“great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
London, United Kingdom
“great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here during our trip to Honolulu. The hotel is situated at the North end of Waikiki and is a short walk to the nearest beach. We found it to be a great location to get about, a short walk from Ala Moana Centre (a main stop for lots of buses around Oahu) and from the centre of Waikiki, as well as the hotel being on lots of bus routes itself. We were on the third floor with a good sized room, nice bathroom, comfy bed and decent tv. We only used the pool on the last morning as we were at the beach or sightseeing otherwise but this was also clean and the area well maintained. There were lots of places nearby for handy breakfasts and other meals: would recommend 24/7 Wailana Coffee House. The hotel was very clean and staff very friendly, there was also free wifi in the lobby which came in handy. On Thursday there was a complimentary reception in the lobby with a nice cocktail, snacks and live music: this was a nice touch we enjoyed. Would definitely recommend this hotel as a good base for the area and would stay again if lucky enough to come back to Honolulu

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Aloha vanessaB_107:

Mahalo for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay at the Aqua Palms Waikiki.

You definitely described our location to a "T"!

I'm delighted to hear that you will definitely stay with us again on a return visit!

Patty Maher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Korean first
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

When we arrived, we had a pull-out bed and a king. We asked to be switched to two queens and the front desk staff quickly arranged this. Close to restaurants and the Ala Moana Center, the Aqua Palms is in a great location! We stayed here over Christmas and received a Christmas ornament and card from the staff. We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Aloha Lesliebug:

Mahalo for choosing to stay at the Aqua Palms over the Christmas holidays!

I'm delighted to see that the staff was able to accommodate your request for changing rooms.

All of the staff and management of the Aqua Palms Waikiki hope you have a happy, healthy, prosperous 2013 and will give us another opportunity to serve you!

Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Waikiki. I usually stay at the Hale Koa but it was full and was given the option to stay at Aqua Palms. The staff was amazing and very helpful. The room was spacious with a nice bed and a kitchenette but the furniture looked a little bit outdated and in need of replacement. It can be a little bit noisy at night since the hotel is located on the very busy Ala Moana Blvd. The parking garage is so tight that if you have an SUV or a minivan it would be hard for you to park or even drive inside the garage of multiple floors. Overall if you are looking for a good budget hotel in Waikiki this is the one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Aloha JayD2006:

Mahalo for sharing your recent stay at the Aqua Palms.

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. In 2013 we plan on many upgrades to the property including room renovations and updates.

Unfortunately, yes parking is tight but if driving carefully you can fit a smaller SUV.

All of the staff and management hope you have a great 2013 and will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future!

lakeland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Me and my husband stayed at this hotel and fell in love.When we got there the first room was very small and had no balcony.We went to the front desk and they switch us to a much larger room with a balcony and a great view with no problem.The staff was friendly and the maid was like clockwork she came the same time everyday and made sure we had plenty of soap and towels.Everything was within walking distance or on the bus route so we didnt need to rent a car.Overall we really enjoyed our stay hopefully we will be able to come back next year when we bring the kids

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha Ashley M:

Mahalo for sharing your experience at the Aqua Palms Waikiki!

I'm delighted to see that we were able to change your accommodations to something more to your preference.

All of the staff and management look forward to seeing you and your family on your return visit!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at both the Aqua Palms and Aqua Waikiki Pearl on our trip. The Aqua Palms was fairly good. The room was nice and clean but the hallway going to it smelt unpleasantly of deodoriser and the hallway carpet badly in need of replacement. The staff were okay. It is on the outer end of Waikiki. A very safe-seeming area near the Hilton Hotel. On our return to Waikiki, we stayed at the Aqua Pearl - there was no comparison. The Pearl was centrally located - much more convenient for popping back to the hotel during the day. It had much friendlier staff and the carpet was new and clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aloha Jude G:

Happy New Year!

Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience at the Aqua Palms. Yes, we are located on the outskirts of Waikiki which depending on the visitor is a prime location.

We have many upgrades planned for the property in 2013 one of which is new hallway carpeting and room renovations.

All of the staff and management hope you enjoyed your stay and will afford us another opportunity to serve you again the future.

Bellingham, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed for 17 nights first room had queen bed instead of king like stated in reservation..the hotel gladly changed room next morning for room with king. Checked out after 17 nights my flight didnt leave till late pm so hotel gladly held bags till I went to airport.....I asked front desk if hotel had area to change my clothes before going to airport and front desk gal pointed me to the direction of public restroom....GROSS.......after spending $2200.00 this is the thanx I get....Will find someplace else in June to stay

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Aloha sixeight764:

Mahalo for writing a review regarding your recent stay at the Aqua Palms.

I apologize that we were not able to accommodate you with a changing room before your departure. Due to our high occupancy we did not have any rooms available for you to change.

I'm disappointed to see that this changed your mind about our property and that you are looking to stay elsewhere for a future stay.

If you contact me directly for your next reservation, I would be happy to assist and accommodate your needs.

Wishing you and your family a happy, healthy holiday season!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I arrived to the Aqua Palms for business after a mini vacation on Kailua Beach. I was on a business budget and chose the AP because of reviews and cost. I wasn't expecting the Hilton (where I stayed the last two years) and knew that it wouldn't have the amenities of a full resort.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear I was given a room on the penthouse floor. I was even more pleased that from the balcony I could see the ocean and Diamond Head. It wasn't a suite and it wasn't fancy, it showed some wear, but it was very clean, was exactly where I wanted to be in Waikiki, had a comfortable bed, a mini kitchen nook, and again had a great view.

Around 8:00 p.m. I heard a jackhammer and saw a construction crew right below my window on Ala Moana. I called the front desk to see if they knew how long it might last since my body was on a 5 hour time difference. He called me back to say that it was going to last for 2 1/2 more hours. Yikes! I shared my concern about getting to sleep and he called back asking if it would be ok to move me to another room on the back side on the same floor. Since I had already spent 4 days in Kailua Beach, I wasn't concerned about a view. To my surprise, I was upgraded to a very nice 3 room suite with a full stainless steel kitchen that had granite counters. The living room had a comfy leather couch and I had a separate bedroom designed in darker woods. I slept like a baby in the soft, yet supportive bed. I appreciated having free internet and a safe to lock up laptop and purse. I asked for a late check-out on my third day and was given it.

The woman who cleaned my room was accommodating to some of my particular requests. The front desk staff and concierge were friendly and helpful. The staff more than met my needs and for that I am thankful. I you are on a budget, this is the place to choose.

Room Tip: Forget getting a room with ocean views since you can walk across the street and be there in 5 minute...