotels on the corner, one that has a very loud karaoke bar, but that closes at 10pm. Although if you're on the street side, you get a view of the ocean. However, that's Waikiki for you, even at the Sheraton on the beach, the noise down at the bar and on the boardwalk floated up to our room, even on the 10th floor.
I'd stay here again if I had to come back to Waikiki!

Room Tip: As for a higher floor to get away from the noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our two night stay at Hotel Renew was perfect. The hotel is clean and furnished with very modern accents. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The continental breakfast was just enough for us. The location of the hotel is perfect for getting to all of Waikiki's attractions.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We just stayed at The Renew for 5 nights and enjoyed our stay. The location is close to the beach (although we preferred to chill out on the beach outside Duke's) however is a 10 minute walk to the heart of the main area of nice restaurants/shops which is where we would have preffered to stay (personal preference), although the walk is fine - good exercise.
"Continental breakfast" is included however it's not really a continential breakfast - all that was provided is coffee, orange juice and muffins - I was expecting cereal, toast and fruit as well, this was the biggest dissapointment as I then had to find somewhere to eat/pay for breakfast outside of the hotel each day.
The ocean view room was great (I would recommend paying the extra money for the view) - we were in room 906 which also had a balcony. The room was modern, had a comfortable bed, air con, mini fridge, big TV.
The house keeping lady Tina was always lovely.
The front desk staff were very friendly and always really really helpful when recommending places to eat, they also provided you with beach towels, chairs and mats which was complimentary. Once we were checked in to our room we were given a bottle of champagne and a lovely card for our 1 year wedding anniversary - sweet touch.
Happy Hour is from 5.30pm to 7.30pm - I had a nice cocktail for $6.
In summary I think The Renew is great value (minus the breakfast) and would recommend staying here.
Thanks Renew!

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor and definatly pay the extra to stay in a ocean view room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Renew? Share your experiences!