“Reminiscent of Old Hawaii” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #150 of 1,919 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Freeport, IL
“Reminiscent of Old Hawaii”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We have moved away from Honolulu for over 20 years and came here with some local friends. This reminds me of what Hawaii used to be, before commercialism. It is a tiki bar, complete with lantern balls, strings of lights, tikis and nautical memorabilia. I thought I was in the Tiki Room at Disneyland! We had appetizers: Kalua Pork Nachos (huge portion), which was very delicious; lumpia (Filipino egg roll), which were ok; the ahi tuna roll (very good) and a small Caesar salad, which was enough to feed an army. The prices were reasonable. It is off the beaten path, but I think there was a mix of tourists and locals alike. I don't know that I would come here just for the food, but the experience and memories of a by-gone era will always stick in my mind.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

New Jersey Shore
“The Honolulu You wished You Could Have Visited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

It had been far, far too many years since I had been back to Honolulu from the mainland. In the past two decades it was hard to see any Hawaii left in Waikiki or the downtown. Today it seems more like a slice of Beverly Hills than Polynesia. One of the last, and by far the best examples of what you would have seen and enjoyed anytime from the 1940's thru the 1990's is still here at La Mariana. Off the beaten path, a wee bit hard to find but close to downtown and the airport, the drinks, the food, and the service are all fantastic. The night they we were there they had live piano music which only further turned up the enchantment factor as we watched the sun set. If you are tired of all things touristy and want one last chance to see tiki at its best, stop by. Just don't tell your friends, we don't want this place to become too popular or crowded and get turned into another big box restaurant chain. After this last visit, I may start skipping Oahu altogether...except for the chance to come back here.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Yorktown, Virginia
“An oasis ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We went there upon the recommendation of a friend and made it right before the cutoff for lunch at 3. I must say, I was impressed, not only by the atmosphere, but by the food and service. I had a bacon, shrimp, and avocado sandwich... Amazing!

Denver, Colorado
“Amazing atmosphere...terrible food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My husband and I moved to Oahu in January and have been having so much fun trying out lots of different places to eat! We were just googling around fun places to try and stumbled on this place.
We went here today for lunch and were greatly disappointed.
It is definitely off the beaten path, which was a nice change from the busy, hustling Waikiki restaurants. Besides the occasional airplane, the place is tucked back in a serene sailboat marina.
We walked up and the decor immediately struck us! What a neat place this was! It felt like you had jumped back in time to the 1940's to a place that was trying to be a quintessential "Hawaiian" restaurant. It is similar in style to Keoki's Paradise or Duke's barefoot bar, but, in my opinion, even cooler! LOVED the decor and the atmosphere.
The reason it only gets 3 stars from us: the food. Ugh. What a disappointment the food was! We both got Mahi (two different menu options of Mahi, though) and we both felt that the meat was tough and tasted and felt like it was frozen rather than fresh fish. I got the Mahi florentine entree and the dish was pretty much flavorless. My husband tried the grilled Mahi and felt the same way about his dish. Not much flavor. Tough meat. Likely frozen food rather than fresh. We've tried several places around the island and we love a good piece of Mahi, and we've had lots! But, this place failed to deliver. We would likely go back for just pupus and drinks because the atmosphere is so great, but would definitely not recommend the food! And, that's too bad. We'd love to take friends to this place when they visit, but decided we would really hesitate...we just felt the food was THAT bad.
My husband also got both a Mountain Dew and a Pepsi but both were flat or not mixed right or something. I tried a sip of each as well and couldn't quite figure out what was wrong, but something was definitely off.
I'll finish by saying that the service was excellent!

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kapolei, Hawaii
“Not your typical "tourist" stop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have had pupu's and drinks a couple of times in the past at La Mariana and today I thought I would share this hidden gem with my Wife and Son. La Mariana is out of the way and off the main Honolulu and Waikiki "must do" list, which is why it is worth the trip to Sand Island Access Road and dealing with the heavy truck traffic from the Horizon and Matson container port. One might miss the turn off from Sand Island Access in this neighborhood of warehouses, but don't be deterred by the busy street and industrial appearance because once you turn off the main road you will find an oasis on the water's edge that has been a favorite since the late 1950's for locals and other's who know. Today my Wife and Son had the broiled Mahi mahi and mashed potatoes and I had the Shrimp Poo Boy on sweet whole wheat bun and crisp, hot, and tasty onion rings. The three of us enjoyed lunch immensely and got off for under $40!

• Visited May 2014