“Amazing food and huge portions.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Alan Wong's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 1,940 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian, Asian fusion
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Punahou Street and McCully Street
Description: Consistently voted as one of Hawaii's best restaurants, James Beard award-winning Chef Alan Wong uses the freshest locally grown produce and the bounty of the Pacific Ocean to create local favorites with a contemporary twist. Inspired by the unique ethnic influences found in Hawaii today, his menu reflects Hawaii's cultural diversity of its people, traditions, and lifestyles. "Taste Hawaii."
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing food and huge portions.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The food is amazing, but it's a bit on the pricey side. Be advised that the portions on the a-la-carte menu are huge. You likely don't need both an appetizer and entree. So, consider sharing an appetizer or skipping it all together.

Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Cold reception, excellent waiter, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Made a reservation for Alan Wong's for our anniversary about two weeks before arriving in Honolulu. I had high expectations for this restaurant from family and reviews online. I always nearly disappointed before the dinner started due to the cold reception I got when I arrived. The receptionist barely acknowledged me when I told her my name and reservation. I arrived about 10 minutes early, but they didn't have a table ready for my until after 15 minutes past my reserved time. The main receptionist didn't even apologize, offer the bar, nor inform me as to why we were left sitting around waiting for our table... About 10 minutes of waiting, her assistant finally did come by, apologize, and give us the drink menu to peruse.

When we were finally seated, the waited was excellent. He was a younger guy, but he was very enthusiastic and knowledgable about the menu. I would have to say, the waiter saved the dinner - he turned an ugly beginning into a wonderful ending. The waiter's assistant was an older gentleman, while nice and polite, seemed a tad inexperienced (i.e. rushing to clean up stuff before the proper time, not as formal as I would have liked ... but this is Hawaii and there were people showing up at Alan Wong's in flip flops and t-shirts!).

I ordered the 5 course tasting menu and my wifed ordered a la carte; I was worried at first the tasting menu would be too small, but they proved me wrong - the appetizers start off small, but by the entree and desert, the portions were pretty big relatively speaking.

I was not disappointed by the food, everything was well prepared. The Whole Tomato Salad is quite unique and has a dressing that I have not tasted anywhere before. Their warm bread (all you can eat!) is fantastic. The "Da Bag" appetizer is also quite a display when they bring it to the table, although the taste is a bit bland for my liking (wife loved it and was in line with her taste buds). The fish cakes were flavourful, but I was surprised they were served cold. The Kaneohe Lobster was fantastic - perfectly cooked - succulent and full of flavour. There was also a breaded fish on the tasting menu, nicely prepared, and tasted good. The Kalbi beef was good, although I would have preferred a more "traditional" Korean tasting Kalbi sauce. My wife ordered the lobster lasagne and it was excellent - lobster is served on the side, beside a puffy cheese pastry. The dessert was probably the highlight of the night, with the tasting menu they serve a full sized coconut dessert which was more than adequate to share for two.

I also ordered a Mai Tai for dinner; it was prepared quite well, with a good balance of alcohol and fruit juice. Size was decent too, lasted about 1/2 the dinner for me (I'm a light drinker.

If Alan Wong had a better receptionist, I would have give this place a 5-star rating.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stockholm, Sweden
“Woozy experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We had a dinner reservation here last week with some not big expectations. But left with bad taste. Woozy service, empty cocktailglasses on the table during the whole dinner, empty wineglasses as well, enormous portions and unsalted.
Feels like their best before date has passed, long time ago!

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Tasty Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Really enjoyed our meal here. Food was great, good atmosphere and great service. If you are happy to eat inside the wait is short.

Visited June 2014
New Haven, Connecticut
“Exceeded expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Wow. Great place. We came to the restaurant to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary on the recommendation of out daughter and we were not disappointed. I had high expectations honestly and they lived up to them. We had the "da bag" which was amazing. Clams, pork, spinach and tomatoes in a foil type bag. Delicious. We then had the tomato appetizer which was to die for. Highly recommend this appetizer. We had the boneless short ribs which were excellent. The drink menu is extensive as well. Great place and would go back in a heart beat.

Visited July 2014