“I have Opa sandwich special & it was delicious” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
San Diego, California
“I have Opa sandwich special & it was delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Got off from the bus & this place was right in front of bus stop. We were look into the window & this place looks unlike anything in Chinatown, trendy & no funky smell. Clean & service is great.
Food is delicious. Not a veggetarian friendly place though.
Must try their belly bowl!
We will come here every time we are in Honolulu.

• Visited September 2013

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Get the Belly Bowl!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I’ve taken my wife here a few times now. It’s a great place to go for a date, but not if you are looking for a romantic candle lit dinner. The menu is small, but it is always supplemented by unique daily specials. Their ramen is quite good, especially the Belly Bowl. If you are unfamiliar with ramen and are expecting something like a can of soup, you probably won’t appreciate how good it is. Their drink menu is decently sized for a restaurant their size, but if you are out bar hopping you may want to stick to other locations.

San Jose, California
“Get out of Waikiki to try this place, it's worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just a short cab ride from Waikiki Beach (13 minutes?) and hidden in the old Chinatown district is this fairly new, incredibly delicious and fun little restaurant "Lucky Belly". We read the recent reviews on Trip Advisor and gave it a try. Best experience imaginable. Young people own and run this place. It's hip, cool and well decorated. Casual but nice, mostly local folks. Staff was beyond friendly. Allie the bartender (such a nice person) wrote down wonderful suggestions for other places to try as well.

Arrived @6:40 with no reservation, waited about 15 minutes. Chose to eat at the bar. It was comfortable & cozy there. Started with two of their unusual and tasty cocktails (Desert Flower $10 - a hibiscus margarita of sorts) and then an Orval Beer $11 (great Belgium beer)

Ordered dinner tapas style so we could sample more items between the two of us. Highly recommend the Shrimp gyoza on edamame avocado puree $7 - clean bites bursting with fresh flavor, the oxtail dumplings $8 - roasted tender bites of smoky lean oxtail garnished with a cream mustard sauce, and the favorite of our night... lobster Shu Mai $12 - nice chunks of grilled tasting lobster with an incredible mild lemon beurre blanc sauce! Could not pass up their Shrimp Kim Chi bowl $12 - shrimp, kim chi and ramen noodles in a big warm bowl, plenty for two. Tasty finish to a perfect meal! Entire meal & drinks under $80 for two.

The dinner was very affordable - this was definitely fine food, down to the presentations.
Staff friendly, courteous and helpful. Even called cab for us.
Patrons were friendly and were mostly around the 30-40ish age crowd.
Kids would be fine here but didn't see any that night.

Had room for dessert but since they don't offer one, they recommended Alan Wongs.
Great idea, we got in a cab and finished up there with yummy desserts and decaf.

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Lunch with Charles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Another adventure with Charles!

He made me pick a place and I knew this was one on my mind, so I told him we were going here! Walked along the outer walls until we found the entrance.

It looked like it was packed when we walked in but we got seated right away. We got a table along the wall. I got the seat against the wall since the chair didn't have a backing.

Their menu was a double sided piece of paper. At first I didn't understand where to look at. I glanced first at the right column (which were drinks) before glancing at the left column. There wasn't much to choose from and I wasn't sure what would be good to eat or how big the portions were.

As we decided on what to order, our waitress, Kimi got us water and was helpful when we asked questions about certain items on the menu. One question I asked, was in reference to their bowls... IT ONLY COMES IN ONE SIZE! I looked over at the party next to us, and her bowl was huge! Quite intimidating...

That's alright! I ordered the Lucky Bowl anyway.
(http://www.yelp.com/user…)
Kimi reassured that the bowl wasn't that bad and I took her word for it. Yet when it came out... GOODNESS! Where to begin?! I mixed up the contents of the bowl and after it looked cooled down I started slurping away. Compared to order ramen dishes it had a different taste to it. I really don't know what it was but it was different. I knew there was going to be somewhat of a hard boiled egg but I didn't know it was intact until I started breaking it apart. (Poor egg) There was an ingredient though that left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not sure what it was but I don't want to experience eating it again.

Charles got the beef brisket. (https://sphotos-b.xx.fbc…) It looked so good! I plan on trying that the next time I come.

The interior of the restaurant, wasn't something I expected but it was cozy. I like the bricks and furniture (not really the backless chairs). And I love their selection of music! I usually never notice music playing while I dine but their playlist were oldies and I love it. I started swaying a bit. I hope no one thought anything horrible.

As we waited for our checks, they were in no rush in kicking us out and it really took a while for us to get change.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Better that I thought it would be!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Lucky Belly is in the heart of what used to be the red light district and still has that seedy district feel to it, but is a "lucky find"! Great apps!!! Had the oxtail dumpling loaded with meat, shrimp gyoza true in it form with chunky shrimp filling, and finally the heavenly pork belly bao.... FM! So good!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere