“Exceptional and Well Worth Every Penny!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Mer - L'Aperitif is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,946 Restaurants in Honolulu
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Lewers Street
Description: La Mer is far more than a restaurant, it’s a degustation destination. Celebrated as Halekulani’s finest and Hawaii's longest, consecutively ranked AAA Five Diamond Restaurant, this consummate dining experience is unmatched. The internationally acclaimed menu features Neoclassic French cuisine expertly crafted and served amid majestic and romantic ocean views of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head. Indigenous ingredients are uniquely blended in masterful dishes inspired by flavors from the south of France to produce an unsurpassed dining experience. An award-winning wine list is available to complement the perfect dining experience. Jacket or long sleeve dress shirt, slacks and dress shoes are required for men. As an elegant fine dining restaurant, La Mer restricts patrons to adults and children 8 years or older.
Los Angeles, California
“Exceptional and Well Worth Every Penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This exceptional restaurant offers a 3,4 and 5 course tasting menu that is out of this world. We did the 5 course and while it was pricey, it was perfection for those wanting a romantic place to watch the sea and feel the tradewinds come through the large open windows while enjoying some of the most delicious food served in Oahu. Located inside The Halakulani this is such a special place. The wine list is extraordinary, the portions were fine, but the flavors and textures of each dish were memorable. Great service and a wonderful place to watch the sunset while hearing traditional Hawaiian music from the lawn below. The restuarant was once the home of one of the wealthy families in Hawaii and from the minute you enter you treated with great courtesy. No loud shirts otherwise they will give you a jacket to wear. This is perfect for couples, families (no small children) and is really special. I will return.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Close to perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

My Wife and I dined at La Mer to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. I advised them of the occasion when booking and they made sure that we had a special night. I also warned them that I don't eat meat and they happily modified my Entree and Main accordingly. Despite the fact that we dined on a Friday night, the restaurant was not terribly busy. We had a table overlooking The House Without a Key, so were treated to Hawaiian music and Hula Dancing for the first hour or so.
The staff were attentive but relaxed. There when we needed them, but always at a comfortable distance.
We chose a very nice wine from the Loire Valley after discussing our preference with the Sommelier.

The food was superb. I tried Abalone for the first time & doubt that it will ever be this good again.
For desert, I had the Soufflé. Again, my first so I can not claim to know what I am talking about when I say it was delicious.
I can see how some reviewers compare it to bread and butter pudding but they must be used to especially delicious pudding.

I have only one negative thing to say. Despite how good the waiters tell you the Coffee is, insist on Espresso or you will get filtered coffee. I know that the locals seem to think that this is how good coffee should taste, but it's not.

It was what we expected. Small portions, perfectly cooked and beautifully presented, yet we left feeling full and very content.
The price was high, but no more than you would pay in any 1st class restaurant.

For a similar occasion, we would return.

USA
“I was so disappointed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had eaten at the Halikalni's fine-dining restaurant 10 years prior and so we planned a romantic dinner at La Mer. The entire experience was a disappointment! We made the reservation early with some specific requests. The sunset was nice. We enjoyed that at least. The matre 'd seemed unaware of our requests and did a great deal of sighing with a lot of drama, to produce a suitable table with view. The waiter was on the snobbish side and not helpful in the least. The worst part, though, was the food! It was so disappointing! The martinis were (get this) HOT when they arrived 25 minutes after ordered. The hot food arrived cold. The cold food arrived warm.

We often eat at fine dining spots and we are very appreciative of great service and probably even over-tip. But this was just a mess from start to finish. I truly cannot recommend this, especially in light of the cost of the experience (Over $350 for the two of us).

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Leesburg, Virginia
“Gorgeous view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We recently ate at La Mer restaurant. It was a wonderful place to watch the sunset. My husband and I both had the 3 course menu. It was absolutely delicious and it was definitely enough food.

The atmosphere is very nice and the service was excellent. I highly recommend trying the restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Beautiful restaurant, but the food doesn't quite match the price.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The dining room is truly beautiful, and the view over the ocean is spectacular. The service was very good, though not quite as sharp as one might expect. The food is certainly better than one finds at many resorts. But at $110 for the cheapest prix fixe, our one meal here should have been much more memorable. It the value were more in line with the quality, La Mer would merit a higher rating. Perhaps for a special occasion, one might go for the beautiful atmosphere.

• Visited February 2013