“Excellent Sushi, Exciting Exotics” 5 of 5 stars

808-947-3800
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Sasabune is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 1,939 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Keeaumoku St.
Transit: South King street and Keeaumoku street by bus.
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent Sushi, Exciting Exotics”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We are regulars at the two LA locations and have been to Hawaii spot multiple times. As of earlier this year, no more soy sauce at the table, sushi dressed the way chef prefers.

Chef offers omakase western or eastern options. We did one of each.

Tonight, Eastern menu included many new and exotic items, from abalone with abalone liver, sweet shrimp with shrimp brain "miso", squid topped with squid ink paste. Dessert if saki jello was delicate floral was really good.

Loved it. But if you are not open to try new items, stick with the Western menu and you must be ok with Omakase (aka chef's choice).

Oslo, Norway
“Excellent - Excellent - Excellent. Best in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I had the sushi time of my life at Sushi Sasabune. After a miserable visit to Nobu Waikiki, I hungered for a sushi experience with high quality food and high class service.
Sushi Sasabune more than delivered up to my expectations!
This restaurant is excellent in every way. Words can't describe enough the great feeling you get from eating here:

1) The chef is highly skilled and attentive. He tells you everything he serves: where is the fish from, how to eat it, why you should eat it...
2) Sushi is extremely fresh. The chef handmakes and serves 2 and 2 pieces, so you always eat it fresh and in the right order. It is all impeccably perpared.
3) The fish is superb and handpicked from all over the world. High quality and super fresh. It melts in your tungue and tastes delicious. After a visit here you have tasted fish from at least 4 countries. We had ingredients from Norway, Japan, Scotland and USA. Some of the fishes served I had never heard about.

All the courses served were excellent. Each of them giving me a new experience. Most tasty was perhaps the squid filled with white crab meat.
Dinner total costs about 100$ and up p.p.
It is worth every penny you spend and every bite you take. It is no doubt: this is the best sushi restaurant in Honolulu!
It is almost worth going back to Honolulu just for Sushi Sasabune! I can't wait to come back!
Remember to ask for a seating at the bar when you make a reservation!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Ignore the naysayers -- Sushi Sasabune is SUPERB!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have been a regular patron at Sushi Sasabune since it first opened, and I have never, ever experienced anything less than perfection there. The high quality of the fish and shellfish is unmatched, and the skillful preparation is absolutely amazing. Chef Seiji truly is a sushi and sashimi genius. I don't think there is better food to be found anywhere on O'ahu. Yes, the service is formal and adherence to proper customs is enforced -- but that is to be expected at a respected establishment that upholds centuries-old traditions of omakase-style dining. Yes, it's expensive -- but considering that Sushi Sasabune sources its commodities daily from all over the world, wherever the quality is highest and regardless of cost, I find the prices reasonable. You definitely get what you pay for. Ignore those reviewers who apparently lack the knowledge or discernment to appreciate this truly dazzling dining experience. To use Chef Seiji's words, TRUST ME! I know what I'm talking about from my personal experience after literally hundreds of superb meals over more than 15 years.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kansas
“Outstanding in all ways”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I went to Sushi Sasabune after reading all the “Sushi Nazi” stories and after the meal I can say nothing was farther from the truth. The outside of the place looks like a run down strip mall, but don’t let that discourage you. The inside is well appointed, the staff is friendly and observant, and the food is un-real. I have always wanted to do omakase and I knew I was going to pay for it; and I am so glad I did. I sat at the bar, and the “Sushi Nazi” greeted me with a big smile. He can switch from English to Japanese and back without missing a beat. I explained to the chef that I just can’t eat a lot of food so I knew I couldn’t make 13 courses. He smiled and told me to stop him when I was full. I did eat 7 great courses and they all were wonderful. The chef explained what they were and yes, he recommended how to eat it (one bite, with wasabi, etc). I have always heard a true Sushi Master has to learn rice before anything else. I never understood that until I ate here. Very difficult to explain, but the rice here so compliments the raw fish and becomes part of the bite; I so loved it. I never enjoyed such sushi rice. I told the chef to stop after I ate my 6th, but he had made the 7th and put it down in front of me. I was so full so why he wasn’t looking, I took a half bite. Should have listened to the chef; the sushi fell completely apart; he told me to eat it in one bite. I really recommend this place, and I recommend you do what he says. He has spent all day making sauces and sushi, and he knows better then you how to enjoy it best. If you can’t handle doing what he says, I recommend you go to another sushi place; your Volcano Roll awaits! I can’t wait to go back to this place!

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
AUSTIN
“Where did those naysayers go!?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure where the negative reviewers went but it was NOT to Sushi Sasabune! The food was amazing and the staff were super amazingly uber friendly and informative. Yes, they are omakase which means you get what the chef chooses but they are very clear about that when you make a reservation and you are seated. If you don't trust the chef don't go, but it will be you loss! We had 13 courses and three glasses of sake between us, grand total was $340 tip included and it worth every penny.

Visited April 2014