“I don't know Hawaiian Food, but I know what I like” 4 of 5 stars

808-593-8019
Improve this listing
Ranked #653 of 1,913 restaurants in Honolulu
Guam
“I don't know Hawaiian Food, but I know what I like”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is my very first Trip Advisor Review. I felt it necessary after seeing that no one had reviewed this restaurant. I'll be honest I was actually looking for Ono's Hawaiia Foods when I ended up at Haili's. My GPS led me right to it, and rather than keep trying to find Ono's, I just decided to go with it. I was not disappointed. This was my first taste of "true" Hawaiian Cuisine, so I have nothing to compare it to. Haili's is a small place with only about 8-10 tables in the place, but it's far enough from Waikiki that there wasn't a crowd. I wanted to get a sample of all the Hawaiian Foods, so the gentleman taking my order at the counter suggested I go with "Da Big Kahuna Plate." At $14 it's the most expensive item on the menu, but it was more than I could eat. It included Kahula Pork, Lau Lau Pork, Ahi Poke, Chicken Long Rice, Poi, a Salmon Poke-type dish (I can't remember what it was called), and Haupia (a coconut-flavored gelatinous dessert, similar to cassava). The staff was very friendly, and I enjoyed everything. Still, the best part about Haili's is that it is a mere 2 blocks from Leornard's Bakery. My recommendation would be to get your Kahula Pork or Short Ribs at Haili's, then wander over to Leornard's to pick up a few Malasada's, and get a true tast of Honolulu!

• Visited August 2011