“Best View and Service in Waikiki” 5 of 5 stars

+1 808-922-2268
Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 1,913 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Best View and Service in Waikiki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Do yourself a favor and make Duke's the first meal you eat when you arrive on Oahu. (And then, if you're a little obsessive about this place -- like we are -- you'll come back again ... and again).

You just can't beat getting off of the plane and then heading over to Duke's as fast as you can. It really hits you that you're in Hawaii: the music, the beach, the perfect weather. The food is excellent -- both at the Barefoot Bar and at the main restaurant itself. We've tried a variety of fish dishes as well as the BBQ ribs and (at the Barefoot Bar) the Hawaiian pizza with sweet chili sauce. Service is always friendly, and we've never felt rushed, even though there can be quite a wait to get in (if you don't have reservations)!

Make sure you plan ahead and request to sit as close to the beach as possible so that you can have views of the ocean and Diamond Head while you listen to the waves.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Brantford, Canada
“Torn- Had Good and Bad Experiences at Duke's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I'm not sure how I feel about this restaurant as I have had both good and bad experiences here. The first time we dined here, we wanted a casual dinner experience and were told that the Barefoot Bar was what we wanted. Asked if we could make reservations and were told that they do not take reservations. So went to the bar and asked for a table and were told that it was a 10 minute wait. 30 minutes later, we went to the host and asked how much longer. We then looked at the list and noticed he had stricken our name from the list. We asked why and he said that after we had given our name, we had walked away and so he thought we didn't want to stay. Does that make sense? We just gave you our name!!! Why would we do that if we weren't interested. He then put us back on the list and told us 10 minutes. Another half hour passed before we were finally seated. When seated, we ordered mainly burgers and waited. The waitress brought us drinks, in plastic glasses, and not enough cutlery. I asked for more cutlery. The food finally came and the waitress never brought the cutlery or any condiments. We asked once more and again waited. I had had enough and got up and got my own ketchup, mustard and cutlery. When she saw that I was doing this, then she came over to see if we needed anything. Poor customer service. The food itself was average to good. The burgers themselves were juicey but the buns were soggy. We shared a piece of Hula Pie and it was delicious.

Then we visited for dinner in the dining room. We called down to the restaurant to see about the wait and to put our names down on the list, since we were staying in the outrigger hotel. We were told that we had to be there in person to put our names on the list. My sister went down with the rest of the party to put our name down while I was arranging an excursion on the phone for another evening. I finished 5 minutes after they left but it took me 10 more minutes to get down to the restaurant because of the ridiculous elevators in the hotel. When I got there, they were waiting for me. When they had initially got to the restaurant, they had a table available but refused to seat the party because I wasn't there. One out of the 6 of us was missing and I was going to be there in minutes. They still refused. Once I got there, then they said they could take our name. It then became a 30 minute wait. While I was waiting, I overheard the host answer the phone and tell another hotel guest that if you just call down from the room, they can put you on the list and call the number when the table is ready. I was enraged!! Policies at this hotel vary from employee to employee! Customer service policies need to be consistent to provide fair, timely service to all patrons. This needs to be clarified and retaught to all their employees. The food itself was average.

The last time we ate here we ate at the breakfast buffet. We were seated right away and service was much better this time. The food was also much better, fresher and tastier. The breakfast buffet has an excellent variety of foods. Make your own omelets, pancakes, sausage and bacon. My favorite was the French toast! It was sooo tasty! There was lots of tropical fruit and it was perfectly ripe. I wish I would have come here sooner for breakfast because this is what this restaurant does best. Otherwise, service in the barefoot bar and the main dining room was lacking.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
1 Thank NurseElisa
Denver, Colorado
“Great Atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We met friends here for drinks and dinner. We had a reservation for a table for 11 in the main dining room but when we got there, we realized that you can't get "bar" food in the dining room and since we had our kids, teens and young adults, with us and we knew they would want burgers and stuff. I was kind of bummed about this because I wanted something on the main menu but didn't want to pay for 5 expensive entrees when the kids really wanted burgers. So we put our name on the list for the outside patio and we didn't wait too long, which is amazing for a big group. We loved the calamari and the poke apps. Everyone liked their food. Honestly, my fresh fish was pretty dry, but everything else we had was really good. The service and atmosphere were both wonderful. Hint: It is very difficult to get a reservation on a Friday night because of the Waikiki fireworks. So, if you want a reservation at a reasonable time on a Friday night, call WAY ahead.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“eating out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

preferred the bar menu also the area the resteraunt section can be very hot if there is no breeze.Unfortunatly the waiting time can be lengthy,also drinks were quite pricy.

Visited July 2014
Elkhart, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We spent 11 days in Hawaii and went to Dukes twice--once for lunch and once for dinner. The lunch buffet was awesome with a wide variety of salads, meats, cousecouse, pastas, etc and worth the $16 charge.
We learned how busy Dukes is so we made a reservation for dinner a few nights later. Dinner was just as tasty with the fresh catch of the day on a bed of wild rice. (It was nice to not see "sticky" white rice on my plate since it is served with EVERYTHING over here--even breakfast.).
You also won't find a better view of the ocean from their dining room. And the live music was fun as well. Worth the wait-- if you have too.

• 5 of 5 stars Food