“Excellent food, impeccable service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Orchids

Orchids
Halekulani Hotel, 2199 Kalia Rd., Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)
808-923-2311
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Orchids is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,832 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Lewers Street
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Excellent food, impeccable service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Booked through OpenTable and restaurant actually called me 2 days before to confirm. Requested ocean front patio seating and were able to accommodate. Great menu selection and reasonably priced. Waiter was very knowledgeable of menu and wine pairings. Service was some of the best I've experienced in quite awhile.

Visited August 2013

Shreveport ,LA
“Not worth coming back !!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just had dinner last night with a group of 11 people ...

-Positive : Outstanding and romantic location .. Watching the sunset while entertaining live music during dinner is hard to beat !, Excellent services !!!! Very classic
- Negative : With a large group , the only option is a fix menu ..We chose shrimp salads and red snapper steamed with mushroom and ginger . I also added lobster bisque to the menu ,at additional cost .. I have to admit ingredients are fresh ,including fish and shrimp , but the cook could not bring out the expected flavor of the dish ..Maybe I have higher expectation as a cook , for that upscale restaurant ?? I don't know , but I wish the shrimp salad has more depth to it and the red snapper a bit lighter and more flavor .. Anyway , overall it is NOT a bad experience , but just not at the level that I have expected .. I like the dishes at MaMa fish house in Maui better..
Desert is good , light , not too rich or too sweet , freshly made with local coconut

Wines : I ordered 1 bottle of Riestling fron Germany and 1 bottle of Moris St.Denis Pinot noir from France .. Wines are kept at appropriate temperature .. Well served ... But the wine prices are stiff , well known by the reports from Wine Spectator ( $118 for the bad year of Morris St Denis is expensive ) .Remember you are allow to bring in 1 bottle only for each party , no matter how many persons in your party, of course with corkage fee..

In summary , it was a good dinner because of the ambience , atmosphere , location , service ..etc , but NOT the foods , so if you are happy with everything else but foods then your high dollars were well spent .....

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Denver, CO
“Halekalani letdown”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

So I drag my friend to this place for a late afternoon lunch. The setting is beautiful. A white linen restaurant but outside with the beach and ocean right there. We ordered very expensive sandwiches and iced tea. The server did explain how the chicken sandwich was cooked (deep fried in bread crumbs). Not what I really wanted but chicken is usually pretty safe. Well, it was inedible and it wasn't just the flavor which I knew would be new to me. The chicken was gristly and the coating was off the chicken and lots of oil. The server never even asked why I didn't eat it. It took 20 minutes to get a second glass of iced tea even though there were few people there. Unfortunate. I had such good memories of this hotel restaurant.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Honolulu, Hawaii
“We keep coming back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have the joy of living in Honolulu. There are MANY great restaurants here (so I'm a little prejudice!!) but when it comes to special events, Orchids is where we come. The only thing separating you from the ocean is a small pathway and low bushes. But many places on Waikiki have a view, but none have the caliber of food and staff as Orchids. I highly recommend the onaga for the fish and leave room for their signature dessert...Halekulani coconut cake...to die for. The restaurant is expensive, and I love the idea of a dress code (come on men, does it really kill you to wear a nice pair of slacks, a collared shirt and shoes!!) How people dress lends to the overall ambience of the place. We keep coming back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“A gastronomic experience in Hawaiian Style!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This restaurant is located in the Halekulani Hotel which makes for a wonderful experience. The staff and Kitchen staff truly care about the dining experience as well as the innovation that makes for a unique and quality menu. The onaga fish is a masterpiece and is a must try for all patrons at Orchids. Orchids has become a mainstay and must have during my visits to Oahu!

• 5 of 5 stars Food