“Special Treat” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Alan Wong's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,987 Restaurants in Honolulu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Asian fusion, Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Punahou Street and McCully Street
Description: Consistently voted as one of Hawaii's best restaurants, James Beard award-winning Chef Alan Wong uses the freshest locally grown produce and the bounty of the Pacific Ocean to create local favorites with a contemporary twist. Inspired by the unique ethnic influences found in Hawaii today, his menu reflects Hawaii's cultural diversity of its people, traditions, and lifestyles. "Taste Hawaii."
San Diego, California
“Special Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We went for my daughters graduation dinner and it was everything we hoped it to be. Several of us had the Classic prix fixe menu and had to just sample the last courses so that we would have room for the delicious coconut desert. Those that had the beef tenderloin said it was the best meal ever. The service was attentive and helpful. The building is on King St so make sure you have the address handy or you'll miss it. You take an elevator once you park. Taxi is recommended

Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Oakland, California
“Alan Wong needs to return to his flagship restaurant and fast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have been one of Alan Wong's most appreciative customers returning time and time again. However, this trip on our first night here and on our second night (we tried to let them redeem themselves), was a mess. First night, we had the tasting menu and a zombie for a waiter. Food was served so quickly and there was no flavor to the dishes. A huge disaapointment. We talked it over and decided to give our favorite Hawaii restaurant one more try nine days later on our last night in town. We were not off to a good start having to wait 45 minutes for a table. Our reservation was for 8:00pm and we sat down at the table at 8:45pm. This time the food was great, but our waiter had a table of twelve plus three other tables of four so more problems with the service. Each table was complaining to the waiter and the manager about the long wait for food. If you think our wait was bad for our food (waiter never poured our $200.00 bottle of Chardonnay), the party of 12 never received their appetizers while we were there. I felt like going to McDonald's and getting them take out. That was one hungry and frustrated table. They sat down before us! Spoke to the manager about our experience. He said he "got it", but if I was Alan Wong, I wouldn't count on it. Alan come back to your restaurant. Singapore could not be more important (unless family issues) than keeping your flagship restaurant in top form both in the kitchen and in the service. I am not sure I saw one waiter smile on both nights except for one female assistant server. That says a whole lot about management.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tacoma, Washington
“I've had better service at Applebee's”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

This is the third time my husband and I have dined at this restaurant. Granted, the last time was about 5 years ago. What a difference time makes. I guess Mr. Wong is living on past laurels, or he has not visited his restaurant recently. The good news is that the food was very good. Except for the seafood cakes which were not browned enough. A home cook's mistake not a high end restaurant's mistake.
The problem, and it was a biggie was the service. We should have left right off the bat when it took a LONG time for our server to greet us. Then a LONG time for our drinks to arrive. We ordered an app which he said would take 15 minutes to arrive . It took 5. That was the last time any efficiency was shown. I could go on and on about the different levels of poor service to include not seeing our waiter for 20 minutes, having to flag down the water guy to get my husband's wine he ordered , then having to flag someone, anyone, to actually order food. Our waiter never asked if I wanted more wine, never checked on us until we were almost done with our entree. Then the kicker.....he brought a dessert with a candle that said Happy Anniversary. It was my BIRTHDAY and I can't eat chocolate. Itnwas a chocolate dessert. he couldn't have known that butnitnwas the final nail in the coffin. Oops.
He could not handle the number of tables he had. Poor management can be blamed for some of this. Very disappointing evening. Probably won't be going back next visit to Waikiki.

Visited January 2014
Austin, Texas
“First Rate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

When our GPS led us to 1857 South King Street we wondered if it might have taken a wrong turn somewhere. It looked like we were going to visit a dentist, not dine in one of Honolulu's top spots. Well, it's what's on the inside that counts and Alan Wong's does not disappoint! My wife and I both agree that this was one of the best dinners we've ever had. The kind where the fork goes in mouth and eyes bug out: a "honey- you've GOT to try a bite of this" kind of thing. Next time we are on the island we will be back!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, GA
“Perfection -- yes, really!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This ranks as one of the best meals I've had in the past 5 years.

We each ordered the $85 per person tasting menu which included a variety of Alan Wong's classic dishes.

In particular this menu included:
1. the "Soup and Sandwich"
2. the Chopped Ahi Sashimi and Avocado Salsa Stack
3. the Butter Poached Kona Cold Lobster
4. the Ginger Crusted Onaga, Long-Tail Red Snapper
5. the Twice Cooked Shortribs, Soy Braised and Grilled "Kalbi" Style
6. "The Coconut."

Each course was perfect. Each course wowed. The presentation amazing. The tastes -- mouth watering and memorable.

I could elaborate on each course, but let me simply describe the Coconut dessert because it was so unique, and I have included a photo of it. It looked just like a fresh coconut with the top sliced off and fresh fruit spilling out of it. In fact, the whole thing was a simulated coconut. The shell was dark chocolate - encrusted with crushed nuts. The coconut meat -- which looked just like real coconut meat -- was actually coconut-haupia sorbet. And there were a couple of side dollops of Lilikoi Sauce. This was the most creative and tasty dessert that I've seen in a long, long time.

In addition to the Tasting Menu, we each started our meal with the 1.5 Ounce Lilikoi (Passion Fruit) Shot, which was so concentrated, that we sipped on it through the entire meal. This is passion fruit like you've never tasted before. Well worth the experience at $4 a shot -- pure cold pressed passion fruit.

This is President Obama's favorite restaurant in Hawaii and now I understand why. We will definitely return to Alan Wong's every time we come to Honolulu. And at $85 pp, the tasting menu is definitely a good deal.

I believe this restaurant would rank among the best restaurants in New York City were it in NYC.

• Visited January 2014