“My belly was Lucky!” 5 of 5 stars

Los Angeles, California
“My belly was Lucky!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

The skinny-

Parking: street if you can find, small pay lots within walking distance
Decor: modern, cool Japanese Pop art
Bathroom: Dark and small, but clean
Service: excellent
Food: excellent

We came here because an article in LA magazine mention the terrific food! We were staying in Waikiki but hopped a city bus $2.50 each way to get there (Near Chinatown) and it is so easy.
Once there we were told the wait at 630p was 20 minutes so we plopped on a bench and the hostess offered bar seats immediately. We were hungry so we sat at the bar.

Pork Belly Bao: Delicious soft bao holding delectable morsels of pork belly, a hoisen smear on the plate adds even more flavor

Lamb Limpia: Limpia are usually small but the portions here were large and delicious - and accompanied with a sweet chili sauce - Yum

The Beast Belly Ramen: I love ramen and was happily surprised that the broth was terrific, 3 kinds of meat and seaweed and green onions. Definitely enough to share

If you are in Honolulu, check this place out....

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Honolulu, Hawaii
“It's Ok...kinda overated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I've been here on a few occasions for First Friday. The interior is clean and modern. The food is ok but not great. I've had their lucky bowl of ramen a couple of times. It's ok but I've had much better ramen at other places on the island. I actually prefer their appetizers like their duck lumpia and pork baos over their ramen.

The main reason why I come is here for late night eats. They have a take out window that serves up food for $5 (The following items I'm listing is only available from their late night window and not on their dine in menu). The only thing that I had that I really liked was their pork sandwich with jang sauce. Unfortunately, this is not a regular menu item. Their kim chee fried rice was alright. I've had better, but makes for good drunk food late at night.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tehachapi, California
“Better than before”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Reviewed it before. Within 1 hour of leaving the airport (HNL), arrived to have dumplings, a beet salad, and the BEAST BOWL. Sort of 80% Asian, 20% French. CRAZY GOOD ! You need to come to this place at 50 North Hotel Street, Honolulu, Hi. (808) 783-6856, mike@luckybelly.com, or luckybelly.com. Simply impressive, not expensive. Wines, Saki, Beers. If you come to Honolulu you must come here. Sometimes a 10 minute wait for a table, or just sit at the bar. Come between 6 and 8 PM. Frank S. just loves this place, atmosphere, the whole shebang.

Honolulu, Hawaii
“A Unique Experiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I used to go to Mini Garden for soup, (I really like the brass plaque outside that pays homage), but there is no comparison. When you enter Lucky Belly you are entering something all together different. The food is all interesting, prepared exquisitely and served graciously. When you leave you are grateful that you were there. Man do I like that soup!

Chicago
“Friend Took Me Here & I Was Pleased”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

The menu is limited, but if you go with a couple of people you can sample the entire menu like we did.
We tried more than 6 different dishes including two ramen bowls and most all were a delicious treat. There were a couple that were a 8 out of 10, but all in all it was a fantastic luncheon experience.
The place closes from 2 to 5ish. I'm also not holding this against them, however, it is something that will be noticed if you tend to dine late and take your time.
On the Saturday we were at the restaurant the music got obnoxiously loud around 2pm. While we were finishing our last bowl and our cocktails the staff started cleaning the tables around us. The cleaning of tables, for some reason, was a little disruptive combined with the louder music.
Lets get to the point: Great food and very good service. I suggest you make plans to come here for lunch or dinner. Just make sure you are ready to leave when the music gets louder. It is kind of like making a speech at the Oscars. When your time is up, it is up.

• Visited October 2013