“I'm Glad I went Back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hy's Steak House - Waikiki

Hy's Steak House - Waikiki
2440 Kuhio Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815-3347 (Waikiki)
808-922-5555
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hy's Steak House - Waikiki is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 1,906 restaurants in Honolulu
Cross street: Uluniu Avenue
Atlanta, Georgia
“I'm Glad I went Back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The first time I walked into Hy's, I sat down at the bar because I was by myself in Honolulu on business to have a nice steak. The bartender who never introduced himself semi looked up, continued his glass washing, filled a couple restaurant drink orders, and basically ignored me. I actually got up and walked out with the thought that "if we are starting out this way, I am NOT spending $80 on a steak from a nasty bartender". As I left, I made a comment to the hostess (who turned out the be the owner) and said, "I am walking out without eating and I think you should know that". BTW, I was the ONLY customer at the bar.

I walked around Waikiki and it is horribly difficult to find decent food. Lots of pricey places and chain restaurants but I kept thinking about the smell of the food cooking at Hy's. Before I left, I had a very nice conversation with the owner and so I decided to return for dinner -- this time asking to be seated in the dining room. I was thanked PROFUSELY for making the decision to return and, I must say, this was one of the better steaks I have had.

Yes, it was pricey, but so was every other restaurant I ate at in Waikiki. Most not living up to even half of what they promise. Hy's is the exception. Hy's was an EXCELLENT steak, superb service (once you ditch the bartender), and just a friendly place. It is upscale and you can tell it is family owned, which I love. I recommend it as long as you're up for the bill. In the end, after a week, it was not horribly more than any other dinner I had -- including going to Chili's so splurge and enjoy the restaurant!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Tampa, Florida
“good location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great food with top service.......... Nothing to dislike at this rester ante and it's been there for at least 20years

Visited August 2013
Beverly Hills
“Classic 1950's cuisine and atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Our friends raved about this steak house we used to frequent often in the world of 1960-1980. It is true they have redone the interior to classical standards, true the service is obsequious and efficient, true the menu is elegant in written presentation, but then there are problems.

Everything is done to the old recipies, with loads of oil ,butter and salt. This places us 70+ youngsters in grave danger of enjoying a meal, but destroying our health. Unfortunately as well, the salad greens were not fresh, the only side dishes not fried were the baked potato (and the spinach steamed at our request.) I am omitting the fact that the baked potatoe comes with sour cream and bacon . I couldn't say no, but I fasted the next day to atone.

Prices fell short of astronomical, but overall higher than the food would justify.

Unfortunately, the trend this year seems to be widespread abandonment of healthier meals and back to the style of the 1950's and 60's. Somewhere there must be sanity.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
kjtraveler2008
“I can see why people have gotten the "snob" vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I went for our anniversary dinner while on vacation. My husband is hispanic and looked like a local. When we arrived the hostess asked the manager who was standing up front if she should take us to "said a number" and then he said a different number and then asked what part of town we're from. When we got a far back spot in the corner of the restaurant we asked to move to where it was more lively. They did accomodate us but didn't give us the booth we asked for b/c they said it was reserved and it didn't get sat until 1.5 hours later. Overall our server was fantastic, the food was divine and in the middle room w/ the singer we had a great night. We didn't take it personal but would've expected more from a high-end restaurant.

Visited August 2013
Trondheim
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

the food at this was excellent. the steak was perfect. prices are high and you are expected to wear at least jeans at this place. not a place to bring noisy kids.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere