“An incredible dining experience!” 5 of 5 stars

808-947-3800
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Sasabune is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 1,946 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Keeaumoku St.
Transit: South King street and Keeaumoku street by bus.
Albuquerque, NM
“An incredible dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I agree that this was the best meal of our lives. We both love sushi, but had no idea it could be this good. We "trusted the chef" and made it through all 13 courses. We each had our favorites (Toro for me, eel for her). There were certainly things we would not have tried on our own, but we were glad we trusted the chef. In addition to incredible food, the service was impeccable. Wait staff was knowledgeable and patient with us. They had great recommendations for sake (which neither of us usually drinks). They were also very attentive. An empty plate never sat in front of us for more than an minute and the water glasses were never lower than 3/4 full. As noted by others, this type of experience does not come cheap. This was the 2nd most expensive meal we have ever had (5-star restaurant in Paris still holds the record).

If: (1) you love sushi; (2) are adventurous; (3) can afford it, you must eat here!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Reading, Pennsylvania
“I can't imagine a better sushi experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were looking for some amazing sushi and I discovered this through some Frommer's research. We opted for the sushi counter, leave it to the chef option. This is a bit of an odd experience as you have no idea what food is coming and as such, you have no idea what price you'll be paying either. We went with a 13 course option which ended up being around $125 per person tip included. Despite reading about this "sushi nazi" stuff online, our sushi was funny, pleasant and quite enjoyable to talk to. He explained each course quite well and we had fun with him. The fish was fresh from around the globe, quite impressive. Japanese ahi, alaskan halibut, washington oysters, louisana blue crab, South African rock lobster, just to name a few. The rice the sushi was served on was warm which was new for me but I found it to bring out the flavor of the fish even more. Several of their sushi options come with a toasted sesame mix which was insanely tasty. What a great flavor experience. Their signature dish is a toro which they chop and reform into a sushi size portion, it simply melted in your mouth. Quite literally melted. Amazing. This dining experience won't be cheap but you get what you pay for. Give it a try with an open mind and I can't see you leaving disappointed.

Visited August 2013
San Diego, California
“Meh..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Meh..
Our experience started with the tactless Maitre d' having an awkward, unnecessary --and audible-- exchange with a young couple in the Reception area as we arrived then schooling us on their phone policy as we were seated.
Not exactly a warm welcome.
I didn't have my phone with me and whatever policy--or policies--an Establishment adopts is A-OK but the delivery was poor at best.

I'm not going bother worrying about what prompts this kind of unHostiness but so far pretty unimpressed since one of the last things you want to hear when you arrive at a nice Restaurant is some awkward power struggle between the couple before you and
the guy at the door.
Next uppppppp... a quick glance around the Dining space and it reminded me of their dress code...(Business Casual). Clientele were every version of sloppy-cut offs, shorts, dirty sandals, tanks (men), and what I would consider just rolled off the beach grunge.
I'm not judging that but questioning why on earth they are pretending about trying to create a certain elegant/casual Dinner atmosphere and then this?
So now we move beyond the amateurish shaming of Customers, less than warm welcome, poopy snobby attitude and loud barbarians seated next to us...

Now how about that Dinner?
Trust me? Omakase? Always-always let the talent choose their best for you but I can't buy into the "Trust Me" thing if someone plops down a sticky piece of shrimp with a flowery description of its origin instead of a lovely clean fresh bit of the ocean or when my first bite of the three Oyster tastings were bad (prompting a quick run to the bathroom to dispose of that monster in the garbage), Albacore was mettallic, quite a number of the plated combos weren't very well paired flavor wise or good and the signature dish was a perfectly good piece of fatty tuna that was turned into a viscid mess on rice.
Epic fail...

AWFUL. AWFUL. AWFUL.
I don't make a habit of bad reviews because I don't typically land in a Restaurant that deserves one. I guess it's always a matter of taste but there wasn't ONE single bite that I would return for. I'm surprised there wasn't more depth behind the hype and spectacular reviews. This certainly could not have been the lone off evening unless Sasabunes Fan Club
hasn't ventured very far. Value wise it wasn't expensive (to us) and I would have gladly paid twice for a delicious meal.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Incredible Sushi Date Night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Sushi Sasabune is an EXCELLENT place for a special occasion dinner. It is pricey so definitely not a place to go regularly (Our bill was $200 for 2 ppl) but a perfect place for a special place if you like sushi. The way it works is that the chef "surprises" you with different dishes. The dishes will keep coming out until you let them know you are getting full and then you are charged by the amount of different dishes. The sushi is Japanese style... (Not made into rolls. A bite size slice of fish on top of rice) It was probably the best sushi I have ever tasted. Every bite was so fresh and tender.. Just melts in your mouth. The service is OUTSTANDING. Great spot for a special date night looking for something a little different. LOVED IT!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Honolulu, Hawaii
“sushi heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was treated for my belated birthday and it was great. From the miso soup to the sushi and more sushi ... it was like being transported to sushi heaven!

• Visited April 2013