“Casual elegance with stunning views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Orchids

Orchids
Halekulani Hotel, 2199 Kalia Rd., Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)
808-923-2311
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Orchids is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 1,940 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Buffet, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Lewers Street
Los Angeles, CA
“Casual elegance with stunning views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I took my sister-in-law here for her birthday. I made reservation in advance of our arrival in Hawaii. We got there around 6PM although our reservation was for 6:30PM and were promptly seated in the covered patio overlooking Diamond head and House without a Key patio area with the Hawaiian music and hula dancer. The venue is simply stunning. Pricey it is, but you get what you pay for. Food and service were outstanding. We never felt rushed and the the service was unobtrusive. The patio area is L-shape so you can sit either directly facing House without a Key and Diamond Head or directly facing the ocean and sunset. Either are fabulous. Highly recommended. Perfect for romantic evening or special occasion.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Excellent food, impeccable service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Booked through OpenTable and restaurant actually called me 2 days before to confirm. Requested ocean front patio seating and were able to accommodate. Great menu selection and reasonably priced. Waiter was very knowledgeable of menu and wine pairings. Service was some of the best I've experienced in quite awhile.

Visited August 2013
Shreveport ,LA
“Not worth coming back !!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just had dinner last night with a group of 11 people ...

-Positive : Outstanding and romantic location .. Watching the sunset while entertaining live music during dinner is hard to beat !, Excellent services !!!! Very classic
- Negative : With a large group , the only option is a fix menu ..We chose shrimp salads and red snapper steamed with mushroom and ginger . I also added lobster bisque to the menu ,at additional cost .. I have to admit ingredients are fresh ,including fish and shrimp , but the cook could not bring out the expected flavor of the dish ..Maybe I have higher expectation as a cook , for that upscale restaurant ?? I don't know , but I wish the shrimp salad has more depth to it and the red snapper a bit lighter and more flavor .. Anyway , overall it is NOT a bad experience , but just not at the level that I have expected .. I like the dishes at MaMa fish house in Maui better..
Desert is good , light , not too rich or too sweet , freshly made with local coconut

Wines : I ordered 1 bottle of Riestling fron Germany and 1 bottle of Moris St.Denis Pinot noir from France .. Wines are kept at appropriate temperature .. Well served ... But the wine prices are stiff , well known by the reports from Wine Spectator ( $118 for the bad year of Morris St Denis is expensive ) .Remember you are allow to bring in 1 bottle only for each party , no matter how many persons in your party, of course with corkage fee..

In summary , it was a good dinner because of the ambience , atmosphere , location , service ..etc , but NOT the foods , so if you are happy with everything else but foods then your high dollars were well spent .....

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Denver, CO
“Halekalani letdown”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

So I drag my friend to this place for a late afternoon lunch. The setting is beautiful. A white linen restaurant but outside with the beach and ocean right there. We ordered very expensive sandwiches and iced tea. The server did explain how the chicken sandwich was cooked (deep fried in bread crumbs). Not what I really wanted but chicken is usually pretty safe. Well, it was inedible and it wasn't just the flavor which I knew would be new to me. The chicken was gristly and the coating was off the chicken and lots of oil. The server never even asked why I didn't eat it. It took 20 minutes to get a second glass of iced tea even though there were few people there. Unfortunate. I had such good memories of this hotel restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Honolulu, Hawaii
“We keep coming back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have the joy of living in Honolulu. There are MANY great restaurants here (so I'm a little prejudice!!) but when it comes to special events, Orchids is where we come. The only thing separating you from the ocean is a small pathway and low bushes. But many places on Waikiki have a view, but none have the caliber of food and staff as Orchids. I highly recommend the onaga for the fish and leave room for their signature dessert...Halekulani coconut cake...to die for. The restaurant is expensive, and I love the idea of a dress code (come on men, does it really kill you to wear a nice pair of slacks, a collared shirt and shoes!!) How people dress lends to the overall ambience of the place. We keep coming back.

• Visited August 2013