“Great day snorkeling” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Fresno, California
“Great day snorkeling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We booked the trip toward the end of our stay and almosted canceled becasue we were not sure we wanted to spend another day snorkeling - but I am soooo glad we went, this was one of the best things we did all week! This is more than just a snorkel trip, playing volleyball in the middle of the ocean is a once in a lifetime event. The crew & food were great! They took us turtle watching before snorkeling and there were even turtles at the reef we snorkeled at. Jenner is a little odd but don't let that stop you this trip is worth every penny.

Visited August 2012

Jackson, NJ
36 attraction reviews
“Fun Day Snorkeling”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

So I booked this trip with Captain Bob because we wanted to visit the ‘hidden’ island. OK, now I understood what the hidden island was but no one else in my party of 7 did. It’s a giant sandbar in the middle of the bay. I thought it was cool my wife wanted to know where the tiki bar was. Overall my family enjoyed our trip on this boat but be warned it can get crowded. On our trip Capt. Bob had three boats going out. It can also get rowdy one of the boats (a little pontoon boat) was filled with people who were drinking before we even left for our 10 AM cruise. I’m glad we avoided that boat. The lunch was a burger (which I thought was pretty good) and some cold salads. The snorkel part of the trip was great. I thought the location they brought us to was a beautiful spot and there were plenty of fish and even some turtles. The reef was large and colorful and even with three full boats there was plenty of room without feeling crowded. One suggestion the one scoop of warm water we got when we left needs to be larger. However, the hot chocolate really hit the spot after getting out of the water. I would also recommend you bring your own snorkel gear we were glad we did when we saw how the gear the boat gave you was ‘sanitized’. Also, everyone who worked for Captain Bob was very friendly and very helpful and they did not feed the fish or the turtles! Although I do with the guy 'entertaining' us would have shut up for a few minutes. We were convinced he was drunk. One more tip if you go on the cruise at the snorkel spot follow the rope out to the anchor, we found some really cool fish hanging out over there.

Visited July 2012
Christchurch
“Do something else for the day....anything.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

For anybody keen on going out for a days snorkelling, this is not the trip for you. If However you want to sit on a bus with a bad and sleazy comedian ( Jenner ), for a couple of hours, go out to a sand bar for no other reason that I can see other than a game of volleyball and an OK lunch. on to a reef for about 35 minutes of snorkelling, with to be honest not really much to see. Then back to the harbour and bus back to Waikiki, while all the time listening to Jenner's banal and mildy irritating commentry. Go for your life but you have been warned. Its not a snorkelling adventure at all. Not recomended. Funniest thing was seeing people lighting up cigarettes on the sand bar whilst walking around in snorkelling gear in 18 inches of water.
This is the only snorkelling we did in Hawaii and there must be better trips/ locotions than this, If you want a good snorkelling holiday you cant beat Australia Great Barrier Reef, Tonga, Some of the Fijian Islands and even Rarotonga is better.

Visited June 2012
middlesex
“UM....NO....JUST DON'T SUBJECT YOURSELF TO THIS TRIP!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I had such high hopes for this trip with Captain Bob's Snorkeling Adventure, but I can assure you those hopes were dashed within the first 30 seconds of being picked up for this trip. I imagined amazing scenery of Kaneohe Bay as picturesque, serene, and gorgeous. A sandbar in shallow waters. A barrier reef to snorkel. Getting up close and personal with Gilligan’s (Coconut) Island. A picnic lunch. Sailing. All of this sounded amazing but for the most part, it was a complete misrepresentation of what was really supposed to occur!!!! From the get-go, this trip made me want to ask for a refund. We were staying in Waikiki and needed to walk to the Hyatt a couple of blocks away from our hotel to catch a bus. The bus was late and we were wondering if we were ever going to get picked up. Shortly after that thought crossed our minds, a bus showed up and a man hopped off the bus and mumbled something which we couldn’t hear. I asked him, “Is this the Captain Bob Snorkeling Excursion?” He clearly heard me ask him the question, but he looked at me as if I had three heads and ignored my question. Then I said my last name and said, “If this is Captain Bob, we need to check in. “ Again—he ignored me. Then my husband stepped up and the tour guide (Jenner was his name, we later found out) and gave him our name and we boarded the bus. I wanted to cancel the trip after being completely ignored but decided just to get on the bus. For the next 30 to 45 minutes, we were Jenner’s captive audience as we played his psychologist in his own personal therapy session. He went on and on and on with his overdramatic interpretation of his childhood issues wherein he was teased mercilessly by some girls who called him “Jennifer” instead of “Jenner” and how this caused him serious issues—which were made quite evident on the trip. He explained to us that some of the ones who teased him about being homosexual actually are homosexual today. Instead of giving us pertinent information about the trip, the scenery we were passing through, and Hawaiian history, we were forced to endure this completely ridiculous, sexuality-infused, boring monologue of Jenner’s. I really just wanted off of the bus or a pair of noise-canceling headphones—neither option was available. What made it even more disingenuous was that he announced that there were only 12 English-speaking individuals on the bus and the rest were Japanese. Additionally, Jenner went into detail about how Hanauma Bay was terrible for seeing fish, and explained to us that they might not even sanitize their masks and snorkels. I would have preferred that he spoke any language other than English as he was boring us with his drivel. Enough with Jennifer, er…I mean Jenner.
Our tour was sold to us at our hotel by the concierge who explained that it was an excellent trip and she had taken the trip personally. We were more than concerned, but were promised a really wonderful time.
Our first stop was a Sandbar. It was a shallow area that the crew told us was a “training ground for the first-time snorkelers” even though there were no fish to be found and most areas of the sandbar didn’t even cover our knees, making it difficult for people to assume a snorkeling position without eating sand. The crew did set up a volleyball net where people can play a game of volleyball. We were to remain there for one hour. Many people stayed on board the boat as this area was not conducive for snorkeling.
The second stop was snorkeling at a reef. Most disturbing about this stop was the crew members who threw bread or some type of food into the water so the fish would congregate around the snorkelers. I assumed this practice of feeding the fish had been long stopped. The foolishness of continuing this practice irritated me.
Our BBQ lunch was served: Costco (Kirkland brand) frozen burgers that were cooked, baked beans that were only slightly warmed, canned (definitely NOT fresh!) pineapple chunks, and what tasted like really, really stale tortilla chips with no salsa (or anything else) on the side. The lunch clearly was just almost inedible for me, however, my husband was starving after snorkeling and asked for a second hamburger and was told he couldn’t have one. During lunch, we were once again forced to endure singing and guitar playing from Jenner. If anything made me lose my appetite…….well….
On the way back to the harbor, we were told that “the island way over there is Gilligan’s or Coconut Island” but made no attempt to go anywhere near it. The literature we were presented with when we were considering purchasing this excursion said that we would be seeing Gilligan’s Island up close and personal. In fact, it was as if we were seeing the Statue of Liberty from Pennsylvania, it was so far away.
Finally the time came to get off the vessel. I was so relieved to go back to our hotel. As soon as we boarded the bus, Jenner told us that he was just going to say a couple of things and then he would give us silence for the remainder of the trip. I was thrilled! I wanted to just take in the beauty of the area and not be forced to listen to ridiculous banter. However---he talked from the time we got on the bus until the time HE got off the bus. He left the bus early because he was running late for the bus that was going to take him to his residence. I was thrilled to finally regain some silence.
Had I known how this trip was going to go…I would have NEVER signed up for it. A couple of things I would suggest if you still are interested in going on this trip: 1. DO NOT RIDE THE BUS TO AVOID BEING SUBJECTED TO JENNER, THE TOUR GUIDE. Meet the boat at the harbor if at all possible. This would have prevented a lot of my dissatisfaction. 2. BRING YOUR OWN PICNIC LUNCH. The food just wasn’t good. 3. LOOK AROUND TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER TOURS THAT WILL PROVIDE THE SAME SERVICE. Buyer Beware.

Visited July 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
15 attraction reviews
“One of the best snorkel sails in Hawaii”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Of all the snorkel sails we have done in Hawaii - we go there every year and have snorkeled on three of the four main islands - this one was one of the absolute best. The sandbar landing was even more fun and interesting than I had imagined. The reef where we snorkeled was beautiful and the water was calm and pleasant. It was like snorkeling in an aquarium. We will definitely add this trip to our must do every year list.

Visited June 2012