“Thank You Jackhammer!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Thank You Jackhammer!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I arrived to the Aqua Palms for business after a mini vacation on Kailua Beach. I was on a business budget and chose the AP because of reviews and cost. I wasn't expecting the Hilton (where I stayed the last two years) and knew that it wouldn't have the amenities of a full resort.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear I was given a room on the penthouse floor. I was even more pleased that from the balcony I could see the ocean and Diamond Head. It wasn't a suite and it wasn't fancy, it showed some wear, but it was very clean, was exactly where I wanted to be in Waikiki, had a comfortable bed, a mini kitchen nook, and again had a great view.

Around 8:00 p.m. I heard a jackhammer and saw a construction crew right below my window on Ala Moana. I called the front desk to see if they knew how long it might last since my body was on a 5 hour time difference. He called me back to say that it was going to last for 2 1/2 more hours. Yikes! I shared my concern about getting to sleep and he called back asking if it would be ok to move me to another room on the back side on the same floor. Since I had already spent 4 days in Kailua Beach, I wasn't concerned about a view. To my surprise, I was upgraded to a very nice 3 room suite with a full stainless steel kitchen that had granite counters. The living room had a comfy leather couch and I had a separate bedroom designed in darker woods. I slept like a baby in the soft, yet supportive bed. I appreciated having free internet and a safe to lock up laptop and purse. I asked for a late check-out on my third day and was given it.

The woman who cleaned my room was accommodating to some of my particular requests. The front desk staff and concierge were friendly and helpful. The staff more than met my needs and for that I am thankful. I you are on a budget, this is the place to choose.

Room Tip: Forget getting a room with ocean views since you can walk across the street and be there in 5 minute...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Aloha Ireteri:

Mahalo for your review!

Please accept my apologies for the noise due to the road work but I'm delighted to see that we were able to move you and upgraded you to a One Bedroom Suite.

All of the staff and management look forward to serving you again on a return visit.

1,410 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

10 night stay at Aqua Palms and it was fantastic. The hotel is in an ideal location, close to the large shopping centre, the beach, Starbucks and a really nice cafe 'Hiking Hawaii'. The cleaners cleaned our rooms exceptionally well every day, there was a managers function on Thursday nights where you were given a free cocktail and snack with a live band playing, comfortable beds, free wifi in the room and a good pool and gym. The staff were all very friendly and we had no issues for the entire stay. Definitely recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Aloha Ashleigh M:

I'm delighted to see that you had a fantastic stay at the Aqua Palms Waikiki!

It is always a pleasure that to hear that we have made someone's stay a memorable experience.

All of the staff and management look forward to serving you again on a return visit!

alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed at the Aqua Palms Waikiki during the Honolulu marathon run and was very impressed with the friendliness of the staff, proximity to restaurants/attractions, and the overall cleanliness of the hotel. It was well worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Aloha art4ub:

Mahalo for your nice review! You definitely came at one of the busiest times of the year!

Did you run the marathon! If so, congratulations!

I'm delighted to see that the staff treated you with the true aloha spirit for which we are known!

We all look forward to serving you again on a return visit.

King's Point, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Exceptional value for the price is why we would go back to this hotel. We just returned from our first visit, a 14 night stay. There were 3 of us, my mom in a wheelchair, my sister and me.

Here is our top 10 reasons for luvin the aqua palms: 1.) clean, 2.) low price with high value, 3.) comfy beds, 4.) super air conditioning, 5.) helpful staff, 6.) quiet rm (back side of hotel & didn't hear sounds from other rms), 7.)FREE-internet/safe/local calls/beach towels/beach chairs...8.) DIY laundry, 9.) fridge/micro/cofee maker, 10.) great location (& feels safe)

Now for the rather minor..could be better-ish items: lighting in bathrm too low, toilet paper little hard, parking stalls little tight for full sized cars (but parking cost at 20 is average and at least not the 37 per day charged close by), can't recommend the sofa bed & lookin forward to the 2013 wi-fi in the rms.

From the airport direction follow ala moana blvd to waikiki,after you pass the ala moana mall turn L on to Hobron follow Hobron sharp R ( yes still on Hobron), R on to Ena, R on to ala moana ( now heading out of waikiki) and right next door to Ihop ...you are now at the aqua palms waikiki! ...really best to have a gps for honolulu.

You know I almost hate to recommend this place...maybe it will be all booked up the next time I want to visit. But thx to the other trip advisors i found this in the first place so ....If there is space "I'll be back!"

Thx to all at the Aqua Palms Waikiki for a wonderful time.

PS: Best healthy food is the amazing california wok at ala moana mall and down to earth health food stores.

Room Tip: Pick the back for the most quietest rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aloha Terranova111:

WOW! What a nice review! I'm delighted to see that other reviews on TripAdvisor is what helped you decide to stay with us and that we lived up to our reputation!

All of the staff and management hope you took home fond memories of your stay with us and will afford us another opportunity to serve you again in the near future!

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Another great 4 night visit at the AP last week. They had a live Christmas tree in the lobby, amazing. We love the friendly, efficient staff here. The beds are really good, with nice cotton linens. The AC, which was needed when the trade winds ceased, was super. The housekeeping staff was very accommodating to all requests, including replacing a broken coffee pot. I liked the extra large full length mirror they provided. The location is great, especially if you like to walk. Only negative would be no WiFi in the rooms.
Rooms with views of Diamond Head are nice, although it is noisier being near Ala Moana Blvd.
Definitely avoid the IHop next door and head for the excellent Wailiana Coffee Shop on the corner, open 24 hours, with an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast for under $7. They give a 10% discount to Aqua guests if you can remember to ask. There's a Food Pantry (grocery) hiding around the corner, so you won't have to buy food at the ABC Store. Bring snacks if you can! Food is really expensive in Hawaii.

Room Tip: Get a city view room if you want to avoid the noise from Ala Moana Blvd. Otherwise, take ear plugs.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Aloha TravelLightOften:

Mahalo for such a wonderful review!

I'm delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us!

All of the staff and management wish you and your ohana (family) a happy holiday season!

Mele Kalikimaka & Haouli Maka Hiki Hou!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Caloundra Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Arrived at the hotel mid morning, from Australia, and were very pleased to get into our room (surprisingly upgraded to a suite) straight away. Clean, comfortable and roomy. We didn't need the air conditioner, so kept it turned off, and though our room on 6th floor overlooked Ala Moana Blvd, the pool and a water view, with the balcony door closed we heard no noise during our 3 night stay. Great to have a bar frig and microwave in the room, but with no crockery or cutlery, the latter seemed a little pointless. Even some plastic throwaways would suffice for eating breakfast cereal. Big TV which we never turned on, as too busy being out and about, on tours and walking. Happy with all staff, especially Tour Desk staff who were extremely helpful and friendly, so our Honolulu tours were booked through them. Very handy to have a trolley stop outside the hotel to get to shops and Waikiki. One of Honolulu's 72 ABC shops close by; cafes a short walk; restaurants and shops in Hilton complex across the road and not far to beach, park, etc. We would recommend this reasonably priced, comfortable hotel and would stay again if returning to Hawaii in the future.

Room Tip: Busy road caused no noise problem with balcony door closed. Maybe we slept soundly after long days...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Aloha Roz K:

Mahalo for your review regarding your recent stay at the Aqua Palms.

I'm pleased to see that we were able to accommodate your early arrival and even an upgraded room!

All of the staff and management hope you were able to take home fond memories of your stay in Waikiki and in particular the Aqua Palms. We look forward to serving you again on a return visit.

Happy Holidays!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Ok so here's the skinny on staying in Waikiki for those of you who have and more importantly those newbies going for t he first time. Waikiki is located in Honolulu mainly along Waikiki beach in a heavily populated area that saw a lot of construction in the 70s and therefore there are a plethora of hotels of this vintage. From the water looking at the city it seems it basically stretches from left (where the ala wai cannal) comes in to the right ( towards Diamondhead crater almost)
So choosing a hotel is this: do you want or need to be close to anything in particular or simply can walk everywhere because you really can in Waikiki. The beaches are all in close distance regardless of where you stay so don't pay extra for a beachfront if you don't have to....though some are nice on the water too.
One really good option is the Aqua Palms hotel and Spa. This is a regularly maintained hotel of boutique stature that was super convenient to use and cost effective. Close to their biggest mall with a short 15 minute walk ( no seriously it's a mall but a lovely one if you want anything at all ) otherwise go to their ABC stores which are pretty  famous there and have almost everything......they are on every block. No really....they are.
Walking to the beaches is just a step across the street behind the Hilton which is a great spot to pick up any and all tour buses and city tours.
Walking to high end shopping is just through a park and there you are.
Pretty well located it is. Our room was nice and comfortable enough while not large by any standards our room with balcony facing Diamondhead was great. Some might find the street noise bothersome if the door to the balcony is open so in that case ask for a room facing the back......we did not mind that as it was quiet when the door was closed. Good to have a fridge and microwave in the room too as there WILL be times you want to just eat something at the room. Or put a bottle of something in there from the ABC stores where booze and food is relatively cheap...good tip.
Our concierge which we nick named " Connie Serge" ...Janelle actually was an Expedia expert so she was super helpful in booking lots of things for us to do. In fact it was easy to blow another $1300 on activities as there are lots to do.
Overall the hotel was great. The pool was being retiled when we were there but who cares when there are beaches. It is done now and looks pleasant.
This is not a super fancy hotel but still very nice.
The only downside was the ihop restaurant attached to it had abysmal service. Take twenty steps past it to the coffee shop on the corner and be treated to retro 70s glam in an old school type diner with good food and service. It was popular and reasonable.
We would stay at the Aqua Palms again. Have fun!

• Stayed November 2012
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Aloha Darrenmonette:

Mahalo for the great review! You described our location and its easy access to many areas perfectly!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to serving you again on a return visit.

Patty Maher

Been to Aqua Palms Waikiki? Share your experiences!